1988 Kit companion calay manuals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good day,

We just purchased an old 88 Kit companion (yesterday), and I'm on the hunt for manuals of any kind. I've searched the internet but even looking up this model has been a struggle. I did manage to find manuals for the fridge, furnace, and stove though.

Thanks!

Creative searches with Google or Bing is your only hope. But few trailer owner manuals have much useful information anyway, so you probably already have as much help as you are going to find. I'm not familiar with Kit brand manuals, but the typical RV owner manual is generic to the brand and covers multiple models at a high level. Few RV makers invest much is manuals to help the owner.

This site does have a list of resources for locating manuals, but don't get your hopes too high.

Is it easier to just get individual manuals for the appliances? I guess I was just looking for something that would cover the plumbing and electrical. I suppose I can just look at things in the camper myself and figure it out.

Yes, there are multiple sources for RV appliance manuals and many go back for decades. For example, Bryant RV and this one for refrigerators.

Plumbing and electrical schematics are rare - most RV builders never published them but may have sent out a copy if some owner requested it.

I guess I was just looking for something that would cover the plumbing and electrical.
The only RV manufacturer that I know of who makes that information available is Winnebago and theirs is a series of drawing available in .pdf format on the website. I highly doubt that anything such as you are looking for ever existed. Kit did have a very respectable reputation when they were in business. They ceased operation in 2003.

Follow up question, I want to replace the jack on the front by the hitch, if the trailer is ~4500lbs do I need a jack that exceeds that?
You need a jack that is rated to handle the hitch weight of the trailer, usually 15% or so of the total weight for a conventional trailer. If you can't determine the actual hitch weight err on the conservative side. Since you said "jack" and not "jacks" I assume this is a conventional trailer?

What you want is an A-frame tongue jack and Amazon has a lot of choices. Even though the tongue weight would only be 15% to 20% of the total trailer weight, I suggest that you get at least a 1500# jack since you will probably at times want to level the trailer with it while hitched, or if you use an equalizer hitch you will probably lift the entire rear/tongue when putting the bars in place. I would also suggest that you consider upgrading to an electric jack since they are not expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom