1999 Georgie Boy 33.5' thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeep07

Went to look at a local 1999 georgie boy pursuit 33' RV the other day.  Liked the layout and it didn't have any leaks and was nice inside.  Guy has it priced at 20k which is high and came down to 16.5 after I mentioned what the wholesale value was (~11k by my NADA wholesale guide).  Whats good and bad about a georgie boy?  This was based off a Chevy chassis with the vortec 454 in it.  No slides and no Leveling system.  All appliances in working order but the tires were 8 years old. Milleage was 42k. 

Georgie Boy makes a decent coach, though it sounds like this one was a "stripper" (no jacks or slide). The chassis was one of the last made by Chevrolet (Workhorse took it over in Nov 1999) and has a couple weaknesses. The steering Bell crank is of poor quality and wears quickly, resulting in loose steering. A much better replacement is available from Supersteer and Workhorse has an improved part as well.  This chassis also known for occasional problems with the Autopark gizmo, the thing that locks the wheels when in Park. They seldom get any maintenance, so some of them stick and fail to release. If it hasn't been repaired/replaced on a 99, it may be due. 454's of that vintage are also known for the occasional cracked exhaust manifold or frying spark plug wires if they lay to close to the block.  Sounds terrible, but not all of them suffer every problem.

Obviously it needs new tires too.

Thanks for the heads up on the steering issues. 

There is a 1992 Monico Executive 38' pusher here in town that's been on a lot for quite a while. I called about it months ago and the salesman said 80k and I just laughed he then jumped down to 45k which is still up there. I figure I will go haggle with'm for practice and the fact that I would like to look inside it.

Our Georgie Boy is older, 1989. 

We have replaced many of our appliances that fail from age and such.  They started to need replacement at age 15.  Repair expenses have increased since age 15, but far below the cost of a newer RV.  By age 20 we have replaced most appliances and rubber roof, see link below.  Overall the house 'box' is good.  We do not have slides or levelers & don't miss them. 

Often when a manifold cracks, replacing it with headers removes the reoccurring problem.  Our chassis is a John Deere with a Ford 460.  We have had headers on since age 5 and no cracks.  We pushed our tires to 9 years and they still did not have the age signs our local shops said to look for.  During tire replacement, we looked at the inside of the tires and they were starting to show their age there.  Living up north may have helped extend their usable life.

Yeah, headers are a good solution for the crack problem. Fixes the problem forever, gives better performance and often runs cooler too.    And the bell crank replacement is an easy fix and not terribly expensive either. Wouldn't stop me from buying a coach I liked.

Back to the original question, go look at the Monaco.  If I had to choose between a Georgie Boy and a Monaco, I'd definitely go with the Monaco.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Back to the original question, go look at the Monaco.  If I had to choose between a Georgie Boy and a Monaco, I'd definitely go with the Monaco.

Marsha~

Welp the Monaco is an awesome coach from the outside...  I can't get ahold of any body to show me the inside now.  Anyway I test drove the Georgie Boy today and it had a really bad vibration at 50-60 mph range and would smooth out some after that but it really wondered around on the road and required alot of constant steering correction. Now take into account this was my first time driving an RV. It wasn't windy today either...  The motor was strong and pulled well.  Lots of creeks and rattles in the thing though :/.. This RV requires new Tires as these are 98 and 01 manufacture date.

Now to some new info. Got a call back tonight on a class C I was interested in and he had lowered his price to a price I had mentioned when talking to him late last week..  Here are the specs.

1996 Fleetwood Tioga Montara 29-30' Class C RV.  Ford 460 and C6 trans. New tires all the way around last summer. Super clean RV and very well taken care off.  He reseals the roof every season and washes it after every trip.  Carpet was even still in good shape.  Onan 4000 Gen. Ducted Heat and Air.  40k miles on it.  Paint in excellent shape and so on. Just one of those people that really takes care of his stuff kind of guys..  So I told him yup I'm still interested and I'd like to test drive it.  So Saturday I go to drive it and do some more in depth inspection..  If it drives out well then I will probably bring it home next week.  It's not a steal below NADA wholesale but it is close to Nada Low Retail which is acceptable to me and is within my budget even after taxes. 

What's the asking price on the Fleetwood?  Just curious.  Sounds relatively similar to the 99 30ft. that I just bought engine-wise, etc.  If you don't want to share that no problem, just curious.  On mine maintenance records are good, 3 TVs, two DVD players, 2 ACs, Onan 5500, no slides (don't care since we are usually outside), good condition on the awning, blah, blah.

If you get the VIN # from the owner you can ask your bank what they think assuming you'll finance.

Just a thought, if you're thinking of cash or not financing, it doesn't hurt to call the bank with the VIN to see what they value it at and what they WOULD finance, gives you some idea of if you're in the appropriate range on purchase price.  Assuming that the bank will share that info with you if they don't get the idea that you're considering not financing with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom