2014 Jeelp Patroit manual trans odometer log towing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alschuetz

We recently started Rv'in (August) with an Itasca Reyo.  As we drove the highways, we always checked what others were towing.  This site has also been very helpful in my understanding of what works/doesn't work.  So we settled on a 2014 Jeep Patroit with the manual transmission and a curb weight of 3100 lbs.  The Owners Manual states that it can be towed behind an RV with the transmission in neutral and the key switched to Accessories.

So we bought the Jeep and it is being setup by our RV dealer.  They called and told me that the 12v cigarette lighter was not powered when the key is in Accessories position and they added an additional outlet for the brake device (RV Brake). 

We will be picking it up Monday.  But my wife asked me if the Jeep will log miles while being towed.  I believe, from this forum, that the odometer is electric, and should not log miles while towing.  Anyone have knowledge of the 2014 Jeep Patriot with manual transmission and odometer logging?

Thanks

Dealer you took it to may not have been familiar with Jeeps. Most Jeeps have a hot all the time cigar plug in the storage box between the seats. That is where I plug in for my Jeep Wrangler. They have a jeep forum. There is an app. Lots of good info about jeep. They don't mention much about towing just equip in jeep etc. My 2012 jeep does not require ignition in acces position and miles are not logged. Your model may be slightly different. I put my wrangler in 2nd gear and 4WD transfer case in neutral. It should all be discussed in your manual for specific directions. IMPORTANT! When unhooking get in the habit of using hand brake before you unhook even on flat ground. I have seen RVers chasing toads. Although funny it can be serious and dangerous.

We are currently in North Carolina, after towing the toad from Florida and through the Georgia mountains.  The Jeep Patriot towed very well.

As you noted, the milage is not logged when the key is in the unlock position.  I have noted four positions (off, unlocked, accessories, run). The Patriot is front wheel drive X 2.  So I put the manual transmission in neutral. There isn't a second 12v outlet in the cheap version Patriot.  But I could see the cover plate where it probably is in the higher models.  We had to stay with the lower model, as it is the only one with 5 speed manual.  But it does have the bigger 4 cylinder 2.4 engine and has suprising power.  Thanks for your response and for your tip on using the hand brake.  I do not want to turn up as a Youtube video!

I know everyone is different and each towing system operates differently, but what I do to disconnect is get into our Jeep, start it, take it out of transfer case neutral, but leave the auto transmission in Park and then start it.  I then turn the wheels, oir usually have the DW turn the steering wheel from one side to the other to allow me to check when the connector pins are free, so much easier to disconnect.  That way we avoid the parking brake requirement that you will have because of it being a standard.
    Enjoy the toad, we love our Jeep.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom