1997 Itasca Sunrise 28RQ And 30RQ Versus 1997 Itasca Sundancer 31WQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Truck451

As the 1997 Itasca Sunrise 28RQ And 30RQ on the GM/Workhorse P-Chassis powered by the 6.5 liter Turbo Diesel, and the 1997 Itasca Sundancer 31WQ powered by the Navistar 7.3 liter Direct Injection Turbo Diesel were very close in price when new, the 6.5 liter Turbo Diesel had put out 195 Horsepower whereas the 7.3 liter Direct Injection Turbo Diesel when used in an Econoline/E-Series had put out 215 Horsepower (when compared to the contemporary Heavy-Duty Ford Pickup Trucks putting out anywhere from 230-300 Horsepower while using the Navistar Direct Injection 7.3 liter at that time), meaning that there hardly was any difference in Horsepower between the two Diesel Engines; Winnebago had offered a Rear Bunkhouse in place of the Rear Bedroom in both coaches, both coaches were very close as far as Features and Equipment were concerned, and the only major differences being the size of the Fresh Water and Black and Grey Water Holding Tanks in both coaches; in addition to the Sunrise, being a Class A at the time, not offering a Cabover Bunk or a Drop Down Bunk above the Driver and Front Passenger area, the P-Chassis having a slightly larger Wheel and Tire Size than the Econoline/E-Series Cutaway Chassis, which coach would have you have chosen?

Your question is ‘which I would have chosen’, as if back in 1997. That I cannot answer. But if you’re comparing those to buy used today, I would have to steer you away from the Navistar. We have one in our coach and, while I think it’s a solid power plant, it can be hard to find a shop capable or willing to work on it.

First, the chassis isn GM as there was no Workhorse chassis in 1997. The company did not exist. As to which would be better, with any RV that is now more than 20 years old, the condition is by far the most important consideration. Choose the one that has been better maintained in both mechanical and RV condition. Spend the money to have them evaluated by a professional RV inspector as either one could be a bargain or a financial disaster.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom