2023 Ford F250 crew cab 7.3l 3.73 rear axle gas towing report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

trip to date 1200 miles MN to south GA. Grand Design 5th wheel 27RL 10,000 lb GVW and probably somewhere pretty close to that loaded up.

9.1mpg overall going 65mph. wind direction is predominately a headwind so I expect return trip north will be a little better.

"Tow/Haul" was very effective on downgrades, very little braking required. plenty of motor for upgrades. this truck would handle a somewhat heavier trailer.

Nice truck. glad I didn't try this with my F150.

"interesting" well, there were randomly spaced craters in I-24 as it wound thru Nashville. Not "potholes" but holes big enough to make me worry about a blowout from a bent rim. Atlanta downtown was special fun as always. where were all those people going on a saturday and sunday? There was an extraordinary state park in TN near Manchester. "Old Stone Fort" which is an archeology site and just across the river the Old Stone Fort Campground. Campground was excellent, an exception to what is typical for state parks.

"interesting" well, there were randomly spaced craters in I-24 as it wound thru Nashville. Not "potholes" but holes big enough to make me worry about a blowout from a bent rim. Atlanta downtown was special fun as always. where were all those people going on a saturday and sunday? There was an extraordinary state park in TN near Manchester. "Old Stone Fort" which is an archeology site and just across the river the Old Stone Fort Campground. Campground was excellent, an exception to what is typical for state parks.
Never take I-24 thru Nashville. Instead take TN 155 (AKA Briley Parkway) East and loop around past Opryland and the airport and back on I-24. Beautiful smooth road with about 6 or sometimes 8 lanes, and usually not much traffic.

I don't go thru Atlanta downtown except at night. I 285 is also horrible. Depending on where you are going, I take US 27 down the West side of the state. Its mostly 4 lane and traffic is light.

Charles

I don't go thru Atlanta downtown except at night. I 285 is also horrible. Depending on where you are going, I take US 27 down the West side of the state. Its mostly 4 lane and traffic is light.
+1 on downtown ATL. Fun fact: just before the 1996 Olympics, GDOT rushed to build HOV lanes among other projects. How they accomplished an additional lane through downtown was make the other 6 lanes narrower. All lanes on most of the downtown freeways are 11' wide with minimum shoulders, instead of the standard 12' found on most interstates.

That and it's crime central. Not saying I-285 is much better, but at least the shoulders are mostly wider and generally faster access to roadside/towing assistance. You won't be sitting there waiting to be robbed or murdered as long.

A similar bypass towards FL exists for travelers coming thru from the NE. I-85 exit 137 is US-129. Take that south and you come out in Macon at I-16 one exit from the I-75 interchange. With zero ATL traffic, the bypass route takes 15 min longer in a semi truck, and is a whole lot less stressful. Most times it's the same time to transit, or a bit faster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom