1995 Rexhall Aerbus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilcane88

Hello all, I'm new to both this website and Recreational Vehicles and have a quick question.

What would you guys give for a 1995 Rexhall Aerbus class A gasoline RV that needs  generator work, slide seal, drain pipe, and a furnace? The average retail is somewhere around $11000 i believe but i cant seem to find one going for less than $20,000. Poor retail is $9500. Since my family is new to RVs, we were wanting to get something cheap to learn in.

All help is appreciated/ Thanks

Here is a 1995 Rexhall Aerbus in Austell, Ga., just a few miles west of Atlanta off I-20.  It's selling for $6500 and needs a bit of work, almost exactly as you described...is this the one you're talking about?

Steve

yes thats it exactly.. i got some more detailed pics of it just a sec ago and it has some pretty bad body damage to the right rear of the vehicle..what do ya think?

I'm probably not the best guy on here to ask for an opinion on this rig; I just purchased my first RV last year.  However, if you like projects, seems like you've got a few on your hands with this one. 

I'm not familiar with the Rexhalls so I can't offer an opinion as to its value, but if it was me, I'd keep looking, especially on eBay where some very good deals can be found these days; but that's just me, I don't care much for projects if I can avoid them until they rear their ugly heads.

The owner of this Rexhall lowered his price by $1500 in the last few days and he's been advertising this RV for a couple of months; I've seen it several times before on Craigslist.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure that there will be someone on this forum that will be far more familiar with the Rexhall.

Steve 

Frankly, I would want to receive a coach like that as a gift rather than pay for it.  For one thing, generator work is extremely expensive.  And drain pipe (what drain - sewer???) sounds ominous. A new furnace is no small item either.

You didn't mention tires, mileage and the general state of maintenance, but this one sounds neglected.

Maybe it's worth $5k or so, if you are handy and in need of a project. If you are thinking to pay somebody to repair it for you, forget it. You will go broke!

i agree that it does sound a bit neglected. And i do plan to do the work myself. Here's the ad listed below as posted on craigslist.

"We bought this RV as a fixer - upper but now our plans have changed so we need to sell.

This RV still needs some minor electrical and cosmetic work but at this price, it is still a great deal. IT IS VERY MECHANICALLY SOUND.
As far as the electrical - it doesn't seem to be making a good connection. The slide works but you have to touch the wires together to make it work. The outlets on one half of the rv don't work but the other half does. We were told a switch on the generator needed to be replaced to correct this. We have never used the water system so don't know about it. The generator works but needs a tune up. There is no furnace but there are two a/c units on the roof. There is a standard household refrigerator in the rv. There is no microwave. The drain hose to the holding tank was dry rotted so it needs a new one. There are three doors that need to be replaced on the underneath storage area. There is some body damage to the rear passenger side that was there when we bought it. There is no awning. The ladder to the roof needs to be tightened up. The seal around the slide out needs to be replaced.
Mechanically, the rv drives fine. It has a good engine and transmission. We drove it to Missouri and back without any problems. On the drive back, we even towed a car. The 8 cylinder engine has 62,332 miles and runs great. It is a ford chassis and runs on gas. NO COMMERCIAL LICENSE NEEDED! It has a working back up camera and a new battery. The hydraulic motor on the slide out is new as well as one of the suspension air bags.

The interior is clean and spacious with new laminate flooring and new carpeting in the cab area. There is a bedroom in the rear with a closet and drawers for clothing storage as well as two nightstands and extra hanging storage.
The bathroom features a stand up shower with skylight and sink as well as a new toilet.
The kitchen has a propane cook top and a new standard refrigerator. The original table and chairs are provided ( not shown in pictures ) as well as a new futon couch.

It will probably take a few thousand dollars to get it in shape but even at that, the price we are asking is still a great deal.CURRENT ASKING PRICE IS FIRM. Compare this to what is out there and you will know that this is too good a deal to pass up...

THIS IS THE RV YOU HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR! COME AND GET IT!!!! "

Sounds to me like they've done some work on cosmetics but not on mechanicals, so if you're OK with that then it's your call but I'd personally be very leery of what I'm taking on by buying.  I'd wait for another deal.

any ideas as to what ""switch"" they may be talking about on the generator needing replacing?? and are parts like slide out seals available?

The very first line in the ad. should really say, ..."We bought this rig as a fixer-upper, until we found out how expensive it would be to fix, so our plans changed and we are looking for someone to take it off our hands."

BT

Run and hide from this RV. In our current economy there are much better deals out there. This RV would not even be a nice gift.
Good luck on your search,
Jim

The "switch" they are talking about is not in the generator - it is a transfer switch that provides the connection to either shore power or generator as the 120vac power source. That might be the problem, or it might be in the load center (AC breaker panel),. Hard to know without further info.

Slide seals should be obtainable but the work can be hard because access is often difficult. There are three sets of seals: (1) the "wiper" flaps you see along the edges, (2) the inner seal (seals against the inside wall when slide is out), (3)the outer seal (seals against outside wall when slide is in).

Nothing in the description sounds terribly serious, but the list is long and probably incomplete.  And I have to wonder why they haven't already fixed some of these seemingly simply items. Best guess is that they weren't as easy as the owner thought when HE bought it and so he wants to offload it to somebody else.

Tires were not mentioned and that is another big ticket item. Age is the key factor, not mileage or tread wear - they need to be replaced at 7 years regardless.

I don't think a 95 Aerbus gas model is worth more than $10k even in top condition. But I guess you could probably fix it up for $3k, so maybe $6500 is not unreasonable except for the RISK that  there are other things wrong that may be expensive. It is clear to me this rig has been neglected and that suggests that there are other things failed or about to fail. Personally, I don't like the odds in this gamble and think you should be able to find a better one than this for around $10k.

thanks to each and everyone of you that replied. I do understand what you all are saying about the risks. and i agree. as for the tires they are said to be in good condition but need to be replaced. (age?) The only reason im considdering it is because we are not wanting to spend more than $6000 on the vehicle and the things that need to be replaced can be purchased over the next year as we can afford. Of course we wouldn't use the RV without fixing the major problems so it would be a while before we got to really use it.

If this deal doesnt work out then it looks like i'll  be stuck in either an OLD hunk of junk or a decent pull behind trailer.

Thanks,
                                                              Robert

lilcane88 said:
The only reason im considdering it is because we are not wanting to spend more than $6000 on the vehicle and the things that need to be replaced can be purchased over the next year as we can afford.

If those tires are the originals, you can't replace them over the next year, unless you do not plan to use the vehicle until then. IMO, with tires of that age, you will be lucky to get it home with a blow out. Go slow!

Richard

what i meant is that we would make a prioritized list of things.. Tires would be at the top of that list probably getting replaced on the way home.

lilcane88 said:
what i meant is that we would make a prioritized list of things.. Tires would be at the top of that list probably getting replaced on the way home.

That is a good plan.  However, keep in mind the tires are questionable and could go at any time so best to drive slow and carefully taking it home.  I would recommend checking the tire date codes before moving the RV so you know exactly what you have.

i know ive read it somewhere on here before, but can you point me in the direction of the thread on how to read the date code?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom