2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you so much for providing such a information. It has a big help for me. Hope to see more info updated.I must bookmark this article!

Another question - Are the jacks Auto-leveling or just plain hydraulic jacks where we need to level using them?

If everything goes right we maybe picking up the unit tomorrow.

Thanks,
jon

jjbescher said:
We are about to buy an ACE 29.2.  I have a question for those that own one.  Do the 110 outlets on on the passenger side work when driving and the generator is not running?

Also, is there a DVD player hooked up to the TV in the main area?

jon

If you have an Inverter on your ACE, it will provide 110 to some of the electrical outlets and often to the DVD and to the TV.  However many motor homes have a shut out which will not allow the TV to operate while the motor home is being driven.

Marsha~

We got the ACE back from the shop and everything is good....until our next trip!  ;D  The excellent news was that everything was covered under warranty.  We didn't have to pay a single thing.

• They fixed the kitchen sink kinking issue by replacing what was there and putting in a 90 degree elbow instead.
  • The rattle from the slide was caused by the slide cover (don't know technical term).  The part that rolls in and out with your slide.  Apparently it was slapping against the rig during travel so they put a rubber grommet on each side to prevent the noise.  We will see if this holds up on our next trip.
  • The awning problem was hilarious.  I feel like this would only happen to us.  Apparently when installing the awning switch they found the closest live wire to connect to and that ended up being the 3 way switch that ran the bedroom lights.  So for the 3 hours that our awning was stuck if we had gone into the bedroom and turned the light on it would have worked!  We obviously had no way of knowing this was the problem, but it's very funny to found out how easy it would have been to fix it.  So they rewired the switch and it's good now.
  • There is no issue with the macerator pump related to the grey water tank.  I think we are just unsure of the sounds and need to get used to it.  We are taking another trip in 2 weeks so I we will see how it goes then.

We had a VERY good experience with our local service center.  They were efficient, informative and kept the RV clean.  We are very pleased with them.

Glad to see this post as we are currently considering purchasing the ACE. I have not been able to find an estimated mpg and wondering if anyone knows what this might be. The salesman told us around 10-11, but I thought that sounded a big generous. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

alderdweller said:
Glad to see this post as we are currently considering purchasing the ACE. I have not been able to find an estimated mpg and wondering if anyone knows what this might be. The salesman told us around 10-11, but I thought that sounded a big generous. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

We haven't gone through a full tank of gas yet so I'm not 100% sure of the exact number.  Our dealer told us 8-9 MPG and I think that fits with what others have said.

Lesh said:
We haven't gone through a full tank of gas yet so I'm not 100% sure of the exact number.  Our dealer told us 8-9 MPG and I think that fits with what others have said.

We just picked up ours today.  The Financial guy who deals without of people with ACE's says that for the first 10,000 Miles, expect about 7 MPG while the engine is breaking in.  After that the MPG will go up, he has had some tell him that they have gotten 12 MPG.

Curious what you all like about the ACE 29.2 because we looked at it and there was a lot that we didn't like, like the bowl sink in the kitchen. Inquiring minds want to know :)

Wendy

Honestly there are some things about it we don't like too. I don't know who came up with the idea of the doggie feed/water bowl in the hallway. Great place to stub your toe while stumbling from bed to bath. I also wasn't crazy about the sofa.
The things we like are size - we are looking for 28-30 ft, and overhead bed as we occasionally have family visit.
We are trying to weigh the pros and cons. We are also considering the Coachman Leprechaun 31 ft. I like the interior much better but was wanting to get away from the C class.

Wendy said:
Curious what you all like about the ACE 29.2 because we looked at it and there was a lot that we didn't like, like the bowl sink in the kitchen. Inquiring minds want to know :)

Wendy

After trying to pack up the 29.2 last night, from stuff that was in our old camper, there are definitely some things that are different.  Have not used the sink yet, so really can not comment on that, but yes would have preferred a square or rectangular sink.  Things I like about it.  Although outside storage is less than the 29.1 and other RV's, still a lot more than what I had.  I just need to be smart about how I use it.  The spacious room inside is great, even spacious with the slide-out in.  The automatic levelers are AWESOME.  The macerator and NEVER having to deal with a sewer hose again.

jon

Doesn't sound like anything very unique. Most Rvs now have slides and newer ones have more outside storage than older models. And a macerator can be installed on just about any RV sewer system, or use a portable model.

harlee79 said:
Is the macerator an add on for the ACE?  or does it come standard?  Thanks

It is an add on.  It was already included on ours, we did not ask them to add it.

Lesh said:
It is an add on.  It was already included on ours, we did not ask them to add it.

For the 29.2 it comes standard.  It is because the Black Tank is on the camping side and the way they had to do the plumbing.

jon

jjbescher said:
For the 29.2 it comes standard.  It is because the Black Tank is on the camping side and the way they had to do the plumbing.

jon

There were four 29.2's on the lot at our dealer & our ACE was the only one that had a macerator.

Lesh said:
There were four 29.2's on the lot at our dealer & our ACE was the only one that had a macerator.

Wow, I was told it comes standard.  Maybe the ones coming off the factory now it comes standard.

So far loving mine, although we have not been camping with it, but the 2 hour drive home was not as hard as I thought.

jon

So much action in this thread over the weekend!  I will try to respond to everything, sorry if it is confusing and out of order.

Jan - Did your 29.2 come with the macerator?  I am wondering if the dealer decides what extras come on the RV?  I don't even see a macerator as an option on the ACE (http://acemotorhome.com/features.php).  I also remember that my dealer was very surprised when he opened the sewer compartment and it was in there.

We picked and love the ACE for many reasons.  We first started looking at it because of it's size, price and the overhead bunk.  I grew up RVing with my grandparents and since I was so used to their layout I was looking for a lot of those features again.  It worked so great back then so I knew it would for me now.  Then after looking at many models we liked the styling of the ACE much better than the other options.  It was more modern, inside and out.  As we were narrowing down our choices (we only looked at A Class) we were down to the ACE & Hurricane.  We picked the ACE b/c it seemed more higher end on many features, especially since it didn't have an air mattress for the sofa and bunk like the Hurricane did. 

I really like the layout of the 29.2, where you have the conversation area (with sofa and dining room facing) and then the prep area next.  Then I most definitely wanted my entire kitchen on one slide or at least all together.  I didn't like where other models had part of the kitchen on one side and something like the fridge on the other.  Also, having part of your kitchen on a slide seems very dumb to me.  I like how the sofa folds down for a bed (this is exactly what my grandparents RV had) and the overhead bunk for when we had guests camping with us (which also has a pad and no air mattress).  I too am not too thrilled with the round since in the kitchen or that it's white, but it wasn't so bad that it turned me off.  The 30.1 had more counter space, but the fact that the TV was in the kitchen and the seating area was behind me turned me off that model.  I am a huge cook at home so I was trying to be more relaxed and simple on camping trips.  I wanted to step outside of my comfort zone and get used to a smaller space.  The kitchen area worked really great for us on our first trip.  I'm sure there will be times that I hate it but I think it has a great layout for us.

The bathroom and bedroom layout didn't play a huge part in our decision.  We went back and forth about whether is was best to have everything in one room or a separate shower/toilet.  In the end it wasn't that big of a thing for us to choose the 30.1 over the 29.2.  As far as the bedroom, the horizontal layout gives you a lot more storage in the bedroom, but seems to leave you less in the rest of the coach.  I always felt that if we had guests camping with us they wouldn't want to keep their stuff in our room, but up front with them.  So to me I like the vertical layout where the storage was throughout the coach.

As far as the doggie feeding station.  In the 29.2 this is inside the bathroom and out of the way, it's in the hallway in the other models.  We have 3 dogs though so we won't ever use that.  In our last trip, I didn't even notice it was there.  It was never in the way.

As far as storage, I didn't look at the 29.1 at all (didn't like the kitchen configuration), but I thought they had about the same storage space as the 29.2.  Either way, there is tons of storage for us.  Inside and out.  Yes, I would like to have a couple smaller compartments available outside, but the large compartment in the back is FANTASTIC.  I know that everyone takes different amounts based on their family but for us (2 adults, 3 dogs), we have tons of space.  So much more than I was ever expecting and space was a HUGE issue for me when shopping.  We we loaded up for our first trip we had tons of cabinets inside that we weren't even using.

Overall, my husband and I find the ACE 29.2 to be very homey.  When the slide is out and we are sitting there we just feel comfortable.  Everything seems to be in just the right place for us.  We do not regret our decision at all, this is the perfect coach for us.  But obviously they made many different models because one type won't work for everyone!  :D

Thanks Lesh for the report. We went yesterday and looked at the 29.2. I didn't realize there was such a huge difference in the 29.1 and 29.2. We drove 3 hours to a Camping World that was open on Sunday.
So today, we find out a CW about 2 1/2 hrs away has the 30.1. Now....I am really confused. lol. We will most likely drive down to see it, as the bigger closet space in bedroom would be a plus for us. I also liked the sofa and dinette being on same wall in front of tv, although it does cut down on counter space. I really don't do any heavy duty cooking in ours now.
Decisions, decisions. It's all giving me a tremendous headache!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom