220v help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drizzamed

My device is 30amp 220v and I tried using it on the 30amp side of the pedestal and it would power on but non-functional so no bueno. What do I need to plug it into the 50amp side and take advantage of the 2 hots legs so my device will work? I'm confused with adapters because I read that a 50amp to 30amp adapter doesn't have the 2 hots so the 30amp is still only 110v. Is there such a thing?

Brewing beer in an electric kettle. My kettle is 220v. I want to plug it into the 50 amp receptacle but the plug doesn't mate.

I think he wants to plug the kettle into the 50 amp receptacle. Probably needs to go from 50 amp 220v to 30 amp 220v.

First you need answer a couple of questions.

1. Is your RV a 30 amp or 50 amp RV?
2. Are you trying to plug in your RV and then the kettle into the RV?
3. Or just plug the kettle into the pedestal?

Can you post a picture of the plug on the kettle cord?

If you have a 30 amp RV you can't plug it into the 50 amp or you'll burn everything out. You can build a SPECIAL 50 amp plug to 30 amp 220 receptacle pigtail to just plug the kettle into. The main problem with that is if you ever used that pigtail and plugged in your RV you will burn everything up. It would be dangerous just to have that pigtail around a RV. Too big of a chance of plugging in the RV.

You could also just change the plug on the end of the kettle cord to a 50 amp RV plug.

You will need to "Home Brew" an adapter.. Or put a 50 amp plug on the kettle.
What I'd do is get a 2nd power cord for the Kettle and put a 50 amp plug on it.
NOTE building a 50-30 220 volt adapter is DANGEROUS for an RVer for if you use the wrong adapter.
You end up in tribble
The other option would be to re-do the kettle but I'm not sure that's possible.

So my recommendation is an entierly 2nd power cord and replace the plug .

Here's the plug on the kettle NEMA 6-30R plug.jpg (NEMA 6-30 plug)

To clarify:
  • The kettle is 20amp 220v and the plug on it pictured is a NEMA 6-30 plug.
  • I am not piggy backing, bridging, etc with my RV. I am simply wanting to use the 50amp receptacle on the pedestal. The kettle is not or will not be attached to the RV in any way. The only association it will have with the RV is when I keg the beer and it gets placed inside the kegerator that's in the RV and I can pour myself, family and friends a beer off one of the taps.
  • Any adapter, cord I make for the kettle is labeled and stays with the kettle equipment so it doesn't get accidently used in the RV.
  • I really don't want to cut the plug off my kettle. I would really prefer adapting it.
  • I don't want to "redneck" anything.
  • I don't just go get some six packs and call it a day because in this particular case, I'm entering my beer into a beer brewing competition.
Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it!

Unless I'm missing something it seems to me you just need a 50 amp RV plug and a NEMA 6-30 receptacle. Put it in a box. I think 12 ga wire is adequate for 20 amp but 10 might be a better choice.

Unless I'm missing something it seems to me you just need a 50 amp RV plug and a NEMA 6-30 receptacle. Put it in a box. I think 12 ga wire is adequate for 20 amp but 10 might be a better choice.
What do I do with the 4th wire?

As Krazeehorse33 says, all you need to make your own adapter is a NEMA 6-30R (Receptacle) and a NEMA 14-50P (Plug) plus a short length of 10/2 wire. Connect the two hot terminals of the 14-50P to the two hot terminals on the 6-30R and connect the two grounds. The neutral on the 14-50P is not used.

If you can't find a 6-30R packaged as a self-contained receptacle (like for an extension cord), mount one in an outlet box. All the self-contained 6-30's I found online are over $100, but you can put a receptacle in a box for half that.

Do not use the 4th wire (the neutral).

Last edited:
Something like this may be what you are seeking

Adapter
For the $28 it would cost you, do it right and get the adapter from Amazon or some other supply house. And you don't have to be an amateur electrician.
81ymD-F+mEL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom