2023 Ford 7.3l fuel economy report not towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Recent holiday visit used as a shakedown trip for new 2023 crew cab F250 7.3l gas with 3.73 rear end ratio. About 900 lbs load inc. people, luggage, some bags of sand, and 5th wheel hitch.

760 miles each way MN to Detroit for total of 1520 miles. 99% Interstate, No significant grades, winds less than 20 mph. 77 mph cruise most of the time.

Total trip was 14.9 mpg.

thought this might be of interest to others considering a new tow vehicle.

Good numbers for a big vehicle like that. Very similar to what I am getting with a Ram of the same general description. I'm happy with that too.

You will get less when you’re towing your trailer. My 1 ton Ram with 6.4 and 8 speed transmission average 10 mpg on flat lands. What transmission is in your truck? It’s nice not worrying about DEF crap, isn’t it.

Recent holiday visit used as a shakedown trip for new 2023 crew cab F250 7.3l gas with 3.73 rear end ratio. About 900 lbs load inc. people, luggage, some bags of sand, and 5th wheel hitch.

760 miles each way MN to Detroit for total of 1520 miles. 99% Interstate, No significant grades, winds less than 20 mph. 77 mph cruise most of the time.

Total trip was 14.9 mpg.

thought this might be of interest to others considering a new tow vehicle.
What does it have for a tranny?

My 18K lb Class A with the Ford 7.3L and six speed auto tranny gets around 8.8 MPG on the freeway. Beats my smaller Class C with the 7.4L GM and 4-speed (8.5 MPG).

-Don- Reno, NV

What does it have for a tranny?

My 18K lb Class A with the Ford 7.3L and six speed auto tranny gets around 8.8 MPG on the freeway. Beats my smaller Class C with the 7.4L GM and 4-speed (8.5 MPG).

-Don- Reno, NV
You're getting 90 miles further on a 50 gal tank than me in a 18k 6.8L w/5 spd. @ 7 mpg. It costs me $35-40.00 more than you between fillups.

Last edited:
You're getting 90 miles further on a 50 gal tank than me in a 18k 6.8L w/5 spd. @ 7 mpg. It costs me $35-40.00 more than you between fillups.
I always felt that the Ford V-10 wasn't a great design for such a small engine. Too many moving parts for such a small engine. Revs too high for normal loads. Inefficient design, poor MPG. That was the most common engine when Tom & I were RV shopping shortly after Y2K. The main thing I was trying to do back then was to avoid that engine. That's how I ended up with my 7.4L GM Class C.

However, I do realize many people are very happy with their V10s. But I don't even like high revving motorcycles. I enjoy the low RPM torque of my Harley and I wish it only had three gears instead of six. Americans think more is better, especially when they do not understand things very well. But three gears is all that Harley of mine needs.

I really prefer zero gears, low RPMs with near infinite torque. That means electric motorcycles. Cars also. I cannot even tell when I am going uphill. No noticeable difference from level ground other than with the range. And I don't even notice that unless I am checking for it.

-Don- Reno, NV

I always felt that the Ford V-10 wasn't a great design for such a small engine. Too many moving parts for such a small engine. Revs too high for normal loads. Inefficient design, poor MPG. That was the most common engine when Tom & I were RV shopping shortly after Y2K. The main thing I was trying to do back then was to avoid that engine. That's how I ended up with my 7.4L GM Class C.

However, I do realize many people are very happy with their V10s. But I don't even like high revving motorcycles. I enjoy the low RPM torque of my Harley and I wish it only had three gears instead of six. Americans think more is better, especially when they do not understand things very well. But three gears is all that Harley of mine needs.

I really prefer zero gears, low RPMs with near infinite torque. That means electric motorcycles. Cars also. I cannot even tell when I am going uphill. No noticeable difference from level ground other than with the range. And I don't even notice that unless I am checking for it.

-Don- Reno, NV
I had a Ford 500 that had the torque converter type "CVT" trans and it was great. However, so far at least the engineers haven't come up with a design that can handle towing loads. Too bad as it has the potential to be simpler, lighter, and better fuel economy to more and more gears (my new truck has a 10 speed).

Back
Top Bottom