2000 Beaver Patriot, Monticello, 40'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

We are closing rapidly in on this rig and hope to be in it around Thanksgiving when we can transition.  It has 23000 miles on it, needs new tires and oil and filter changes.    I had this attached to another thread but would seem to be more easy to access info from folks who have purchased used.  The Beaver was serviced in 2003 at the 20000mi check which is comprehensive according to records.  It was driven another 3000mi where it ended up at the local 5r dealer on consignment.  It has sat for 2 years with the price being reduced on it despite being a beautiful rig and with it time has made an issue for the new buyer, me.  Any suggestions on getting this rig off on the right foot?  Sure appreciate it Phil 

Check everything before you leave the dealer's lot.  Run all the appliances, turn on all the lights, run the generator, A/C units on both cool and heat pump if so equipped, check the water heater and refrigerator in all modes, gas and electric.  I would be concerned about any RV that sat for that long without being used.  What warranty is the dealer giving you in writing?

Then once you're satisfied all is working, get new tires, change all fluids, filters and check the belts, and get a chassis lube.

I think it would also be a good idea to have the coolant hoses replaced at the same time as the coolant.  Also have a professional check the rubber couplngs on the air intake lines when you have the air filter replaced.

Ned said:
Check everything before you leave the dealer's lot.  Run all the appliances, turn on all the lights, run the generator, A/C units on both cool and heat pump if so equipped, check the water heater and refrigerator in all modes, gas and electric.

I agree except I'd do before writing the check and if the dealer balks ("We've already done all that") walk no matter how attractive the coach and the deal are.

Dexter

A holdback is always a good idea, but put it in writing in the sales contract.  No final payment until everything is working satisfactorily.

Check the Allison web site for the recommended tranny fluid change interval - I suspect you are due on age if nothing else. Unless of course that Transynd synthetis fluid was used at the last change (if indeed it ever was changed). Assuming you have the original Dexron III fluid, it probably required a change at 25,000 miles or 1000 hours or 1  year (whichever comes first).

Allison Fluid Change Intervals

I think the dealer I am dealing with is OK, I am pretty well able to ask for whatever I want and is done within reason.  The coolant and the hoses is not a bad idea.  There is some brake fluid involved as there is an air-over-hydraulic system so I guess there are concerns with brake fluid.  Tomorrow will tell!  Some much to learn, so little time!

We are planning to go to the Yuma area the day after Christmas.  Are spaces available down there for a week?  Would this be a good shakedown for the Beaver, it will be just about 600mi?  We hope to spend a week or so.

Thanks, Phil 

I guess you have one of the last of the Magnum chassis with the air over hydraulic brake system. I don't know much about it but it was abandoned when Monaco moved the Beaver over to a Roadmaster chassis instead of Magnum. That doesn't mean it is bad - Monaco simply consolidated chassis operations with their Roadmaster division after they bought Safari/Beaver and the Magnum chassis was dropped.

Also change the hydraulic fluid and filter.  The air dryer cartridge should also be changed at least every two years.

Another thing that needs replacing is all the batteries.  They are now about 8 years old if original and having sat for so long, most likely will not hold a charge long.
Tun the slides out, go out side and inspect the slide awning covers, get a water hose and wet the awning and slide area down good.  Don't blast the area, just get it good and wet like rain would.  Check inside for leaks.  Now do the same with the slides in and again check for leaks.

I guess we are really committed not.  The F450 sold today, on the market less than a week.  I think people like them.  I will be transitioning with the guy that bought the truck.  Sort of cool.  The mechanic gave thed MH a clean bill of health and all fluid and filter changes will be done.  It goes in for new tires and we will be on the road!  Our trip to the Benson/Tombstone area should be fun over Christmas.

Thank all of you for the valuable advice.  I am not a MH person so this is my first and without your help I would have been lost.  The driving thing is going to be the big one.  Avoid big cities and be careful otherwise.  Trailer Life just came out with some GPS units they recommend.  I will get one. 

Thanks Again, Phil

I am sure you will enjoy the Beaver.  Driving is not a real challange and I am sure you will have no problem getting adjusted to it.

Phil, if you have the time, check for threads on "Christmas" and "New Years" as there is usually a lot going on in SW AZ by forum members prior to QZ. Do attend a mini-rally that will probably pop up and plan on the RV Forum '08 Quartzite Rally if you can. There's a big thread on that! ;D

Check the Moab '08 thread to see about hitting that. Reservations for the latter aren't easy to come by and you might have to dry camp for awhile. The trips over the years around SE UT have produced some of the most enjoyable stories and beautiful pictures.

You did get a 4x4 toad, didn't you?

Personally, I start a short interim interim on Thanksgiving eve at St. Mary's, just north of Chelwood Elementary School, between Juan Tabo and Tramway that will last through Christmas Day. I'll be thinking of y'all in the lower Colorado River valley as Christmas happens and my friends in El Centro where I spent several beautiful winters in the late '70's. I fly to Charlotte the next day to see my mom down in Aiken SC and back on NY Eve Day.

A Class A is actually very easy to drive and you are already used to the "lag" in a turn with your fifth wheel.  The Beaver will lag a bit differently, but you will pick that up fairly quickly (after bumping a few curbs!).  Just watch the mirrors really closely for awhile.  8)

Bob, Good grief, glad to hear from you!  I am still out at Moriarty till May and we are making preparations for the Great Escape at the end of May.  QZ will be out this year but I suspect we will be no strangers in the future.  You will be close to where we are staying.  St Mary's, what time are the services?  I have a 4X4 Jaguar for now but will be selling it and purchasing a small P/U to put my motorcycle and bicycles in.  We were looking at a Chevy 4X4 Colorado or something of that ilk.

Gary, When I test drove it it was a white knuckle affair.  The windhield and mirrors were dirty and the sun was in my eyes.  The tires were low on air pressure and I guess to sum it up it was an event.  Despite all of that the Beaver did OK and I am sure it will do much better with new tires and recent service.  It still is a big vehicle.  Just need to respect it and be safe.  It does seem to turn more sharply than the 5r.  Thanks for the advice.

Ron, I think you mentioned batteries in a earlier post.  Got new ones...Thanks

Phil

Small world! I stopped for coffee in Moriarty during my snowbird migration from Iowa to Phoenix via Belen to visit maxwells.

Phil, Mass is at 8 & 10.30 starting the end of Nov except the 16th when we'll have one service, "The hanging of the Greens" for Christmas and a potluck.

Christmas Eve is 5PM, Pagent and Christmas I, 10 PM Christmas Carols followed by the Midnight Mass of Christmas, Sung service.
"smells and bells."  Christmas Day, 10 AM  Then I've finished my task.

The next day I fly out at 7 AM for Charlotte.

Some year. We began in Edgewood at Holy Cross, a middle of the rood worshiping kind of parish, spent May-Sept taking care of Hope which is still meeting in a middle school and they're very musical and charismatic and now St. Mary which is as High Church as it gets here in NM. In one year I've experienced it all once again. . .and I love it all! That's maybe why I can serve so many people and even be the Chaplain here.

And Bev gets healthier every day!

If you ever need a 50  amp lug after you pull the plug up there, Russ parked his on our spot in Belen. ;)

This must be the year for men of the cloth.  We had Paul, aka @ Escapees as AFCHAP, park across from us just before balloon fiesta.  Really nice guy and meticulas with his rig.  Hopefully we will get over to St Mary's before you leave.  I have my Army Reserve Battle Assembly this weekend so it it hard to get away.  We will be closing on the MH Tuesday and making the transition Wednesday and possibly into Thanksgiving.  It has been a whirlwind of a week with work and getting this MH ready as well as getting ready to move.  It will come together, goals are good.
Phil   

Well we are about to move into the Beaver.  Any suggestions on transitioning?  We may need to align the front due to the wander factor.  It has been checked out mechanically and is fine.  I suspect underinflation on the tires, been sitting for nearly two years.  I am hoping the new tires and correct pressures will make the difference.  Any other things I might want to look at due to this?

Phil

This tip has nothing to do with mechanical ior maintenance issues ....  ;)

Lucy Akers and Betty Brewer gave us an invaluable tip to cut down back and forth trips when transitioning from our little Prowler to our new (then) motorhome. 

Pack everything you can in plastic bags rather than boxes.  You can line them up on both arms and they're much easier to carry than boxes.  Since like items were in each bag, it seemed to make organizing storange in the new motorhome go more quickly also.  Stuff the plastic bag full of items into the space where you think you want it to go.  If you change your mind as you go along, the bag full of stuff is easy to move to a new location.

Margi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom