210K miles on a 275/300 ISB Diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bander

I'm scouting an 2001 Allegro Bus listed with 210,000 miles and a 275/300 ISB Diesel (Cummins, I presume).  What are your thoughts, opinions, cautions with a high-mileage diesel like this?

Thanks,

Bander
2012 Alpine 3600 RS, Fifth wheel
2006 GMc 2500 Duramax

Not sure that's high mileage for 2001, but yes I understand your caution. 

I'd be interested to read your responses.  I hear keeping records, regular maintenance, specific things to watch on the Cummins, etc are all factors, and probably things I should be focused on now as someday I may be the seller with that mileage on the OD.

I wouldn't be worried about 210K miles on the ISB or an allison transmission.  What's the condition of the rest of the coach?

just remember the house has beat down the highway for 210k . that is a lot of beating on our roads today.

The engine block, pistons, etc. should still be fine if it has had decent maintenance. Commercial grade diesels like that should be good for 500k-1000k miles between major re-builds.  The Allison should still be solid as well.  Everything else on the power train is old and worn, unless it has already been replaced. Water pump, radiator, alternator, starter motor, universal joints, suspension, etc.  I would want to check those out thoroughly. Hopefully there is documentation of regular service and maybe replacement of some of those things.

Likewise the house has seen 16 years of wear & tear as well as bouncing down the highway for 210k miles.  That sort of wear & tear should be discernible to an experenced eye, however. If you don't feel competent to make that judgment, get help from a friend or pro who can.

Back
Top Bottom