1st Question - '88 Suncrest Lakeview 32'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hymnsinger

I am currently licensed in NC and will need a non-commercial Class B DL at the least. However, I am not sure. Does anyone here know the approximate weight of this coach? If it's over 26,000 lbs I'll need to upgrade my license. Since this coach is an orphan, I can't find anything online on specs.

The largest truck I have driven was the Penske 26 pulling a car trailer behind. It was a very complex rig, but I got pretty good at it, escaping a cul-de-sac and backing it, alone no less! That was a 5 day trip from Tucson to Boone, NC.

How does driving a motorcoach/trailer combination compare to what I experienced with the Penski?

Thanks!!

Tracey

Hello

Newbie here too but to answer your question

My husband and I are OTR truck drivers and know if your under 26,000 lbs you do not need a CDL or any special class

If you can not find any spec's on your rig Class A  then you need to take to your local truck stop that has a CAT Scale or another local scale with full tanks and fully loaded with your gear so you know how much it weighs.

That is the best as safest way in our  OP to do this.

You can also check with the state your DL are in and double check to make sure they don't have any special requirements for a Class A Motorhome

We both hold a Class A CDL for anything over 26.0000, but our tiny Class C is nowhere near that heavy  LOL

Hope this helps you

Safe and Happy Travels to you and your son
Lesa and Jeff

It's extremely unlikely any motorhome exceeds the 26,000 lb. CDL threshold.  Especially if it's gas powered.  There may be one or two exceptions when you get into the extremely large diesel pushers, but other than that all you need is a regular drivers license.

Any diesel pusher in the 40' and up size will definitely exceed 26,000 lbs. GVW and require a class B license in those states that specify it.  Even our 38' Endeavor is 24,850 GVW, just shy of requiring a class B here in Texas.  But it's not a CDL, it's a non-commercial class B license.

The license requirement is based on the vehicle GVWR and not the actual scaled weight.  There should be a placard somewhere in the vehicle showing the GVWR as well as the GAWR and GCWR.

Lou Schneider said:
It's extremely unlikely any motorhome exceeds the 26,000 lb. CDL threshold.  Especially if it's gas powered.  There may be one or two exceptions when you get into the extremely large diesel pushers, but other than that all you need is a regular drivers license.

My Patriot has a max weight of 50,000, Lou. A number of smaller diesels are still 30K plus. But for gassers you're right.

Back
Top Bottom