2016 Jayco Seneca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RodgerS

About an hour and a half from me, a dealership has picked up the Newmar and the Jayco brands. On my way home after visiting the Boxer breeder, I got a chance to look at two Senecas for the first time. I was very pleased, enough to want to spend a bit more time researching the Seneca.

My initial take was that the interior quality was somewhere between entry level and full time. The Seneca seems to be maturing as a choice and now comes with air ride seats. At idle, the cab interior noise was not unreasonable.

Some comments I have read include the ride being better than something like an upgraded class A F53 suspension and may be equivalent and in some ways better than some dps. Hopefully I can take one for a ride in a few weeks...there are lots of train tracks in the area to ride over to see how it performs and a decent winding grade between Manteca and Oakland with lots of commercial haulers coming up from Fresno.

Don't know yet if I would rather get a new 37 Seneca or 2008 34 Newmar Ventana used with Comfort Drive.

I can't comment on the chassis, or quality of ride....
but as a fan of the class C, I think a super C would be great.  I wish I'd had the budget to consider them!

But in my opinion the class C market is very niche..... and the super C even more so.  Even still, I'm surprised that the niche market isn't larger than it is.  I can't be that odd of a duck! ::)

I wonder how they see or describe their niche market? I think it may be different than the Dynaquest market which I perceive as very specialized, like great for pulling a race car on a trailer to a race track.

I like the extra doors and the engine access among other things.

Thor has a Super C line on the F-550 chassis.  Seems like a different animal, but I don't know how the capacities compare....
The other day I saw a ranch bed work truck on an F-550 crew cab chassis.  I thought that could make a really great class C for a family.  I would love that!

Am posting Walt's response from another forum, as it has a lot of interesting thoughts.

"my Tiffin was a diesel pusher. IMO here are the differences

Drivability: in the A's, gas or pusher, you are sitting off center from the steering wheel a bit making it more difficult to position in a lane. In the A you're always checking the mirrors to make sure you're not too far to the right.

Side push: way less in the Seneca. Why I don't know as the Seneca is overall a bit taller. Gasser A is way worse. Tag axel pushers are pretty stable.

Noise: a bit more in the Seneca but not bad IMO. Exception is when the cooling fan kicks into high speed. Don't hear that in the A pusher.

Cab heating and cooling. Terrible in the A's. Was very comfortable in the Seneca at 100 ambient temp.

Lean: Even with new Bilsteins in my DP I had to take curves about 5 mph lower than the posted speed for curve. Don't get that top heavy feeling and sway in the Seneca when driven within reason.

Re niche: IMO the Seneca is more for the off grid user in how they manage power, components chosen vs staying at an RV resort. It may also be price point. Seneca also feels like its an upgrade for a gas class C vs as a class A competitor. I think most former class A owners will be disappointed with the Seneca - basement storage, living space, appointments, components, etc."

I realize this topic is a couple of weeks old but since I recently made a trip to look at them I thought I would throw in my observations on the 2016 Seneca. I think the biggest improvement over the 2015 is the addition of air brakes. I would make sure if you are ordering a 2016 Seneca you get the air brakes I have seen on another forum that some 2016s were shipping with the older hydrolic brakes. Jayco is probably just using up the remaining 2015 chassis they have in stock.

[quote author=RodgerS link=topic=88392.msg796383#msg796383 date=1443578548

Drivability: in the A's, gas or pusher, you are sitting off center from the steering wheel a bit making it more difficult to position in a lane. In the A you're always checking the mirrors to make sure you're not too far to the right.

I don't understand this comment. I've owned 3 PD ans the drivers seat was centered on the steering wheel in all 3. I did test drive a Safaris back in 1994 and its steering wheel was slightly off-center. It drove me nuts driving it.

I have no trouble staying centered in the lane (this is true with all three coaches I have owned.

ken

We just bought a new entry level super c - the Nexus Phantom.  The mid or higher levels like the Seneca are just a little out our budget at the moment.  We drove a LOT of A, B, and C coaches over 2 years and my preference is the super c.  I'm a fan of the diesel, the cab layout, the safety factor of the engine in front and just the overall rugged truck look. We've only been on one trip, but it was great and we feel we definitely made the right choice for us. 

I think the key is finding a good layout for you, list the must haves vs the nice to haves to narrow down the field, and spend as much time test driving as you can.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom