1996 Pleasureway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmski23

Hello, I am new to the Forum. I am interested in buying a 1996 pleasure way that I see on rvtrader.com, and it looks to be in pretty good shape. My question is, it's listed at $19,500, is that a good price? The only reason why I think it might be a little on the high side is that the NADA value is much less than that.

Thanks for any input.
Tom M.

Tom,
Some people have the similar opinions to Seiler, I am not one of them, but that coach in the picture turned 50 last year. It is higher than the book value and there may be a reason, there also might not be any reason. Or the real reason might be that they seller wanted to be able to come down for a real buyer.
First, try to locate an independent RV inspector. Such exist and may not be cheap to engage buy will be cheaper than buying into a looser.
Second, find out all you can before you contact the seller. I don't know this unit and it may have some significant issues that owner do know about.
Best of luck.
Think about the chat here next Wednesday. There is a lot of experience there.
Matt_C

Tom,
Some people have the similar opinions to Seiler, I am not one of them, but that coach in the picture turned 50 last year. It is higher than the book value and there may be a reason, there also might not be any reason. Or the real reason might be that they seller wanted to be able to come down for a real buyer.
First, try to locate an independent RV inspector. Such exist and may not be cheap to engage buy will be cheaper than buying into a looser.
Second, find out all you can before you contact the seller. I don't know this unit and it may have some significant issues that owner do know about.
Best of luck.
Matt_C
Thanks Matt,
I didn't see the picture in the post, that is not the unit I'm interested in. It is here;

I agree with you that an older rig is not necessarily a money pit if it has been well taken care of. I have a 1997 RAV4 with 210,000 miles on it runs like a champ and cost me very little as I have maintained it all the way.
I have been doing my homework for a while now and had two questions for the seller, and I was thinking of offering them 15K

Tom,
Best of luck.
Matt_C
And could you please elaborate on the chat you referred to? Thank you.

Welcome to the forums! Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks here! If you would describe your situation a bit and what you want to do with an RV, you will get better-tailored advice and answers. I know that once you get to a certain vintage and price point, you can find pretty much anything (ie class A, C, or B). Finding one that’s been well maintained (both chassis and house) is your goal. But you don’t have to limit yourself to only smaller rigs. Unless, of course, that’s part of your plan… hence my suggestion to describe your situation and planned usage.

Pleasure Way (Canadian company) builds very good products, however it comes down to the drive train and chassis. Is it the one with 20K+ miles? Dodge trucks, especially before about year 2000, had weak suspension and unless the front end has all new ball joints tie rods and other components, you will need to budget to replace everything in the front suspension. Dodge vans, are very prone to rust, so a through rust inspection underneath and everywhere would be warranted.

You would be much better off with a Class B on a Ford chassis.

Charles

Maybe, but everything else is $50,000 to $100,000 or more or more, which is way out of my current budget, and this unit looks like it's been well cared for.
Which is about how much you need to spend to get a reliable RV. There is so much you do not know about RVs. They all look like they have been well cared for. But it is the things you cannot see that are the problem. Leaking roofs allow mold to build up. Tires are only good for 7 years and the odds are the tires are out of date.

Which is about how much you need to spend to get a reliable RV. There is so much you do not know about RVs. They all look like they have been well cared for. But it is the things you cannot see that are the problem. Leaking roofs allow mold to build up. Tires are only good for 7 years and the odds are the tires are out of date.
Well we have been renting to get to know some. And I'd rather buy one for 15 to 20 k and put in a thousand here and there for maintenance. I'm planning on asking about the roof, tires, and chassis. We're not rich.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Well we have been renting to get to know some. And I'd rather buy one for 15 to 20 k and put in a thousand here and there for maintenance. I'm planning on asking about the roof, tires, and chassis. We're not rich.
Just be extremely careful, I'd want to see some kind of history to make sure it's not 179,000 miles and I'd have it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic, run the generator and do a complete checkout of the appliances, heat and a/c and not just for a minute or two. If the seller balks at you spending a day inspecting the van, move on.

If all it takes is a few thousand more dollars then there is no problem. I would bet it will take many more thousands of dollars to make it usable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom