2012 RVForum QZ Rally - Arrivals and rally activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Took the jeep just on the west side of Quartzite, where some old mine is, great view of all the RV`s in Quartzite.

Attachments

• off4.jpg
    off4.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 63
Vmax

Some year you should join the RVForum Rally.... Join us on our rides & get that Jeep dirty & pin-stripped.

Hi, to all of you at the rally, Thanks for a great day. Your hospitality to a stranger was exceptional, and made for a great time.
Bill

2012 RVForum Rally Group Photo

Here's the low res version of the group shot. Thanks to Tom Seiler and Ray for their input as to setup, lens stuff, and such. I really appreciated that -- and I believe the shot shows the results.

If anyone still at the rally is interested in copying to a flash drive I have the high res (4.8meg jpg and 12 meg raw) versions available for you.

Unfortunately, a number of folks had to leave before the pot luck - so though I believe the final tally of rigs attending will wind up at about 47 this year, only about 30 were still around this afternoon.

OTOH, Bob Maxwell pulled in before the pot luck -- so that made our day complete.  :)

I also have a great image of the Forum Staff at the rally and pot luck today -- that I will upload later this evening.

Attachments

• Group2012LowRes.JPG
    Group2012LowRes.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 96
Thanks to Bob for taking the group picture. What a great shot, what a great bunch of people. Maybe next year, we should do the picture in the middle of the week before folks need to depart?

Potluck was fantastic, so much good food. And once people took home their dirty dishes, many returned for a campfire social.

Thanks to everyone who attended.
Thanks to everyone for all the great food at Happy Hour and the Potluck.
Thanks to those who led events and those who participated.
Thanks for the firewood and the fire makers.
Thanks to those who picked up trash.
Thanks to the newbies for joining our crazy group.
Thanks to Daisy and Fred for starting this Quartzsite Rally so many years ago.
And a big thanks to those who smiled, no matter what.

Life Is Good.
Wendy, Mike and Gordon, headed north tomorrow (ok, so it's only 15 miles)

I've been asked to post the recipe for Shirley's Black Bean Soup that she brought to the potluck today.  This recipe is posted in memory of our good friend, Holly Babcock of Minnetonka, Minnesota who actually thought up the recipe herself and was kind enough to pass it on to us.  So here goes:

Simmer in Pot:

1 can chicken broth
1 (15 oz?) can diced tomatoes
1 pkg dry McCormick White Chicken Chili seasoning
2 cans black beans (one drained)
1 - 1 1/2 cups frozen whole corn
2 large or 3 small - medium cooked and diced chicken breasts

Serve hot, optionally top with grated sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, and/or tortilla chips.

riverguy said:
Hi, to all of you at the rally, Thanks for a great day. Your hospitality to a stranger was exceptional, and made for a great time.
Bill,
We were happy  to have you join a couple of the  4 wheel drive trips and even happier to see you join the RVForum.  Hope  you plan to return to Q next year.  We do  have a great time with many laughs and  adventures!
Betty

I second Wendy's thanks to everyone who made it such a successful rally.  Another great year at Quartzsite!

Tom J - As you look through the Ridge trail ride photos you can't miss that little yellow bug.  Proof that a VW bug can go four-wheeling!!  Jerry and I were with the tailgunners, the Weimerts.  We were sitting at the bottom of "Jim's transmission hill" watching what was happening at the top of the trail and listening to Betty "spot" for Mike over the CB.  At one point it looked to us as though the bug was going to tip over backwards and there was an audible sucking in of breath by both Barb and me.  I had sweaty palms just watching and knew Wendy probably had her eyes closed watching from above.  Anyway you can bet that Mike provided the most excitement for the day.  Can a VW bug go on 4WD trails?  You betcha!!

Safe travels to everyone and see you down the road.

ArdraF

RVForum Quartzsite Rally -- Forum Staff in Attendance

Nice to see this many of the forum staff here in Quartzsite.

Betty Brewer
Wendy Lawrence
Marsha Lassen
Bob Maxwell
Lou Schneider
Jeff Cousins
Don Miller

They "did" get a bit rowdy though when I tried to set up the photo.

First, I had trouble getting their attention -- then they started making faces at me.

But finally they settled down . . .  :)

Attachments

• ForumStaff(1)s.JPG
    ForumStaff(1)s.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumStaff(2)s.JPG
    ForumStaff(2)s.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumStaff(3)s.JPG
    ForumStaff(3)s.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 62
Bob - To paraphrase quite liberally one of Betty's comments:  Trying to get this group organized is like "trying to herd cats."  ::)

ArdraF

Hi all,

Thanks for organizing another great rally, There are to many individuals to name them all by name for making this such a great event but here are a few: Bob, Mike, Wendy, Betty, Terry, Frank and ...............
Unfortunately we had to leave early this morning because our doctors appointments on Monday. We also are sorry we missed the potluck dinner and are disappointed Betty that our prepared potluck food contributions was not appreciated :) At least today I could have used those two grape fruits to quiet down my noisy stumack. This would have been  the only food I would have had for the whole day.
We left at 7.30 this morning and arrived home at 7.30 tonight local time. When we came to Bakersfield it was to early to set up camp. So we decided to keep on rolling. We had heavy front winds and the mpg dropped down to 5.9. After Barstow we kept gaining mpg performance and time. In the mean time we remembered that we still had to dump. At the intersection of route 46 and I5 at The KOA Lost Hills we dumped. The KOA is closed and a run down campground. There were only 2 Fith wheels and a guy showed up and collected $ 10.
On the 152 we filled up with fuel. Mimi had her first meal of the day while I cleaned the windows and filled up the fuel tank. It was a a bargain price of $ 3.99 or $ 4.05 cash. What the hell did I do with all the cash I had stacked away? 93 gallons for $ 374.00
At home we quickly unloaded the valuables and I got my first drink of the day besides a glass of ice water while Mimi had dinner at the truck stop.
Well to morrow is unloading and cleaning so for now good night.

Silver Leaf recorded:
Leaving at 7.30 AM arriving 7.30 PM San Jose.
Distance 616.4 miles
MPH. 52.00
Hours driving 11.50
MPG 6.8
Fuel usage 91.1 Gallon

Seniors Chris and Mimi

Sorry I had to skip out before the pot luck. My friend who had the accident is now awake and recovery, tho long, looks promising. Still no determination if she had a stroke before tumbling from her horse.
Thanks to Randy, Don and George for helping me hook up and thanks to everybody for another great Quartzsite rally, I love you all!!

Good Morning, I wished that I had gotten up earlier to wish George V.  a very Happy Birthday.  I have a  big piece of carrot cake and a candle I had planned to give him this morning but who knew he would pull out at 8:30 am.  I tried  catching him on the CB but I guess he did not have it on.  So now what to do with that piece of carrot  cake?

Happy Birthday and we are so glad you came out to Q again this year.

Betty and Terry

Group Picture and Forum Staff Picture Higher Res Download.

Have placed a ZIP file on my website containing the higher res shots of the group and the forum staff. There is also a copy of the lower res group shot I have already posted to the forum. HERE is the URL to download. The zip file is about 10 meg in size.

I have posted my photos from the 2012 Quartzsite rally. I used my 8mm super wide angle fisheye lens on all of these photos except the last two sunset shots. I did not use this lens because it was the best lens for the situation. I used it because it is new to me and not easy to use so I was basically practicing using the lens knowing at least 40 other people were documenting the rally with "normal" lenses. My fisheye introduces distortion that will make things look totally out of proportion. The very first shot demonstrates this distortion. I am standing about 4 feet away from this motorhome and the shot includes the entire motorhome, but it warps it a lot. If I have misidentified anything in the captions please let me know. After you click on the link you can click on the Slideshow link in the upper left and then push F11 to go full screen. There is a speed control at the bottom of the screen if the images are going by too fast. As always if you want any of these photos for any reason just hit the download button.

https://picasaweb.google.com/SeilerBird/QZ?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Tom, great photos....lots of fun.  I especially liked the "love bug" shot.  Almost makes her look real.

There are a handful of us left here in QZ. 

We had a great time this year, even with my being late to everything..<slapping forehead>  On Tuesday morning we head to Buckskin Mountain State Park along the Colorado River.

Marsha~

Tom..excellent photos.  The fish eye lenses gives a cool perspective.  Chris Pennings..600 miles in one day..just for a drink..there are bars along the way <g>...

Back
Top Bottom