2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD - new flooring project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow John .... what a huge project, man-hours wise.  At least if we do ours, we won't have the tile chipping/thinset cement phase to deal with.  We have carpet and linoleum.  Probably have a bunch of other headaches to deal with tho.

Sure hope we get a firsthand look-see if the timing works out to meet up in Tucson. 

OBTW....I think you're married to this coach for life now  ;D ;D ;D

John Canfield said:
Thanks John!  Unfortunately the entry area needs to be redone, Ernie didn't realize the two middle steps are hinged to provide access to the HWH pump/reservoir/solenoid unit.  We'll head there after we leave Moab in early May.
When you are human and old, sometimes we have an oops~

Duner said:
Wow John .... what a huge project, man-hours wise.  At least if we do ours, we won't have the tile chipping/thinset cement phase to deal with.  We have carpet and linoleum.  Probably have a bunch of other headaches to deal with tho.

Sure hope we get a firsthand look-see if the timing works out to meet up in Tucson. 

OBTW....I think you're married to this coach for life now  ;D ;D ;D
Oh my, chipping the tile was a bunch of work and in some areas the thinset cement was like epoxy.  Getting your old flooring up would be easy-peasy.  Hope we can hook up with you in Tucson!

Ernie Ekberg said:
When you are human and old, sometimes we have an oops~
Not an issue Ernie, we are no stranger to the oops category.

so I would probably better off buying engineered or real would flooring an not messing with this snap lock stuff. :-\ thanks for the info. ;)

Update:

We stopped by Weatherford (Ernie's place) to have the entryway tweaked last week so the two middle steps can be raised and the fix was really easy.  When the treads were pulled off the step, the step would raise up - it cleared the wood on the sides  :D.  The other step hit the nose trim and Ernie had to notch the metal step corners a little bit so the step be raised almost to its original open position.  Then the new treads were simply re-inserted on the step - the wood trim captured the tread ends and a little Velcro held the front lip of the tread down.  A simple yet elegant fix.

This Monday the furniture store delivered the two new La-Z-Boy recliners we ordered mid February.  From time of order placed to delivery to the store took ten weeks  :p.  Of course we were in Utah when the recliners came in.  Jane picked out a great fabric to compliment the interior - the recliners look great!

Here's a couple of pictures of the new recliners.  Note the slides are retracted for the pictures, the salon looks huge with the slides extended (and since we didn't re-install the original table.)  We're using "TV" tray tables for dining and those have worked out really, really well.  On my coach to-do list is to make a pull-out table to replace the original one - I'll use this for the keyboard/mouse and maybe for dining if I can make it large enough.

Attachments

• HorizonRecliners1.jpg
    HorizonRecliners1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 138
  • HorizonRecliners2.jpg
    HorizonRecliners2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 131
Kev - yup.  The designers sacrificed slides-in room for maximum area with slides out with the newer models.  Also I think they pushed the interior space down a bit which took up some basement space compared to older models.

Nice looking chairs John.  I love the wood accent on the arms.

Will you be able to secure the chairs while traveling?  I assume they have to be moved away from the wall to recline.  Are they rocker-recliners? ...with (no) swivel? 

Our original Euro-recliner is showing signs of wearing out and will need replacing in a year or so.  You and Jane have picked a winner.   

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Duner said:
..Will you be able to secure the chairs while traveling?  I assume they have to be moved away from the wall to recline.  Are they rocker-recliners? ...with (no) swivel?  ..
Bill - yes, they will be secured with the leftover seat belts from the old recliner couch.  The chairs are rocker-recliner (no swivel, that's not a good idea!) and do need to be pulled out a bit from the wall to recline.  The chairs immediately felt comfortable when I sat in one when shopping - there's a nice lumbar support cushion area that is kind to my back.

First exposure to the recliner was in Ernie's Bluebird bus, I'm just following the herd  :D.

Sorry to bring this thread back up and if i am asking questions in the wrong place, please let me know.  Now that the disclaimers are out of the way, I would like to ask a couple questions  about this flooring project as I may need to do this in the near future. 

As this is not the "floating floor" like the household laminate flooring common in the last several years, what exactly is it?  Is the flooring adhered to the base with glue? Cement?  Is it self adhering?  Why is it important to know where the slide tracks are? 

I'm sorry if these are rookie type questions but I am less than a rookie.  I am in the process of buying a 2006 Coachman Encore 40ts.  This will be my first motorhome and I would like to update the interior to suit my needs.  I'm sure I will have many more rookie questions. Thanks for all the photos and descriptions here as they are invaluable.

The material is engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive. The first thing to observe is what type of slide do you have. From there we can go forward with your project

Thank you Mr. Ekberg.  As soon as I get the MH I will start a new thread with the slide info and more questions.  Thank you very much.

Hi John, new to the forum but have benefited greatly from your posts, thank you! 
Love the flooring project pics but wondered if you did away with your table?

Ernie Ekberg said:
The material is engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive. The first thing to observe is what type of slide do you have. From there we can go forward with your project

This has been a very helpful post. Thanks.  Couple of questions from another novice. Still in the dreaming stage. MH (2004 Fleetwood Flair) is stored in Cottonwood AZ and have been unsuccessful in locating a pro for assistance.  During your prep you removed the jack seat - anything else? Did you take out the kitchen cabinets? Walls that separate the bathroom? I don't have a slide, so that will make things easier, but what about getting the linoleum out from under the built in dinette seats? Carpet under the bed? Leave it? Rip it out? Engine cover is also carpeted - leave it carpeted or is there another treatment you can recommend? Why glue down vs floating? Seems glue down would buckle and split with temperature changes and vibrations, or am I looking at it wrong?

wow- lot of questions
I remove the captains chairs, the sofa and the booth- never touch walls or cabinets
Cut the carpet around the bed base
recarpet the doghouse
I adhere ALL my engineered wood with urethane adhesive. That is my choice of installation which means I can cut the wood tight against the cabinets, walls, etc.
when the urethane has gone thru its curing stage there is never an issue. heat, vibration never an issue- I have had zero call back using this installation method that is why I stick with it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom