1st part of remodeling motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, made progress today, but down in my back tonight.  Those flooring boxes are heavy and its murder working in those small spaces.

But its coming along.  The strip across the front will be the joint where the carpet will meet the laminate, I moved it back 2 inches as there is a metal strip there and then it curves.  I'm hoping the carpet will come up that far, if not we will order it and just staple it around the board that slopes down, its separate.

I got brave and Sue Anne and I took it to Home Depot and Walmart today, did great.  Now I'm glad I started out with a smaller one.  She is so excited, she wants to go somewhere, I told her soon, maybe the next month.

Attachments

• Flooring nearing completion 001.JPG
    Flooring nearing completion 001.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Flooring nearing completion 002.JPG
    Flooring nearing completion 002.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Flooring nearing completion 003.JPG
    Flooring nearing completion 003.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 79
I also have to buy new registers, those are in really bad shape.  Thought about painting them but they are wrecked so no.

I'm almost to the point of having to repair the floor, will stop before that and work on the roof, need to seal and redo tape up there.

Like to never found a site for registers that size 3 X 10, hubby found it and we ordered 4 in an ivory color.  I think that will look good.  They were only $9 each also.

Hubby unrolled the awning, it needs cleaned but looks like its good too.  Had him leave it out so I clean it good tomorrow, also it was wet. Another item not needing fixed!

He said he is concerned about the transmission, seems like that is a weak point with all of the gas ones and this one certainly is old.

I saw in about 2003 or 5, not sure which it had a torqueconverter R & R on it. The second owner was a lady and she was meticulous with records and servicing.  I have all her records.  She owned it for about 8 years. The last owner only had it for about 3 but put about 40k miles on it in that time.

Hubby has been out fiddling with the motorhome.  Has my scaffold up for me to work on the front of the roof.

He said the transmission appears fine and is happy with the engine and the way it runs so far.  He wants to clean the battery terminals good.

Our bumper was shipped last Thursday so should be here today or tomorrow, he is getting ready to start removing the old one.

So work continues.

Ok, now the real work begins.  I'm working on the roof on the front end and hubby is working on the back.

He removed the bumper and found the parts I thought were missing were there, they were just pushed back under another panel.  He said he can flatten and bondo the flat panel and fix it on the left side and with a heat gun likely reshape the plastic corner.  Looks like some painting will be in order.

Should we replace the "sweep" in the back?

He is getting his portapower out to see if he can straighten that corner, bet he can.  It needs to come out about 3 inches.

I inquired with the bumper people about getting a new door gasket, we decided it needed one.

Ok, back to work

Attachments

• 3rd progress 001.JPG
    3rd progress 001.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 3rd progress 002.JPG
    3rd progress 002.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 3rd progress 003.JPG
    3rd progress 003.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 3rd progress 004.JPG
    3rd progress 004.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 87
  • More Progress 001.JPG
    More Progress 001.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 98
  • More Progress 002.JPG
    More Progress 002.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Work in progress 002.JPG
    Work in progress 002.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Work in progress 003.JPG
    Work in progress 003.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Work in progress 004.JPG
    Work in progress 004.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 117
Picture didn't attach

Attachments

• Almost straight 001.JPG
    Almost straight 001.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 105
Ok, front roof seam sealed.  Tomorrow on top to finish cleaning around vent and tape or caulk or something around it, havent decided yet.  Going to tape down in the front and put 2 rows of tape over the piece from the front vent to the AC unit, that piece looks well bonded but we want to play it safe.  I'm going to wash around the front vent and clean the seal and everything before putting the cover vent back over it.

Look what we found growing in dirt in the front between the 2 covers.  Lichen or moss.  That can't be good.  Taking all that off and cleaning it got rid of a lot of that musty odor.  We are going to do that on all of the vent covers.

Also ordering a new back ladder, hubby said they bent it too and he wants a new one.

Attachments

• Roof 001.JPG
    Roof 001.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Roof 002.JPG
    Roof 002.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Roof 003.JPG
    Roof 003.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Roof 004.JPG
    Roof 004.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 91
Hubby had a roller he used to put formica on with contact cement and rolled the tape down really good.

Ok, tomorrow is another day!  Out for dinner!

Ok, hubby has his bumper straightened out.  Bumper to be delivered tomorrow.  But he had to cut the bottom piece to straighten it so he is going to weld a plate to create the back bottom again, has to add a couple inches back underneath.  He is rigging me some kind of jack deal he has an idea for to make it easy to level.  Going to have some crank deal on each outside hitch and just adjusts those till its level and they will be removeable.  He said then I don't have to get underneath it, not sure what he has in mind. Knowing him it will work well.  He thinks at one time there was storage behind that one panel, not sure but will be again.  We are going to try salvage yards to see if we can find a replacement door. He got the plastic corner reshaped and says he can straighten the small piece by it.

I got the roof sealed in front.  We think the leak may have been where one of the screws was for the cover over the vent cover, it was rusty.  I plugged the holes with proflex then covered the whole area around it with eternabond just in case we missed something.  The roof looks so good elsewhere, can't imagine it being anywhere else.

I washed and cleaned the vent, screen, etc and oiled the gears and hinge.  Tom has to buy screws to put the cover vent back on with.  I'm taking the back one off to clean good and cleaning the other, resealing around the vent covers. 

Attachments

• Ok, now within tolerance 001.JPG
    Ok, now within tolerance 001.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Ok, now within tolerance 002.JPG
    Ok, now within tolerance 002.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Ok, now within tolerance 003.JPG
    Ok, now within tolerance 003.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Ok, now within tolerance 004.JPG
    Ok, now within tolerance 004.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 78
I see a wrinkle I need to roll down better, its ready for the vent to be placed.

Well, drat, hubby doesn't like the way the ladder is attached so he decided to go inside and remove the back beds and beef up the bracing under the back.  I said why?  He said because I don't like it like that. I should have known, oh well, when he is done it will be in very good condition.

He mumbled something this morning about I will never use the motorhome.  I said well honey if you think its to old for me why don't I just go buy a new one or a newer one, that would work fine for me.  Is that what you want me to do?? ;D  I doubt I hear anymore about that.  He is so easy, just say spend money, quiets him right down ;D

Gotta love that man!

We think he found the underbed leak.  We were feeling around fittings and one was wet on the water pump.  He wants to reseal all that also. 

Why do I see this job expanding from sealing roof openings, to installing flooring and new front carpet.  I know better then to let him get going!! :D

He took the watertank out and everything back there and pulled the carpet up that was under it.  It's wet against the wall.  I need to take pictures but we quit for the day.  I think he is going to cut that piece of wood out and replace it too.  He thinks cleaning that out will alleviate the rest of the odor.  The flooring is staying in place, he said he won't mess it up.

I'm not finding places on the roof that are bad.  I'm going to clean around all the vents and use KoolSeal around them  just as a preventive measure.  I am going to remove the back tape that runs across a seam like in the front and do it with eternabond to.  We think the leaks are coming in the front from the two screws that were rusted and where the awning fastens, both corrected.  Same in the back from the awning, connection on water pump and the window that doesn't close properly.  He said a little arm in there is bent and is going to fix it.  I ran water over the roof for a long time and felt nothing but that doesn't say its fixed, won't know till we get a good rain.

How the bumper area was straightened out.

He said its a metal box in there and he put a 3/8's plate in the front and the back to distribute the load and used a hydraulic jack to push it out.  But first he had to cut the bottom corner of the box out before he could do it.  He said he had to cut out the wrinkle in in the bottom.  He has a piece of metal ordered to wield back in and fix it.

Ok, hubby took out the nasty flooring and going to remove the one piece of insulation where the water wicked up.  I can't see removing the section of flooring but he is going too.  Didn't realize the back was wood, he wants to beef it up more and make it more stable, also have somewhere to fasten the ladder too more securely.

I can tell you taking that out filthy carpet out is a big plus, DD and I both suffer from allergies.  She has been desensitized but still gets monthly shots and takes pills daily so that would not have been good for either of us to sleep around.  We would have likely sneezed constantly.  We are going to get carpet from Home Depot and a similar padding and put back under the beds, it will make good insulation. 

Also should see all the sand and dirt in the water holding tank, he is going to blow and clean it out thoroughly, we already put clorox in it.  Honestly, I was not going to do all this, but I know it will be much better it being done.

Attachments

• Pictures of removal 001.JPG
    Pictures of removal 001.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Pictures of removal 002.JPG
    Pictures of removal 002.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Pictures of removal 003.JPG
    Pictures of removal 003.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Pictures of removal 004.JPG
    Pictures of removal 004.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Pictures of removal 005.JPG
    Pictures of removal 005.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 119
Hi Sue Anne, Carolyn and hubby.

I am in awe !  Your recent entries have been awesome. So much work in a short period of time.

Where does the energy come from... What vitamins are you taking?  ;D

Maybe Hubby wanted to come home to rest..What is the rest of the story?

All this in jest. Hope everything works out

carson in Florida.

Well Tom, or hubby doesn't work physically at work, so he enjoys doing stuff like this when home.  We both enjoy remodeling and taking old and making it new again.  We have remodeled many a house in our lives and likely will do a few more. Our house is always on the next list and somehow its still not all done. :-[

Ok, we got the replacement bumper, its from a salvage yard so he will have to repaint it.  But he set it up to see how it fits and he said he just needs to straighten the left side where it attaches just a bit.

He put a brace in the back wall, he said it is poorly braced for the ladder to attach to, also putting a piece toward the bottom to fasten to.  There was never anything there! He is beefing up the back so you cant' push it in.  Like he said for another $1000 they could make these motorhomes or travel trailers so much more durable. 

I wasn't really wanting to take this all out, but its the best thing we did.  I would say we are now rid of 90% of the odor in there.  I bet the cab carpet coming out will take the rest of it out.

Attachments

• Work done 002.JPG
    Work done 002.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 75
  • Work done 003.JPG
    Work done 003.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Work done 004.JPG
    Work done 004.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Work done 005.JPG
    Work done 005.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Work done 006.JPG
    Work done 006.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 79
Actually he was going to come home and work on our daughters new bathroom.  He has been working on it when he comes home.  He put in a heated floor, has it tiled, the plumbing and electrical in. The furnace ductwork ran to it and and ceiling in.  He was going to start putting the tub, etc in.  Then he is building me a new walk in closet, (my closet has a heated floor too), and a half bath in the garage.  We added on enough extra room for all this when we had the garage built on.  When we will get that done I don't know

Back
Top Bottom