1976 Winnebago Sportsman Den, Main Battery Drain.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullseye

Hello RVFORUM! Names Bullseye. I'm a new proud member here! I got a problem... Need some help/advice ect...

I recently Purchased a 1976 Winnebago Sportsman Den at auction. It was a steal price for a great working machine. I Purchased her to have her restored for my family use. It came with everything needed! and everything works. Sept I've been noticing I have a power drain in my main battery. I noticed when I got her she had come with a solar panel trickle those small 12 volt dc. My guess to start her up? But it was not connected and laying on the ground I could not find the wires. She starts up everytime when you jump her No problems at all. It's a Chevy 350. The alternator looks brand new, but I have not tested it I just got her a few days ago. I know it could be majority of things... but looking for some type of directional help/ tips things to check. Has anyone had this model?

Welcome and congratulations on your classic Winnebago!  The little solar panel is designed to negate the parasitic loads on the battery.  Give Winnebago Owner Relations a call Monday - they might be able to help with a wiring diagram.  It might take some time to track down your phantom load.

You might want to take your chassis battery down to the local parts store and have it checked. If everything in the coach is working fine, but you still have to jump it to get it started, you might just have a bad starting battery. If your battery tests good and just needs a charge, then have your charging system checked. Like John said, the solar panel may just be to offset any parasitic drain, you can probably get by without that for now.

Thanks so much! The motorhome has been great! It came with everything including solarpanels on the roof that work flawlessly with my dc invert-er. Will Jumping the motorhome cause any problems? Is there a way I can get my solarpanels to keep my main battery from draining?

Brother Bill said:
You might want to take your chassis battery down to the local parts store and have it checked. If everything in the coach is working fine, but you still have to jump it to get it started, you might just have a bad starting battery. If your battery tests good and just needs a charge, then have your charging system checked. Like John said, the solar panel may just be to offset any parasitic drain, you can probably get by without that for now.

Thats What I'm about to do. Just go to my local auto store and have them charge the battery and test it. The coach was sitting for 2-3 months at tow yard before i picked her up @ the auction. Could that be a reason? Thanks for the help. I'm going to try these options and I will get back to you all.

I was reading that the small window solar panel is used to keep the battery at a steady charge/ Used to jump the battery through a 12volt dc?

Jumping the motorhome shouldn't cause issues short term, provided it's done correctly. I doubt that the solar panel will provide the power to do it.
Is there a way I can get my solarpanels to keep my main battery from draining?
That will depend on the condition of the battery and how the panels are configured into the system. If the battery is bad, nothing in the world will keep it from draining. Someone else may be able to help with the solar panel issue, I've never used them. Again, like John said, check with the folks at Winnebago about the panels, they should be able to help.

Brother Bill said:
Jumping the motorhome shouldn't cause issues short term, provided it's done correctly. I doubt that the solar panel will provide the power to do it.That will depend on the condition of the battery and how the panels are configured into the system. If the battery is bad, nothing in the world will keep it from draining. Someone else may be able to help with the solar panel issue, I've never used them. Again, like John said, check with the folks at Winnebago about the panels, they should be able to help.

Perfect Thanks Bill for the tips, much is appreciated.

I got another question is this model that I have smog except in the state of california?or is that 1975?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom