1988 Pace Arrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrendaK45

We're looking at a 33ft 1988 Pace Arrow for $3500 everything works the fridge was just put in 2 years ago but it has a couple small cuts in the fiberglass the seller said just buy a can of fiberglass to put on it and that will fix it? The tires are newer and in good shape but the windshield has a crack and the window by the door is broke out the ceiling also needs fixed but he said it never leaked just let go and needs tacked back up it also needs all 3 new battery's and has no stabilizers (not sure how big of a problem this is) so Im not sure if this is worth the money or not because $3500 is everything we've saved for an rv so this stuff would have to be fixed a little bit at a time we've never had an rv so we dont know much about them so I'm very nervous about this whole thing

Attachments

• 100MEDIA95IMAG0504.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0504.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 31
  • 100MEDIA95IMAG0505.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0505.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 100MEDIA95IMAG0519.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0519.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 100MEDIA95IMAG0508.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0508.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 100MEDIA95IMAG0512.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0512.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 100MEDIA95IMAG0518.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0518.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 27
If you are prepared and able to repair this and future items yourself, it might be ok BUT if not, you have a major problem with that budget. There WILL be more things to repair in the near future in a coach of that age. You cannot spend your whole budget on the machine with no reserve for maintenance and repairs without buying a driveway ornament.

If that fix was so easy why wasn't it done???  As far as tires are concerned, what is "newer"? Check the actual date of manufacture moulded into on each tire. Anything close to 7 years old is ready for replacement, regardless of 'good shape', whatever that may mean ($$$$).  A windshield crack is also $$$ as the windshield has to be replaced (and the vehicle may not be drive-able in that condition in some states), not to mention the potential for rust etc. in that windshield frame which may require $$ before a new glass can be fitted.  Batteries will run in the 300$ range too.

Based on  your description of the possible defects and the owners cavalier attitude toward maintenance, this coach suffers from quite a bit of neglect. I would run, not walk away from this one and only go shopping with a much healthier budget in hand, including a healthy reserve, the next time.

Welcome to the RVForum. 

My feeling is this is more work than you might want to tackle.  If you are working on a tight budget you have some big expenses right off the bat.  The windshield could be costly, the broken window would need to be fixed.  Just because the owner told you the tear doesn't leak, it still might and it could have leaking which could mean there is water damage and wood rot, a very expensive thing to fix.  Just because the tires look good, you would need to check the date of manufacturer and they should not be older than 7 years.  Tires rot out and can look good but be bad.  Tires are expensive perhaps $300-$400 per tire.  If you have 6 that's $2500 +/-.

There are many articles in the library which help with "pre-purchase checklist", "DOT tire codes etc ; check it out.

In my opinion, I think you might be better off to keep looking.

Marsha~

Money Pit! Keep looking.

Good luck, and welcome

Dan

Yep, money pit.

See, if a person had the right skills, an old coach like this could be rehabbed....but would the net product be worth it?  The time and money spent bringing this one up to snuff would be better spent on a nice coach to begin with.  It is ALWAYS cheaper to buy a nice ________ than rehab a ratty one.....RV, sports car, truck, motorcycle you name it.  So unless you just want a project and aren't concerned with time or money, run. 

We bought a older RV a 1988 and knew it wasn't perfect, but I am able to fix most things and took the plunge with it, so far we have replaced the front air bags rear stab bushings, repaired the A/C and some more, We are also on a very tight budget so it helps and saves money when I can do it, they are not that hard to work on with help from here and you tube, think it over twice before you get into something you will regret later

I started out with an old coach that needed some repair, but I could do everything myself. If you can do the repair yourselves, and you only have so much money, it make sence to go this way. Even if you bought a coach at 3 times the price it would most likely need some work to get it your way.  Those type ceilings fall down with age, BUT it can also be caused from a leak, that you have to determine which caused this. Water will normally leave stains, and is clearly idenitfyable. Heck I still own an old coach, and there's always something to do.

I would say no you can find better.. and all 6 tires on my 88 jamboree looked brand new and all 6 blew in about 3 months of driving

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom