2014 Open Range 345 RLS 5th Wheel W/ Akuret Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

We just finished a 4300 mile trip from CT to the Florida Panhandle and then down to south Florida before the return north. My unit is a 2014 my tires were manufactured in 2011 and I've got close to 9K miles on them in 6 months. Truck and trailer tires at 80PSI I run at 63MPH the majority of the time might hit 65 occasionally on a downhill. I have had no problems, tires look new and I check them very frequently and an average day is 450 miles.

I ran into a fella along the way with a 2015 Open range slightly larger than ours. He told me he runs a bit hard most of the time and he has bubbling on the inside sidewalls, He said he called either his dealer or Open Range I can't recall and they told him it was a non issue. Personally I think he has a big problem but I'm no tire expert. What I do believe is if you stay within the manufacturers specs and avoid pothole and curbs to the best of your ability you should get your moneys worth out of the tires, made in China or not. Just my opinion, whats your experience?

We brought our new to us fiver home from Fl, last spring and took the Chinese tire off in the summer. When the shop pulled them one already had bubbles on the inside showing sidewall separation. I put on four new Cooper LT's. Having read this forum for years now, I would say having Chinese tires is like holding a firecracker without knowing how long the fuse is "You know it going to blow, just not when".

Respectfully I disagree. I strongly believe its all about maintenance & proper use, the most expensive tire you can buy can blow if you pick up a nail or screw or any foreign item. I see travel trailers, 5th wheels, and all classes of RV's doing 70 to 80 MPH all the time and folks pulling simple utility trailers or uhaul trailers as well. Remember the Ford tire blowout issue not long ago, I believe they were defective tires which actually killed people. After that I would like to think the RV manufacturers have done their homework, we hope anyway... I have driven well over a million miles in general with only one blowout and that was a result of a nail in the tire from a construction site. I think the China Bomb theory is over exaggerated.

Bubbles on any tire is a scary symptom. It's conceivable they are just cosmetic, but not very likely. I would ditch those suckers forthwith!

I'm guessing these are ST tires? If so, your friend has been exceeding their design limits and probably contributed to the problem.

I don't share your faith that the RV makers have done their homework - their track record overwhelmingly indicates otherwise. Even assuming the tire specs are adequate for the axle loads, they no doubt have chosen the least expensive tire they could find that meets the load requirement. Quality and long term reliability would not have been on the priority list.

Hi Gary

I'd like to think they haven't bulk purchased the cheapest junk they can find but based on the quality of certain things I have had to repair most likely you and JW have made me reconsider my faith! What tires do you prefer and how often do you replace them? JW likes Coopers.

If I still had a trailer, it would probably have Maxxis tires. Or, if suitable for the trailer size, LT truck tires. I would want a speed rating greater than 65, even if I planned to always stay under that.

From numerous reports I've seen here over 15+ years, I feel it is fair to say that RV makers are notorious for lowballing on tires. There have been several recalls for tires that were inadequate for the axle ratings, and dozens of reprts of tires that failed for inexplicable reasons, early in their life. And that's after discarding the reports that were likely caused by underinflation/overload/excess speed.

Akuret tires is a brand nobody heard of until a few trailer manufacturers started using them. The way a newcomer wins business from established suppliers is he goes in and makes the RV manufacturer a better price. The RV maker only cares that the tires last the one year warranty. Maybe not even that, since the tire manufacturer warranties the tire separately anyway. No skin off the RV makers nose if they pay out claims. As long as it isn't so bad that the RV makers gets sued or the feds force a recall (like what happened to Ford).

Its funny that one of the first things I was told by a RV salesman is when I do buy the trailer or 5th wheel to have new tires installed.  He dosen't care if they do it or better yet to buy and bring them in or go to a tire dealer.  He doesn't trust the ones installed and cant  how old or how they were stored.

Given my recent experiences with China made tires, I gotta agree that there are ''bombs'' waiting to mess up your camping trip. Had 3 blow on one 90 mile one way trip, Tow Master, less than 2000 miles. I always check pressure and air up when need, do not drive over 62, mostly at 60 even as much as possible. Replaced with Maxis, we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom