2 issues of concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a collection of strap wrenches, cap wrenches of specific sizes, big channel lock pliers, and some very long screwdrivers.

One trick I've used several times is to clean the filter with denatured alcohol or brake kleen and then put a layer of el-cheapo sandpaper between the strap and the filter.

I think the strap wrenches you can put on the end of a socket extension work best on stuck filters if you put them as far towards the sealing end of the filter as possible. The can is much stronger there.

Good luck with it.

After decades of dealing with stuck oil filters (nearly always installed by oil change places) the two tools I've found to be the final answer are the jaw pliers and strap wrenches. The downside to the strap wrench is the filter needs to be fairly clean to grip. The pliers always grips but can tear a hole which can make a mess, but far easier than trying to pound a screwdriver through for the same result. I don't have a chain tool, that might be the best of all worlds for filters. The end-cap sockets made for specific size filters I find to be mostly worthless, requiring a lot of access space off the end of the filter for a socket wrench and even mating to the flats of the filter they seem to strip/slip pretty easily.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You can buy a chain wrench in the plumbing section. Most will fit up to 4 inches.

Don't allow the fallen insulation to lay on the engine, it is heat resistant, not fireproof. If there is no insulation the interior of your MH will get hot and it will be noisy.

You need an insulation that is both heat resistant and sound-deadening. There are many companies that make and sell products for this; this is only one - Engine Compartment Insulation for Heat and Sound Reduction
An internet search will locate many more such companies.

As to installing a new oil filter, most brands recommend, screw it on until the gasket makes contact, then ½ turn tighter by hand, but I do as DonTom said and turn as tight as one hand will turn it. I'm wary that engine vibration might loosen the filter otherwise.
Thank you Ray-IN! I called Tiffin today and they said they could send a roll of the insulation at a cost of $239. I looked on Amazon and they had a roll for $69. Thank you so much!

UPDATE: This wrench was the winner! Worked wonderfully.

WORKPRO Universal Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench From 3" to 5.5", Heavy Duty Oil Filter Removal Tool with 3 Jaws for Cars, Trucks, Tractor Got it on Amazon. $17.99

I am trying to get the coach ready to hit the road and discovered a couple things. The oil needs to be changed and I thought I would try to tackle it. Well, couldn't get the filter off. It feels like somebody cemented it on! Two healthy adult male nephews tried and were not successful to remove it, either. Now what? I wasn't about to let the nephews go banging at it.

The other problem is that all the insulation in the engine compartment has fallen down and I cannot reach back there to try to re-hang it. Who would be the best to contact to get it replaced? Cummins or Freightliner?

Back
Top Bottom