2008 itasca horizon 40t?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

Three years ago we downsized from an Adventurer to an access premier class c. Big mistake. We are ready to upgrade. Just looked at a 2008 Itasca Horizon 40T with 40k miles at Camping Word in Madison WI. Asking price $140k. We like the rig,  but are nervous about buying something that old.

What are the weak spots in this rig,  and what problems could we expect in the next 5 years or so?

Are there specific problem areas we should look out for.

Finally what is a reasonable price. Inside is immaculate outside has several scratches.

Arne

Arne - I think that model year is still on the Evolution chassis which is good assuming the slow fuel fill issue with the fuel tank being built wrong was fixed.  It will have a rear radiator and might not have independent front suspension.

The bedroom slide has a propensity for leaking and the slide seals needing replacing every few years, Winnebago just replaced our bedroom slide seals again.  The slide toppers if original might be near the end of their lifespan.

Basement air might not keep up in very hot climates.

Diesel pusher maintenance will be more expensive and the rear radiator means more labor costs compared to a side radiator.  Be sure and check the tire age.  If the batteries are original, they are ready for replacement.

A six year old rig will start to have things go wrong - we had to replace our Advantium oven and I replaced the potty last summer instead of rebuilding the original one.  The propane water heater (it's a three-way) might need the burner disassembled and cleaned.

40K miles is good - the rig hasn't been a garage queen.  $140k is too much, I keep an eye on Horizon/Vectra asking prices in the FMCA classifieds and they should be around $120-125k.  I would pay up to $135k if the toppers were new, tires were new, batteries are new, etc.

Thanks. It looks like the rig has the original tires and batteries. Not sure about the seals and awnings. I guess I have to ask lots of questions. The rig is built on a Maxum chassis.  Not sure what that means.

Arne

Arne said:
Thanks. It looks like the rig has the original tires and batteries. Not sure about the seals and awnings. I guess I have to ask lots of questions. The rig is built on a Maxum chassis.  Not sure what that means.

Arne

too much money

Arne said:
The Maxium chassis followed the Evolution chassis so the 2007 model year must be the last for the Evolution.  I think the Maxium has lowered frame rails so the designers could raise the ceiling height.  Then for the 2008 model year the IFS and side radiator went away (the side radiator could have disappeared for model year 2007.)

It certainly sounds like the previous owners sold before they needed to put some serious bucks into the rig.  Buchanan mentioned but edited it out about considering other chassis - I think if you can find a nice rig with IFS and a side radiator on a Spartan chassis, that would be highly desirable.  You will have a lower total cost of ownership with a side radiator since the front of the engine is readily assessable for maintenance and the radiator won't need as much cleaning as a rear radiator will.

The Dutch Stars (with a Cummins ISL) would be on my short list as would an Allegro Bus.  You aren't going to find IFS on Monacos (and the other Monaco clones) as far as I know.

And $140k is a Camping World pipe dream, you would want to set aside $8-10k for necessary maintenance and repairs for that unit.

And $140k is a Camping World pipe dream

John I like that statement you made

http://media.goitasca.com/models/globalElements/brochure/previous-models/2008/itasca/08-Horizon-Brochure.pdf

Maxum chassis, IFS, rear radiator.  IFS is a definite plus.  I agree $140k is way overpriced.  Also expect the basement air to need maintenance.  I ended up adding a rooftop air to my 40' Horizon(as did John) to supplement the basement air.

Despite now driving an Allegro Bus, I'm partial to Freightliner because of their excellent service facility in Gaffney, SC.

Thanks. Very helpful. I guess I'll keep looking.

Arne.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom