2014 Scientific Toilet Paper Dissolve Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must admit to a running joke between Catblaster and myself. Every time we get together one of us remarks that today would be a good day to go buy some toilet paper and do some dissolving tests. Well, it is funny to us. ???

The science experiment has Susan and I wanting to go to QZ...you folks are having too much fun.

A friend of mine gave me some really good advice on upkeep of the black tank.  He said that right before I take off to put some toilet treatment down my commode followed by a 10 lb bag of ice.  This sloshing around will help to loosen up any particles at the bottom of the black tank.  He was right, it helped a lot.  I also put a little bleach down toilet about 10 hours before I flush tanks (just a little though).  I don't empty the black tank until it is about 3/4 full because the vacuum will help to draw out all loose matter in your tank.  I only use 1 ply RV toilet paper that I buy at Wal-Mart.  Keep an old broom handle nearby to help with any toilet paper clogs.  Not as bad as it sounds.

kevin said:
i have a serious question ::) we are not full time, take many short trips, and atleast one long on a year, i dump at every campsite, and when i get home. so the question is, does it really mater the type of paper i use, since it doesn't stay in the tank to de-compose? :-\
For your situation I think that having a good way to flush the holding tank with a lot of water is more important than what kind of TP you use.

OK, so we are a full month after Quartzsite testing of  toilet paper.  It was time  to make my purchase based on the scientific results.  We are Sam's Club Members and trotted off to local Sam's club for the purchase of the Members Mark  brand.  Alas they only come  packaged in rolls of 45.  That's a lot of rolls and it will set you back $16 or so.  So I did not buy any.

Now I am home and it's two days later.  I still need toilet paper.  Looks like I will return to Sam's and make the purchase.  I will  have stored rolls for quite some time!  Let  this message serve as a warning that if you are going with our  Quartzsite results, you may want to carpool with an RVForum friend when making your purchase at Sam's.  On my was to Sam's now................

Giggle Giggle, Betty. That is 35 cents a roll....what a bargain.

Now you are spending gas money to fetch the big-pack.

Aye, Tom.  I forgot all about that.

A side bit... Were there any fish in the river Tatt ?  Did you work on the docks ?

carson said:
Giggle Giggle, Betty. That is 35 cents a roll....what a bargain.

Now you are spending gas money to fetch the big-pack.

Carson,

That may be cheap now but I remember 4 rolls in a pack for $0.33, 8 1/4 cents each!  :)

Do I detect a Betty vs. Liza battle over who has the most rolls of toilet paper??  :) ;D ;)

ArdraF

Sorry, Ardra, the Canadians take this one, too - best dissolving TP and most rolls in a single RV. And she wouldn't even share.

ArdraF said:
By the way, this test clearly and without any doubt whatsoever proved that Kleenex tissues and feminine products should NEVER EVER be put down an RV toilet where they will remain undissolved in the RV black tank.  Make sure everyone who travels with you knows this!

ArdraF
One other thing to never, ever put down an RV toilet are the "flushable" moist wipes or baby wipes. The packaging says they are septic system safe, but I've read they don't dissolve well if at all and people are being advised to not flush them down their home toilets either.

Maybe we can continue the test next January with items marked "flushable" because I was wondering about them too.  Surely there are enough that we can prove they're not, at least in RVs.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Maybe we can continue the test next January with items marked "flushable" because I was wondering about them too.  Surely there are enough that we can prove they're not, at least in RVs.

ArdraF

There are incidences of municipal sewage systems having extremely expensive and massive blockages due to these so-called "flushable" wipes.  Don't do it. :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom