1999 Bounder exhaust fumes from generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anshood

I ran my generator while parked at a house I was working on with my son. My wife and I spent the night in MH. In the earlier hours of the morning I began to smell exhaust inside. This is the first time I've run generator for a long period while MH is parked. The generator I'm sure you well know, is located left rear below bedroom.  I'm pretty sure there are no exhaust leaks but being parked could there be a way fumes can enter MH. It seems generator enclosure is somewhat separate from next compartment which is all water etc connections. I do not have this problem when driving with generator running for A/C.  I really can't remember the alarm going off but I replaced it anyway. This really concerns me when my granchildren are with us. Is there some monitor that can be purchased to check all this out or should I take it to a shop? Not sure there is a reputable repair shop near my town of Henderson, Texas. There is one RV dealer about 30 or so miles but haven't had the best luck the times I've used them. Any suggestions is greatly welcomed. By the way I was running the bedroom air on fan only to help cut the noise level of generator.

Though I have never smelled exhaust from my Generator inside the RV, the CO detector has, big time. THis is why I have a CO detector, and a Gen-turi.  I have (As has the CO detector) Gotten a wiff of a neighbor's generator as well. Which is why I request YOU have a Gen-turi if parked next to me.

With the Genturi I've done a few "long" runs (over 24 horus) with no hint of a problem.

We had the same problem with our 2000 Bounder after we bought it used a couple of years ago. I found an open wire chase chase under the bedroom nightstand that the fumes were coming through. Check out this old thread: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,49801.msg460895.html#msg460895 I haven't had an issue with it since fixing it two years ago.

Thanks for your help, a GENTURI is on the way plus I will check all entry places, holes etc. Thanks again.

It's not unusual for exhaust odor to begin to enter the rig if the wind is just right. Or sometimes it happens when the wind completely dies, letting the fumes come up around the windows. That's why a Genturii (or home made equivalent) is popular among folks who use the genset a lot. Another solution for temporary use is to simply put a box fan on the ground near the exhaust pipe to blow the fumes away. Crude but effective!

You need to have a functioning CO detector if you plan to use the genset while parked. Ought to have one regardless, but especially for that use.

anshood said:
.......Is there some monitor that can be purchased to check all this out or should I take it to a shop? Not sure there is a reputable repair shop near my town of Henderson, Texas. There is one RV dealer about 30 or so miles but haven't had the best luck the times I've used them.....
I don't think anybody addressed this.  You can find all kinds of CO (carbon monoxide) detectors online.  You can also buy battery operated detectors at Wal-Mart, and they are extremely simple to install (read: no repair shop needed).  No matter where you buy them, they have a very finite life, usually about 5 years as I recall.  The instructions that come with it should tell you how long before it should be replaced. 

Also, don't forget to test all detectors prior to pulling out for each outing, and replace the batteries at least yearly..!  Be safe, and enjoy!

Been mentioned several times over the years..  In addition I have seen folks discussing "Does it need to be an RV type (Attwood for example) OR will a regular Kiddie from Wal-Mart/Home Depot/Lows/Wherever work?

Answer. There are indeed differences between the Kiddie and the Attwood.

The attwood says ATTWOOD on it
The Kiddie says Kiddie
The color is slightly different
The Attwood casek the battery cover has a list of Alarm States stuck on it (Peal and stick label, You can make one using Avery Label pro if you wish)
The Kiddie does not have this list attached.

The attwood battery cover FITS the Kiddie unit perfectly

Half the pages in the ATTWOOD owner's manual I got said KIDDIE on them

Guess what I went with when it was time to replace (Yup, Kiddie, how else would I know all the above).

In short, all the differences are cosmetic, inside they are identical.

Please, it's ATWOOD and KIDDE.  No such brands as ATTWOOD and KIDDIE :(

I have 2 CO sniffers and alarms plus the propane alarm is super sensitive.

Recently I was camping near the pump out station. I had opened up my front door, just had the screen door in use. Before I had a chance to open windows, I got a phone call, so I was on the phone.

A pickup truck pulled up parking halfway on my lot next to a motorhome that was dumping. They left both engines running with the exhaust fumes pointed at my campsite. The truck seemed to be running pretty rough and loud. I was miffed about the noise and waste of fuel but I was trying to ignore the fools.

Suddenly my Carbon Monoxide alarms went off!  I guess their exhaust fumes were enough to alert my alarms. I ran outside to ask them to turn off their engines and they are telling me something is wrong with my alarms. DUH....... 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom