1st trip out... this might be bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseyh46

So the Mrs and I just returned from our 1st trip out in our "new to us" class C motorhome... We did 300 miles to San Antonio TX for a Wounded Warrior BBQ cook off (we like to cook) and hauled our BBQ pit all the way. We boondocked for 2 nights.

lessons learned:
1. everything seems like a hill
2. it doesn't matter that everything seems like a hill, just relax and go with it
3. you're not going anywhere fast so change the way you're thinking and enjoy the ride, it took us 7 hours to make the 300 mile trip with fuel stops and "leg stretching" stops
4. Having a sandwich while sitting on the couch at a flying J is pretty great
5. CONSERVE CONSERVE CONSERVE. we managed to both take 2 showers and do all we needed to do with 30 gallons of fresh water, no problems with batteries. Just run the generator a few hours during the day to re-charge (even they didn't seem to really require it)
6. the wind can take some getting used to and check the mirrors often to see if semi's or other larger than us vehicles are overtaking and get ready for the push.

the bad:
1 This might be bad BECAUSE we could REALLY get used to this.. if it wasn't for that pesky work thing...
2 Hopefully the new awning gets here fast because there's not much left LOL

Over all, the trip was a resounding success for this very new to this couple. I'm sure it won't always be without issues here and there but for a first trip we couldn't have asked for more!

Appreciate all the tips and advise from this board!
Casey

Do some research on here about what you can do about the wind push. It can be moderated a lot.

Other than that, sounds like you got the bug like the rest of us. Enjoy!!.

We average about 40 mph with the actual driving, stopping for lunch and pee breaks (us and the dog) and Kodak moments, reading roadside history signs, finding interesting place to visit. Back in our working days, we used to make fun of my full-timing parents who were lucky to go 250 miles in a day. Now we understand.

Enjoy the drive
Wendy

everything seems like a hill
  :D
that's great, felt like that a lot when I had our gasser.
Relax and enjoy, you're already hooked and don't quite realize it yet. Welcome to the forum and the lifestyle!

The big block in our C makes the uphill thing rather insignificant. Mileage could certainly be better, but we towed a Dodge Neon on a dolly and if it weren't for the rear camera, I wouldn't know it was there.

That side push from other vehicles can be a son-of-a-gun sometimes. As mentioned, it can be dealt with and can be minimized greatly.

We're happy to hear the shake-down run went well. Remember to keep a log book! Just jot down the who,what, when, and where from each day. Makes a great keep sake.

Joe and Carol

Well, as for the 1st Bad thing.. When, eventually, you are all finished with that pesky issue at the end of the statement..

People ask me all the time about how much it costs to feed my class A (Absolutly nothing)

Back in the Sticks and Bricks days,  Gas, electric and water/sewer used to run over 250/month.  Taxes on the house over 3,000/year (Well over)

Today.. I have two memberships I use in the summer, These include Water, Sewer, Electric and Wi-FI, IN the winter I can still use the more expensive of them but for my week out of the system (2 in one out) I have to pay 12.00 a night  So it's roughly 120/month

So Summers that's 90/month, Winters 210. Average 100/month.

That leaves me over 150 for gas of which I use about less than 100 in the summer and about 50 in the winter per month. Figure average about 70.. So as you see, It costs me nothign.

Oh I mentioned taxes. 382 on the motor home,, not thousand, not hundres but 382.00

Sounds like you have learned quite a bit in a short time.  Your #3 may help you the most.  Some of us take a long time to adjust but now think that 300 miles in seven hours is a frantic pace. 

Like already posted, back in my work days I had to make 400-450 miles a day. Now it's a lot different. Early this summer we went from our house to ABQ and it took me three days, 620 miles and I was worn out.  Nice part about it, it makes no difference now. I have no place to be and all the time to get there.

You will find after RVing a bit that you'll wonder how you ever stayed in motels and ate restaurant food while traveling.

I am now about five months away from retirement and getting more courage to take the plunge. I particularly like reading about fellow newcomers to this lifestyle. Thanks for your post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom