1st time using RV...water questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with Jim on this.  You'll very quickly get to know how long it takes to fill your holding tanks with your typical usage.  All of the reported cleaning methods are most likely coincidental and not really effective, just a waste of time and money.  Ignore the misreading gauges and enjoy your RV :)

PatrioticStabilist said:
I'm wondering if dish washer liquid or the new powder capsule would really keep the tanks cleaned.  that stuff appears to be awesome.
I use the Geo method and one of the components is Dawn dishwashing liquid. The stuff is awesome. I have a very large bottle of generic Dawn in the cabinet above my head. I have no clue if it really works, but I am sure that it probably helps. But the reason I use it is because it gives the toilet a really nice sweet smell. I put in a few ounces when I dump and then about half way through the week I when the sweet smell begins to fade I put another few ounces in.

Hello all, everyone seems to have quite a bit of information on water so I am also posting my question.  I am new to the forum so if I am posting in the wrong spot let me know.

I have a 1988 Winnebago Cheiftian and I am new to this although I have learned quite a bit on my own recently... However, one item still has me completely puzzled.

There is a freshwater fill outside the side door, which we have filled and used without any trouble.  But we have only camped a couple of times.  The other day I was filling the freshwater to go on a trip and I went to run water into the sink and it seemed our drain in kitchen sink was plugged... but after plunging and that not working I found another pull on the outside... one we were not aware of.  So I have a black and gray pull that are right under the door panel (easy to see) then further back in is another gray pull.  I am confused what this pull is for?  Does anyone know? I did get it emptied (and it was full) but I would like to understand what water this is from.

My other question is....above the stove there is a panel of buttons.  It has water level... then water 1 ... water 2 ... water 3... I can not seem to find anything in the manual to explain what the different water levels go to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Some RVs have a separate tank for the galley gray water - that may be what your second "pull" is for.

Your monitor should be able to display the fresh water tank, black tank and gray tank(s) status. Surprised it doesn't use those words instead of 1, 2, 3, but that's probably what they are.

It sounds like you have 2 gray water holding tanks, probably one for the galley and one for the shower and bathroom sink.  That would also explain the 3 holding tank level indicators but there should also be one for the fresh water tank.

I guess by Galley water you mean from the kitchen sink? 

There are many toggle switches above the stove and the one reads on top (water level) on bottom (ht 1)  the other switch on top (ht 2) on bottom (ht 3) this would explain the 3 holding tanks (ht).

The odd part about all of this is after I had found the 3rd pull I made sure everything was empty.  I had used the sink very little but now the one holding tank is almost full again (can't remember which number)...  I have not used the shower or bathroom at all so it must be that is the "galley" tank you are refering to.  So now it makes me wonder how many qallons that holding tank is...

I am going to empty out again and keep an eye on the levels of water to try to figure out which tank goes to 1 ... 2 .. and 3.

Anyway thanks much!  I have questions all the time so I will definately be back!

Yes, galley is the kitchen.  It may not be a very large tank so will fill up quickly if you use a lot of water in the kitchen sink.

Back
Top Bottom