2008 Tiffin Allegro FRED 32LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TechDude said:
............By the way, nice coach................Cheers,Bob
Thanks for the info. I think I mentioned it before in this post, I get a lot of comments on the paint job; the Tiffin designers hit a "Grand Slam" with that paint layout.

FINAL "TIRE-TOOLS"

I received my 16 inch x 3/4 inch socket extension from Amazon.com today. At ALL RVer's most popular store, Walmart, I found the last tool needed, a crowbar.
If I had that size crowbar when I did the front tire, my job would have been that much easier. At our next winter camp-out in February,  I will photograph the set-up for removing the lug nuts from the rear dual tires.

Attachments

• Tiffin Tire Tools (Small).jpg
    Tiffin Tire Tools (Small).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 48
BNTorsney said:
STORAGE BAYS LEAK DISCOVERED, 2 of 3 repaired

Ever since this coach was new, the twin storage compartments on the passenger side were always damp. I always attributed this to no air circulation in a damp environment, Florida. Luckily for me, while I was under the coach greasing the U-joints, I just happened to notice light shinning through a crack in the tire side of the bays. Further inspection revealed the same opening on the door side of the twin storage compartment.
After corking these two cracks, I took photos of the repairs; I have a dear friend with the same motorhome and I wanted him to see it so he could check his. Before sending the photos, I discovered additional light shinning through a crack in the middle of the two bays. This defect will be corked this "winter" camping week-end.  At that time I will photos of the oil changing equipment, I mentioned in another reply to this thread.
I'm going to have tho check mine as we have the same basic coach but different floor plan and same year, and on a ford chassis.

I don't have a FRED but do have a 32BA 2004 Allegro Open Road (Gaser) and love it. I too agree that Tiffin does it right. The service is great. I've talked to Tiffins service department a number of times and they have been very helpful. Even sent me to someone else to get parts cheaper than I could buy from them, you don't see that happening much! I konw that you'll enjoy your new FRED.

Thank you VERY MUCH Mr. Cummins

Three weeks ago, I received a written notice from Cummins Inc., about a warranty software upgrade for the "Engine Control Module." After the upgrade was preformed, I noticed the engine holding 6th gear at lower RPMs. Today, after filling up and doing the math, I came up with 10.895 MPG.
With only about 8,000 miles on the coach, I know I have about another 20,000 miles before the diesel engine is fully broken-in. With my mileage increasing a little at a time, I "MAY" very well get to the 12/14 MPG the dealer was advertising when we first purchased the motorhome.
After personally working out all the little bugs any new motorhome may come with, this Tiffin's reliability factor has risen to that of our Honda automobile. I enjoy driving the Tiffin more that the Honda, if the mileage keeps increasing like this, I may start taking the Tiffin to the stores!!!

REAR TIRE REMOVAL SET-UP & ICC HEADLIGHT SWITCH

Forgive me, it took me long enough to remember to take the photo of the equipment for the rear wheel removal. The addition equipment required is my new 3/4" X 16" socket extension and a 5K jack stand. I had four of these heavy-duty jack stands from all the maintenance I did on our diesel pick-up trucks.
The jack stand extend high enough for me to remove the bottom half, 3PM/9PM, before having to rotate the tire; all of this is possible because of the electric leveling jacks. After the bottom half is removed, I hit the "LEVELEG" switch to jack the entire back up and then rotate the tire.

The "ICC" headlight switch is my next project; I have attached a link for the switch modification. This switch is necessary for this coach because of the always on headlights. I am unable to "flash" my lights, to signal other drivers it's safe to come over, because there is no way to shut off the always on headlights; without turning off the ignition switch.
On this motorhome the job will be a lot easier than most, this is because I discovered Freightliner ALSO shuts off these "day headlight" with the emergency brake. In addition to the ignition switch, when the emergency brake is applied these lights also go off. After tracing out the circuit out in my Freightliner shop manual, all they do is supply an electrical "ground" signal to the coach's electronic cab control module.
In my next post, I will supply photos of the very simple circuit I plan to install.

ICC Headlight Switch

Attachments

• Tiffin rear tire removel set-up.jpg
    Tiffin rear tire removel set-up.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 64
ICC HEADLIGHT SWITCH

Photo 001, shows the SP/DT switch I made up on my workbench. It is a center off switch with an ON in one direction and a MOMENTARY ON in the other. In the ON position the day headlights will be off. I will use the MOMENTARY ON part of the switch to "flash" the lights. It has a crimped female quick disconnect terminal and a ring terminal on each of the 2 twisted wires; installing it this way I will not have to cut any wires, should any problems arise, I can restore the circuit to original by simply removing it.
Photo 002, shows Radio Shack's two for one quick disconnect adapter.
Photo 003, is of the factory installed grounding circuit that shuts off the "day headlights" when the emergency brake is applied. It is the white plastic device in the ruff center of the photo; like my made up cable, it has one ring terminal and a quick disconnect terminal. The screw ring terminal is grounded to the frame with the screw; the quick disconnect terminal feeds the "headlight module" shown in Photo 006 and the "Emergency Brake ON" light in the dashboard instrument panel. This grounding circuit MIGHT supply signals to other dashboard circuits, I will not know for sure until it is installed and tested.
Photos 004 and 005 show the switch installed and wired.

The additional circuit that showed up during the test, is a very mild buzzer. This buzzer warns that the emergency brake is on, when the engine is running and the transmission is put into gear. Since I can't see the headlights, I now get a visual and sound warning when ever I flash my lights.
At some future time, I will install a "blocking diode" in the circuity closer to the headlight module; this diode will prevent the two warnings from showing up when I use the ICC switch.

Attachments

• ICC Switch 001 (Small).jpg
    ICC Switch 001 (Small).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 36
  • ICC Switch 002 (Small).jpg
    ICC Switch 002 (Small).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 29
  • ICC Switch 003 (Small).jpg
    ICC Switch 003 (Small).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 37
  • ICC Switch 004 (Small).jpg
    ICC Switch 004 (Small).jpg