2013 Chevy 2500HD short wheel base 5th wheel questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam12

I just bought a this truck and I am looking for the best solution for towing my 2002 28' Flagstaff. I have a  hide away goose neck hitch and I am trying to avoid putting in rails and using a slider.  Most importantly it seems that the truck sits too high.  Any help is appreciated.

Just how short is it?  "Short" comes in several sizes now, based on the combo of cab style (regular, extended or crew) and bed length (short or standard or long). A 2500 probably doesn't have the real short (5.5 ft) bed, but a regular cab standard (6.5 ft) bed is still considered a pretty short truck.

Basically you have to calculate the distance from pin to the back of the cab and compare to the width and swing radius of the particular trailer you choose. Generally speaking, a 5W has a strong potential to strike the rear of the cab in a sharp (jack-knife) turn if you aren't watching closely.

I'm in the same boat. have a 2005 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 with a 6'-9" box.  Selling our TT and picking up our new Sabre 34TBOK next Thursday! :D  I have the B&W turnover goose-neck ball system in my truck and didn't want to lose it nor do I want rails if I can help it.  I am getting the B&W Companion hitch, which isn't a slider.  The dealer wanted me to purchase a kit that adds rails that will fit into the turnover system, and so be removable.  After the rails system is installed, then a traditional slider will fit.  My problem is, the companion is less than $1000, installed.  The other system with slider would be about $2500.  The good news is that B&W has a companion slider hitch coming out any day now.  SO if I buy the non-slider now, i can buy the slider Companion base when it comes out and still be less than the other option.  That is, if I find I need a slider at all.

good luck to you

Gary RV Roamer said:
Just how short is it?  "Short" comes in several sizes now, based on the combo of cab style (regular, extended or crew) and bed length (short or standard or long). A 2500 probably doesn't have the real short (5.5 ft) bed, but a regular cab standard (6.5 ft) bed is still considered a pretty short truck.

Basically you have to calculate the distance from pin to the back of the cab and compare to the width and swing radius of the particular trailer you choose. Generally speaking, a 5W has a strong potential to strike the rear of the cab in a sharp (jack-knife) turn if you aren't watching closely.

It's a 6.5 bed and I have the draw-tite turnover ball. I also have looked at the companion 5W, but I am being told that I'd still need a sidewinder. That's around $1,750.00 for both.

Any one have any experience with the Goose Box?

I have also considered the Convert-a-Ball 7 1/2" offset hitch. Seems durable and is around $500.

Let's be clear. You are not required to have a slider or Sidewinder to operate a 5W on a 6.5 ft, standard-bed truck. The purpose of those devices (or similar ones) is to eliminate any possibility of a driver error while maneuvering in tight quarters.  People towed 5Ws with short bed trucks for 20+ years without mechanical aids - you just have to pay attention to what you are doing. I did it myself for two years, and never came close to a cab-strike, primarily because I never encountered a situation where I had to turn sharply enough for it to happen. Maybe because I was a chicken - if the site was so tight that I would have to jack-knife the trailer to get into it, I passed it up.

As a practical matter, you should never need to make such a tight turn when moving forward. Backing up, however, can  sometimes get you into 50 degree or better turns (either because you misjudged something or out of necessity in a cramped location) and its that same situation where you may become focused on the back of the trailer and the front of the truck and forget to watch the cab. The slider or Sidewinder will  save your bacon in that situation and the cost will have been cheap if it does!

I have the B&W flip over ball with gooseneck adapter on 5th wheel. When I went from my 2004 2500HD CCSB to my 2012 2500HD CCSB I did have to rasie the hitch on the 5th wheel. Pretty easy process really. Hooked the 5th wheel up to pickup put the front jacks down to where most of the weight was off the pickup. Unbolted the four bolts that hold the pin box on the hitch and lowered front jacks on trailer untill I was a touch high with no weight on pickup and rebolted it. Could supply pics if anymore questions.

Back
Top Bottom