1999 UA 38 - Sound System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellis_Hou

We have had our 1999 Ultimate Advantage 38 for a couple of months now.  Solved some small problems with help from this forum and also decided that some other problem were not to serious.  We stayed at a park close to home last weekend and now I think we are ready for a longer trip.  The front tv had been replaced by a previous owner and we were able to pick up local channels OK and that is all we need for now.  There is a dome ant. but I am not going to think about it for a while.  We did notice that the tv did not connect to the built in sound system.  That sound system does appear to be on because it make a sound each time I turn the key on.  I thought I probably had just not found the right switch yet. However, I was recently reading a post were there was a comment that replacement tvs were in many cases not compatiable with the Winnebago built in sound system.  Can someone explain this to me or refer me to a place to read about it?  Thanks in advance.

Hmm - not sure about the sound system on the UAs.  Maybe Paul (AFchap) will chime in here.  The issue with my era of Horizon/Vectra (and other models) is the QSurround amplifier takes a low level and variable audio output from the TV to drive the speakers.  We have discussed this at some length in this board.  I modified my new Hitachi TV to add this variable audio output, but after that mod, I'm not using it since I bought a 'real' 5.1 surround sound home theater.

If you can find the earphone jack on the TV and the Qsurround cord (should be in the TV area), you can buy an adapter (earphone plug to RCA phone plug) to feed your sound system.

I put in a toshiba flat panel  and have the sound on back (MONO) going out. Actually I used a splitter stereo into mono...
On my 99 chieftain I have to make sure the  switch up front on the DASH is set to (im not sure which one right now as  my 'bego is in the shop..skylight upgrade) either battery or main... One works for the music from the dash radio player and the other works the tv...Also in the overhead compartment with the 12v wingard switch there is a switch that also (in conjuntcion with that front dash) that switches over the stero inputs...
WHen I get back 'bego I will let you know and take some pix....
ALL BETS ARE OFF THOUGH if someone else answers your questions :)

John, what would be the best word or words to use in a search for the old posts?  I tried your QSurround and nothing came up.

Ellis ...before you go too far I think you need to verify that the surround sound is in fact not connected to the TV.  No telling what they did with an aftermarket installation, but if they got it to work as designed, the surround function is NOT automatic. We haven't replaced the TV as yet, so haven't had to figure that out.

On my 2003 UA, the TV sound comes out the front speakers in normal operation. If we want to run the TV through the surround sound system, we have to flip a switch. In all Ultimates I am aware of, that switch is on the outside wall, passenger side, toward the bottom of the cabinet over the dash. It is labeled "Speaker Source Select Switch", but you probably won't see it without a flashlight. That switch provides a choice between dash radio on surround sound OR TV on surround sound. The catch is that when the TV is selected for surround sound the TV uses both it's built in speakers and the surround sound speakers and the dash radio has no sound at all. When the radio is selected, it works through the surround sound and the TV uses it's built in speakers. You might want to find that switch.

We rarely use our TV on surround sound. When we do, we normally forget to flip the switch back to radio when we hit the road, and then while driving I discover the radio doesn't work ...and reaching the switch is a real stretch for my height-challenged DW, and can only be done after she puts out the stair cover.

Our rule is ...if the radio doesn't seem to work, FIRST check the surround sound switch. If the TV surround sound doesn't work, FIRST check the surround sound switch. Once you know it is in the right position, then you can go on to more complicated solutions.

I appreciate the responses.  You have given me some things to look for and think about on my next trip.  The tv works as it is now and we also might not like the surround sound anyway.  I have still got to figure out how to get behind the radio to check the fuse (previous post).  I don't mind the small problems that even if I can't solve them it doesn't interfere with using the MH.

The surround sound does add a good bit a volume to the TV, and does improve sound and hearing, especially when sitting at the table due to the two speakers and the big woofer on that end. One reason we don't use it much is the DW is often watching TV into the wee hours, and the surround sound puts a good bit more sound back into the bedroom area than the normal TV speakers do.

I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon with the optional sound system.  4 hangy down speakers above the sofa and dining table and a couple of 6x9 "subwoofers" I suppose, one under the fridge and one next to the driver.  This system worked well with the original TV and automotive stereo but does not work very well with the new LCD TV due to inadequate volume.  I believe this system to be "passive" and it requires the amplifier of the TV or stereo to power it.  A switch overhead above the passenger seat switches the system from radio to TV.  When I plugged the input jack for this system into the "earphone" jack of the TV (only option) it is barely audible at full TV volume.  I did some investigating on the old tv and believe the earphone jack was wired in parallel with the TV speaker such that plugging into it gave you use of the TV amplifier.  The solution seems to be to buy a small amplifier to put between the TV earphone jack and the RV sound system.  No separate volume control exists for the sound system, it is strictly controlled by the radio or TV volume.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom