1992 Fleetwood Bounder 460 7.5l loss of fuel pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ncecs said:
Thanks Old Crow. Yeah, ignition control module was our first suspicion. However, it tested good. Nevertheless, I replaced it since it was so old. Sadly, the problem persists to this day. REALLY frustrating. I find references to this same problem all over the internet, but no one ever seems to tell what finally resolves the problem. Thanks again.

I am having this same problem and it is repeatable.  I have a 1995 RV built on a Ford E350 Econoline 7.5L.  First time it happened was after driving it for a few hours.  Ended up having to get it towed back home.  A couple days later tested fuel pressure and everything was good.  Drove it around for a bit and up a couple hills with the dog house off and the passenger manifold was glowing cherry red.  Replaced the catalytic converter a couple days later.  I took it out a couple weeks later and after 62 miles the engine died.  Let it set for a couple hours and was able to drive it back to the storage facility. 

Based upon what I have been reading and I have been reading a lot, it is either #1) the fuel pump and #2) the ignition control module.  Even on the Ford Truck forums, they say the fuel pumps in those older models sucked.

So the 3 things that I am going to be doing on the RV in July:
1) This coming week, I'm going to work on getting the fuel pump replaced.  The pump for my RV is $378 from Summit Racing.  It is around $440 from Amazon. 
2) I bought an ICM along with plugs, wires, rotor and roter cap.  I'm going have a friend do a tune up since the last one was done in 2010 by a previous owner and I'm not sure what all they did other than replace the plugs.  I bought all that stuff off Amazon.  I went Motorcraft on everything except the plugs.  The plugs are Autolite copper. 
3) I'm going to see how much it is going to cost to replace the manifold with headers.  I have a slight exhaust leak so if I have to go through the cost of replacing the manifold, I might was well spend a little more and put on headers.

Once I do these, I am going to feel real confident on taking the RV out on a couple long trips.

Back
Top Bottom