2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger EV has 600 mile range.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The built is gasoline generator might be a game-changer.
I wonder if that will require a smog check in a smog check area such as here in Reno.

It's really a smog test on the genny, but since the genny can be used to move the truck . . . . and 130 KW? That is more than twice what my Chevy Bolt can charge on a DCFC (55KW max)

Yes, it's a new idea. So new, I don't know if I like the idea or not.

-Don- Reno, NV

The genset is not connected to the drivetrain, it's sole function is to re-charge the battery.
That translates to the 27G gas tank gets the truck 600 miles down the road = 22.2 MPG, and the power is awesome.

Last edited:
The genset is not connected to the drivetrain, it's sole function is to re-charge the battery.
Yes, I read the entire thing and that was why I wondered if it would require a smog checks. I assume so, since it uses a "3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine " to run the genny to keep the EV battery charged.

But does this engine run at only 3600 RPMs? I assume so, since it is 130 KW and an inverter genny is unlikely at that type of power. Also, will be much cleaner than ICE if it runs at only one speed.

But a smog check on a genny?

-Don- Reno, NV

I like the concept. For me, it would be a good daily driver, but still get a lot of miles while towing my TT a few times a year.

I like the concept. For me, it would be a good daily driver, but still get a lot of miles while towing my TT a few times a year.
I kinda like the idea also. You only need to run the gas engine as needed. But what would make the difference to me is if it can also be plugged in at home to charge and not need to run the gas engine except for when really needed. I would also want to be able to have the option to fast charge on the road, without using the genny at all. CCS or NACS would be fine as they should both be able to accept AC as well as DC to charge with.

I did not see where it says if it allows plug-in charging of any type.

Older hybrids have no way to home charge. A few years later, they had J-1772 (AC) charging, called "plugin Hybrids". And now they have Hybrids with CCS fast charging (Combined Charging System) DCFC as well as AC can be used on the same input charge socket. NACS (Tesla) connector can do the same.

The "2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger EV" article didn't mention anything about external charging and that would be a biggie to me. That will make the difference if I want it or not.

-Don- Reno, NV

That translates to the 27G gas tank gets the truck 600 miles down the road = 22.2 MPG, and the power is awesome.
Sure it is, it's power winds up there via the electrical coupling of the engine power to the drive wheels, the same way a diesel electric locomotive's prime mover is connected to the locomotive wheels.

You might as well argue that an automatic transmission's torque converter separates the engine from the drivetrain because it's fluid coupling breaks the direct mechanical connection.

It's not clear what problem this is solving. Maybe there's a corner case of efficiency under specific conditions but series hybrids are always less efficient than parallel. Maybe it's just an angle of emissions, operating cost being secondary. At the end of the day this will be an expensive, heavy, complicated vehicle so it will be interesting to learn what real or perceived problem it solves.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

It's not clear what problem this is solving.
If it can also be charged at home without using the genny, that makes it full time EV. The genny is only for when needed, which should be close to never these days in most areas. These days, 141 miles of range will usually get you to some type of charge station. In the few cases where not, charge the battery as needed with the genny to get the full 690 miles. Or when towing when the range reduces to perhaps 70 miles or EV range.

The only advantage I can see is that the truck can operate as full time EV in perhaps most drives, unlike a true hybrid. And a 130 KW is a good fast charge the few times it is needed.

FWIW, I like this idea better than a true Hybrid. I would rarely need the genny and perhaps most of its use for me would be to avoid the gasoline from getting too old.

But again, I assume it can also be charged from an external source which it didn't say. That would make the difference if I would even consider it.

I will see if I can search this question:

"You can DC fast-charge the Ramcharger via a Level 3 charger at up to 145 kW, which future owners may choose to do, although they will probably choose the easy way and just fill it up with gasoline, letting the generator do the charging. "

See here.

I just found ever better info here.

"When it is time to charge up, the truck supports Level 1 and Level 2 AC charging, as well as DC fast charging up to 145 kW."

I certainly would consider one of these RamChargers trucks for being my next pickup truck.

My only question now is if it requires smog checks here in NV because of the gas engine used as a generator.

-Don- Reno, NV

It's not clear what problem this is solving.
Thinking about the smog checks. No OBD2 port. Makes smog checks unlikely unless they want to do it from the muffler of the genny in the same way as they do RVs here in NV. And that is a possibility. But I will not let that little detail cause my decision of if I want to buy one or not. So far, I like the idea of the 2025 RamCharger.

FWIW, I just got notice that my Y2K RV requires a smog check to register, so I will have to drive it to Reno soon from Auburn. They give me two months to get it done.

-Don- Reno, NV

The "2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger EV" article didn't mention anything about external charging and that would be a biggie to me. That will make the difference if I want it or not.

-Don- Reno, NV
It's a plug-in hybrid.

It's a plug-in hybrid.
I guess you didn't read my message number 9 here before you posted that.

I consider it a pure EV that carries a nice large 130 KW genny and I like the idea. Even the DCFC for it is not much faster at 145KW. And that is a nice charge rate. It's kinda like an EV that brings its own gasoline DCFC. So use the gas only when you cannot find a place to charge up.

BTW, this would be a great idea for a tow truck. Be able to fast charge EVs on the road. Just needs an output and cable that can handle the 130KW output genny. And then be able to charge up EVs in a few minutes for enough to get to the next working charge station.

-Don- Reno, NV

Sure it is, it's power winds up there via the electrical coupling of the engine power to the drive wheels, the same way a diesel electric locomotive's prime mover is connected to the locomotive wheels.

You might as well argue that an automatic transmission's torque converter separates the engine from the drivetrain because it's fluid coupling breaks the direct mechanical connection.
That statement is not mine, it came from the article.

Don, the article says it is disconcerting to be sitting at a stop light and the genset engine comes on at full throttle, the driver cannot control when the engine stops/starts. It will come on when the battery reaches 20% charge level.

It will come on when the battery reaches 20% charge level.
Let's see that will work out. It has a 92KWH battery for a range of 141 miles on level ground.

1.53 miles per KWH which is 1.41 miles per % of SOC.

80% SOC used for the genny to come on, or 20% SOC left. 28.2 miles of range left when the genny comes on. After it's been driven 112.8 miles from a full charge.

It's 99.0 miles from this driveway here to the driveway at my Auburn house.

If I only charge to 80% SOC (the norm) the range will then only be 84.6 miles before the genny comes on. But that is for level ground. But I am sure that will make it to Auburn from here without the genny because that is mostly downhill. Since it is a heavy vehicle the regen will be great going downhill, will surely do MUCH better than that 1.53 per KWH. Probably close to twice that, if not a bit more than twice. The extra weight could then be a benefit because of the better regen.

The real problem will be coming back. Then most likely the genny will come on even is starting out with a full charge. That 141 miles will be close to being all used coming back from Auburn. It certainly will not make it back to Reno from Auburn charged to only 80% SOC in Auburn. Unless I drive extra slow, such as getting behind one of those slow 18 wheelers on the hills. So I would expect some genny use coming back.

Still all within reason, IMO.

But, IMO, they should let us have more manual control of some things in EVs. Sometimes I think they make them too idiot proof. I would like to be able to control when the genny comes on, just like I would like to be able to precondition the battery for fast charging without using the navigation system in my Tesla. That way I could preheat it for a fast charge if I need to use CCS instead of Tesla Superchargers.

-Don- Reno, NV

The price on these start at 60K$. The same as I paid for my Tesla in year 2018 (but I then got around 10K$ in tax breaks and CA rebates). But all the inflation since then makes this Ramcharger sound like a good deal.

Anyway, more info. shown here.

If I dump my 1999 2WD Dodge truck, this Ramcharger could be my next vehicle.

IAC, it would be very high on my list to check out. I think I like the idea of this thing better that Tesla's Cybertruck or the Rivian.

OTOH, I really do not have much need for a truck at all. I rarely drive mine. In fact, I don't drive any car all that often when the weather is nice enough to take a motorcycle, unless I am going grocery shopping or something like that.

-Don- Reno, NV

Don did you read the part about sitting at a stoplight? The reviewer said sitting at a stoplight and the generator engine starting up was a bit disconcerting. I can imagine that; a V6 engine starting at full-throttle while you are stopped in traffic___. A change of shorts might be needed.
I too suspect that might be my next pickup, we'll see.

Don did you read the part about sitting at a stoplight?
Yep. It would be one of the things I would want to check out for myself. I imagine it starts up at 3600 RPMs and is 60 hz. Every 60 RPM is one hz increase in frequency.

I don't expect a 130,000 watt genny to be all that quiet.

-Don- Reno, NV

Don did you read the part about sitting at a stoplight? The reviewer said sitting at a stoplight and the generator engine starting up was a bit disconcerting. I can imagine that; a V6 engine starting at full-throttle while you are stopped in traffic___. A change of shorts might be needed.
I too suspect that might be my next pickup, we'll see.
That was in reference to conventional hybrids, not the Ram series hybrid where it's an unknown.

"It will be interesting to see how Stellantis managed to tone down the droning sound of the engine when it needs to replenish the battery. In most, if not all other hybrids, the combustion engine can sometimes start out of the blue and rev up to 3,000 rpm or even higher because it needs to provide electricity to the high-voltage battery. This may happen even when waiting for a traffic light to go green, which is anything but calming."

I could barely hear the V8 in my Ram while it was running. I would guess a V6 with 305 hp probably only needs to run at idle speed to recharge. Likely silent in comparison to little engines running at 3000 rpm recharging small cars.

Back
Top Bottom