2013 New Years Rally at Catalina State Park, AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff, I'm sure that you meant to say that you were parked between Debby and Liza who have the 46 inch LEDs. Speaking for us, I can tell you that the only reason that we have ours is because Debby wanted it!

New Years Day 2013 Happy Hour was set for  3:00 today.  It was a cool crisp and sunny day just perfect for  welcoming in our New Year's Resolutions.  A surprise cake  presented to Jerry and Ardra to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary.  But since  none of us were invited to their wedding vow renewal in Reno on  Dec 1st, we decided to  make a celebration of our own even if it was  31 days later!  I think you can see they were truly surprised.  Jerry fed Ardra cake and then Ardra served the entire RVForum  pieces of cake.  Surprisingly several declined the cake  keeping true to  the New Year's resolution!

Group shots show the beauty of the day.  Tomorrow several are off for repairs, some are staying for a hike at 11:30 and many plan to meet up again for the FMCA Western Rally in Indio, CA.  What a  true FRAMILY!

Attachments

• IMG_1786-001.JPG
    IMG_1786-001.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1788-001.JPG
    IMG_1788-001.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1789-001.JPG
    IMG_1789-001.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1797-001.JPG
    IMG_1797-001.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1810-001.JPG
    IMG_1810-001.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1811-001.JPG
    IMG_1811-001.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1812-001.JPG
    IMG_1812-001.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1814-001.JPG
    IMG_1814-001.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 36
A few more pictures from today.

Attachments

• P1010712resized.jpg
    P1010712resized.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010713resized.jpg
    P1010713resized.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010708resized.jpg
    P1010708resized.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010711resized.jpg
    P1010711resized.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 39
In Betty's photos a few posts back it looks like Jeff swallowed the local cat.

Wish we could have been there.

Tourmaster said:
In Betty's photos a few posts back it looks like Jeff swallowed the local cat.

Sorry Jeff for that awful photo.  I have now edited it out of the celebration.  Jeff had not done anything to deserve such a bad shot.....  If  he  had I  would have included it.  So watch out if I have a camera in hand!

Well, Happy New Year to all!  We celebrated the New Year on Atlantic Std time, 9PM here.  Missed Catalina yet again, but we were there in spirit, we really had a great time the one time we were able to attend.  Been back to the park several times since. 

Here at Old Faithful the temps were only about 16, but overcast so no midnight eruption photos. 

My resolution is to keep on doing what I love. 

Hello Folks,

We have just come back to civilization (and, more importantly, cell phone coverage area  :) ), so please forgive us for the long absence from the forum and also for not having replied to your emails yet (the gmail client just beeped and we saw there's a few there). After leaving the Catalinas we have been to Titan Missile Museum, Sonoran Desert Museum, Kitt Peak, Organ Pipes and are now on our way North for the last part of our trip.

We want to say that all and each one of you are fantastic persons, and we have never felt so cherished and welcome in a group as we had in our meetings at the Catalina SP.

We really look forward to meeting everyone again in as short a time as we can manage!

As soon as we can manage we will come back and post some more (and reply to the emails).

Cheers, and a happy 2013 to each and everyone!
--
  Vall & Mo.

It's beginning to be lonely around here.  Several hit the road this morning.

I'd like to give a special thanks to Ken and Sheila for once again providing the  organization to this rally.  After all, someone sets the dates, someone makes the Mexican restaurant reservations (and confirms them) someone gives us the movie schedule, someone sets the times for  Happy Hours, someone organizes the  New Years eve places and times, someone makes lunch reservations for 20, someone organizes a 50th anniversary party.  Someone takes very good care of us.  Rallies don't just happen, SOMEONE does  lots of little details constantly to make our good times.

Thank you  Ken and my  Girlfriend Sheila!!!!!!!!!

Jerry and I were both totally surprised and overwhelmed by your surprise party and cake.  Sheila and Betty, we both thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  The people on this forum once again showed their caring and love!  I noticed Sheila and Betty going into the Kuch's coach and figured they were up to something but didn't have a clue it involved the two of us.  What a lovely gesture!  Thank you so much.

We didn't really plan our 50th vows renewal on Dec. 1st until a few days before Thanksgiving so no one was invited.  It was just the two of us, the minister, the lady who works at the wedding chapel, and the limo driver.  The lady and the driver were the witnesses.  None of our original wedding party are still "with" us and our small family were on the other side of the country so we just did our own thing.

To add to Betty's comments about people making our rallies work, the surprise anniversary party for us is a perfect example of this.  Someone had to plan when to do it and the weather changed every day so having a happy hour with decent weather was iffy.  Sheila kept track of the days and then Betty had to get the cake and have it inscribed with the right number of days.  Someone had to get eating utensils.  Someone had to make sure everyone was present.  So none of these rallies just happen on their own.  We all have to take part so when you come to a rally, do plan to participate even if it's "just" clearing the table after a meal or leading a group event.

Thank you again, Betty and Sheila.

ArdraF

I am very pleased that Jerry & Ardra were really surprised.  In addition, all these rallies work because everyone is willing to help in some way and I think that we all just have so much fun being together.  Thanks to all who attended.

By the way next year will be the 7th annual Catalina New Years Rally.  As we saw this year the park was full over the holidays so if you think there is any chance you might attend you should reserve a site now.  Several of us already have and the cost to canccel is only $5.00 if the need should arise. 

Happy New Year and we will see a lot of you at Indio this coming Sunday!!!!!

SheilaJune

Happy New Year to all the Framily.  Ned and I missed everyone at Catalina but we had a very nice Christmas and New Years Eve with some of our RV neighbors.  About 20 of us went out for dinner New Years Eve, then went to watch the fireworks at Canyon Lake and after that went to of our neighbors for dessert.  Got to see New York ball drop, so all in all it was great.

Ken & Sheila said:
the cost to canccel is only $5.00 if the need should arise. 

Just an interesting note, I'm reading my Mom's 1988 journal and they stayed at Catalina in January 1988, cost $5, no hookups. Times change

Wendy

Six of us  hiked the  Canyon Loop Trail in Catalina State Park today.  It continues to be beautiful and to inspire us with the  glories of the desert!  In& Out Burger was Terry and Jim's reward.

This evening the remaining 10 of us discovered a "new to us"  restaurant.  Bubb's Grub treated us very well with their  BBQ items.  We had terrific service,  fine food and good atmosphere! A definite go back to  restaurant while visiting Tucson!

I think 2 more will remain in the morning as the rest  head out in different directions.  Adios Amigos.

Once again, our no-host New Year's Rally was keep rolling along by our non-hosts Ken & Sheila. Thanks from us also.

Did Ray and Liza make it back from their service appt?

We got to Massey's a little ahead of our appt. Tom's service was great as always. Tomorrow at 6AM is Cummins to have them fix the pan gasket leak (3rd try) and change the oil/filters.

Thanks to all who came to the rally and I hope you all and a good time despite the weather.

We have signed up with the park for next year as have a few others so I guess there will be a 7th annual.

I know we will see some of you in a few days at Indio. Safe travels to all.

ken'

Ray and I were back from our service appointment in time for happy hour!  We had a broken and missing bracket on our sway bar.  The awning mysteriously healed itself before we got to LA Mesa.  This was the least expensive service call we have ever had.  Wow!

Thanks to all for making this years rally a great success.    Thanks to Sheila and Ken for hosting and keeping everybody in line. 

The  Happy hikers of the day.  Catalina State Park Canyon Loop.

Attachments

• IMG_1819-001.JPG
    IMG_1819-001.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1821-001.JPG
    IMG_1821-001.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom