1996 NATIONAL TROPI-CAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lytton1

I would like to find the code reader location on my 96 NATIONAL TROPI-CAL, . If anyone could help me , that would be wonderful . I just can't seem to be able to find it.
  Patrick

If you're asking about the VIN bar code, it should be on top of the dashboard on the drivers side corner right at the base of the windshield.

If your talking about the data link connector (obd2), it should be in reach of the drivers seat, usually tucked under the dash area.

In a 1996 it's probably an OBD1 rather than OBD2.  Whether Ford or Chevy chassis, it should be located under the dash near the steering column. Finding it in that maze of wires can be a challenge, though.

96 was a cross over year for GM, it could be OBD l or it could be OBD ll. If the port was never mounted by the coach builder it will be on the left side of the steering column. It may be loose, or it may still be zip tied on the main harness. The port it self may also have a cover over it. If you know you for sure have a 96 chassis it should be OBD ll. My buddy has a 96 Storm built on a 95 chassis, and it has a OBD l ecm and a OBD ll port, so it is a odd ball for sure.

Thank you all for your replys, I WILL START ON the search today.  I do have both code readers so if I find it I should be ok . I will also let you know if/where I find it.
  Patrick

Thanks to everyone that replyed to my question. I finally found the code reader plugin. I T WAS AN OBD1 and it was under the engine boot/cover inside the motorhome. It was in a dark corner on the left side near the front of the boot/cover, but under the cover above the front sparkplug on the left side . I will probaly be asking more questions later. Oh is a Ford chassis and a Ford motor.

PATRICK

The engines used in motorhomes generally transitioned from OBD1 to OBD2 later than the cars and light trucks. They were not covered by the mandated change for passenger vehicles, so Ford & Chevy did it when it was convenient for their production schedule. 

]Hello , I GOT SOME HELP FROM some of you fellows a couple of days ago on my 1996 National Tropi-Cal.  here is another problem I have. I PUT IN A NEW MAPsensior and it helped quite a bit. But it still bogs down on steeper hills and gives of the odd backfire. Any ideas would be greatly apriciated.
Patrick

Back
Top Bottom