2004 Suncruiser 35u - house batteries not charging from engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's an article on my website when I replaced our battery mode solenoid with a 'smart' marine version. I have no idea where yours is located, you can call or email Winnebago Owner Relations and ask the guys. You should also install a Trik-L-Start so your chassis batteries will charge while on generator or shore power. There's a Service Tips article a few years old about installing one - look in the Winnebago and chassis resources post near the top of this board. There's a ton of valuable information in that thread and in the Service Tips bulletins.

For more background on the solenoid which we've discussed many times, search the Winnebago board for Trombetta or solenoid.

Finally had mobile RV tech, Montey Davis, from Overgaard, AZ in the summer and Quartzite, AZ in the winter, come over and spend an hour + discovering that we needed a new mini-fuse under the dashboard to fix the batteries not charging from the engine. It was marked something about step light or something.

He also found and solved the problem with the generator not charging the batteries. It was a toasted converter that was cleverly hidden under the bottom drawer under the stove. He replaced the 45 amp with a 60 amp.

We should be in good shape now until the next thing...

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Thought it might be helpful to let everyone know and have access to research the solutionS.

Sandra

;D Yeah, solutionS found!

Finally had mobile RV tech, Montey Davis, from Overgaard, AZ in the summer and Quartzite, AZ in the winter, come over and spend an hour + discovering that we needed a new mini-fuse under the dashboard to fix the batteries not charging from the engine. It was marked something about step light or something.

He also found and solved the problem with the generator not charging the batteries. It was a toasted converter that was cleverly hidden under the bottom drawer under the stove.  :eek: ??? He replaced the 45 amp with a 60 amp.

We should be in good shape now until the next thing...

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Thought it might be helpful to let everyone know and have access to research the solutionS.

Sandra

willh2o said:
Finally had mobile RV tech, Montey Davis, from Overgaard, AZ in the summer and Quartzite, AZ in the winter, come over and spend an hour + discovering that we needed a new mini-fuse under the dashboard to fix the batteries not charging from the engine. It was marked something about step light or something.....
That fuse most likely controlled the battery mode solenoid operation when the ignition switch was on (or engine running.)  I hope he installed a good three-stage charger. We have a couple of links in the Winnebago and chassis resources thread about replacing the charger.

Glad you got it fixed, thanks for the update.

Edit: I merged two threads by willh2o about batteries not charging that are essentially the same

Back
Top Bottom