2024 Winnebago Solar Charge Controller Wiring Connection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

I am preparing to install a Victron Smart Shunt and in looking at the battery compartment, all I seem to see is the wiring to power the 12v side of the RV and the inverter, I did not see wiring from the charge controller to the battery. I will need to connect the solar wiring to the battery to the shunt. What am I missing? Thanks.

The shunt is simply inserted between the negative post of the batteries and the ground.

It does have small wires that connect the monitor to the shunt.

The charge controller does not connect to the shunt, it simply charges the batteries.

A Victron SmartShunt is connected like so:

smartshunt-wiring-wih-app.jpg

In the above diagram, note that the SmartShunt has to be connected to both the NEG and POS battery terminals. In this config, you access the battery parameters by using Victron's VictronConnect app.

Since the SmartShunt's BlueTooth range is very limited, to access the SmartShunt via the Internet, you would wire it to a Victron Cerbo GX like so:

smartshunt-with-cerbo.jpg

The shunt is simply inserted between the negative post of the batteries and the ground.

The charge controller does not connect to the shunt, it simply charges the batteries.
Yes correct but the negative side needs to be connected to the negative side of the shunt and I see no negative lead going to the batteries, other than the inverter and 12v from the distribution panel. On previous solar installs there was a positive and negative connections on the charge controller which would go to the battery. So I am trying to find out where those wires are going?

^^Yes^^ The shunt (for monitoring current) should be as close to the negative post (or parallel cabling) of the house battery bank as possible, ideally at the battery(ies). Shunts have to be connected to the charge controller or whatever device/part is used to monitor charge/discharge current.

Thanks for the replies. I am quite familiar with solar installs have done a few. I guess my original question was not clear. My 2024 Winnebago Vita came with 200w of solar panels on the roof and a Zamp charge controller already installed. In looking at my battery box, I only see positive and negative cables from the distribution panel powering all DC loads and positive and negative cables from the inverter. I do not see any additional cables to the battery. I am trying to understand where the battery cables from the charge controller terminate. So I am not sure how I could connect the solar to the shunt. The charge controller must be connected somehow since the solar panels and charge controller are charging the batteries. I am still learning about motorhomes (class C). In my previous RV’s (trailers & 5th wheel) there were separate cables from the charge controller to the batteries. Thanks again.

I would start at the roof gland where the solar cables come thru and try to trace it down the wall to the controller.

From the controller, the positive lead will connect to the positive side of the battery, possibly by intersecting another positive lead.

The negative cable will go to the negative side of the controller and then to the negative side of the battery. It is a simple charging circuit.

The monitor may or may not get power from the positive side of the battery.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom