24 or 26 foot class c?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happycamper99

Hello. We currently have a 22 foot trailer and we are now looking at used C class motorhomes.  We were planning to get a 24' but now that we have been hunting around we see that there are some really nice floorplans for us if we go even just a little longer with 26'.  My concern is being able to get into different parks.  I have heard that sometimes it can be difficult to find sites at national and state parks if your rv is over 24'.  Wondering if anyone has any thoughts, insights, and experiences they can share in regard to this.  We want to make the right decision on what we buy.  Thank you!  :)

My guess is that you will want at least 26 ft to have as much usable space as your 22 ft trailer. The cab area of a "C" isn't very usable when parked.

Your 22 ft trailer is probably 26-27 feet long (overall) anyway, so the larger C will easily fit on the same sites you now use. Maybe easier, since is maneuvers into sites neatly.

If your worried about two feet, then you really have NO worries.>>>Dan (Now add a towed four down and still not worry)

Since adding a motorcycle/cargo rack to the back of my 24' Winnebago I haven't had any problems with getting into camp spaces. With the bike on it adds about 3' without the bike it's about 2' extra.

All the places I've been, I've never seen a campsite that was exactly 24' and not an inch more.

I stay almost entirely in state and national parks, and I have a 32' Class C.  There may be some really older campgrounds that are small, but those are rare.

There may be fewer sites for much larger (over 35') rigs, but there is really no difference between 24 and 26.  I have stayed in all of the big national parks, and found no limitations, other than Grand Canyon makes you go to Trailer Village with hookups instead of the no-hookup Mather campground if your rig is over 30 feet.

Go for the larger one and be happy!  The rigs that are over 30 feet are the ones you have to pay attention to when it comes to length restrictions.  For example some parks, etc in Oregon restrict you to under 30 feet. But what you are looking at you won't have any problems. So get the floorplan etc that you love and go for it ;D

We just bought our 32ft class C, all the "old timers" around here that I asked for advice that have been RVing for years all recommended "buy as big as you can afford" the more space you have for your family and yourself the better off you will be.

Thank you!! Your responses have helped me so much! Knowing this really opens up more possibilities for us. We will be happier and more comfortable in something bigger. There are four of us and a very large slobbery dog! :)

We had a 22' Class C...for one year. It wasn't terrible for just me and the wife...but throw in the grandkids and it was overcrowded. Add to that that I'm a pretty big guy and there wasn't enough room for me to sleep on any of the dedicated "sleeping areas," and it had to go.
We upgraded to a 30' Class A...and while the short queen bed still isn't long enough for me, (I hang over almost to my knees) :p, it's still a TON better than the Class C.
Get as large of a coach as you (a) can afford, (b) feel comfortable driving, (there's always a learning curve, so don't let the apparent width of the Class A throw you...it's really only about as wide as your travel trailer was) and (c) as big as you have a place to park.

Go drive a 30 ft class A before you buy. Then look at all that storage you won't have with a C class. Drive both types of coachs at freeway speed for 1/2 hour or so if you can. Check those C class coachs for leakage above the cab carefully, especially if they have a front window.

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan!  You won't notice the difference in driving that two feet.  When we moved up from a 22' to a 30' we seriously wondered if we wanted to haul that rear bedroom down the road.  It was heaven!  No more climbing up a ladder to go to bed and no more climbing over someone else at night.  A walk-around bed was so much easier to make!  That extra two feet also can make a difference in livability and especially storage.  We debated between a 38' and a 40' and the bathroom in the 38 just didn't have enough elbow room (as in cracking my elbow on the shower wall when brushing my hair).  Before making your decision, be sure to try everything for fit (bed, toilet, sofa bed) and imagine where you'll store everything.  If you like to bake make sure a bake pan will fit in the oven and that there is large enough storage for it.  Have fun making your choice!

ArdraF

We traded our 26 ft. C Class for a 26 ft. Class A...On the surface you would assume that there would not be much of a change. Our Winnebago 26HE Vista H.E.(actually measures 26ft.11ins)  has a separate  bedroom with closets and overheads which was the main attraction for the switch...however, we gained SO much storage space both inside and out..... Our pet has her own space on the huge dash cover..Yes I know... and all the interior frontage area is totally usable utilizing the swivel / reclining  driver / passenger seating which all amounts to a much more efficient living arrangement. All the discussion has excellent points of view so do your homework, decide which will work for your needs and happy camping.. 8)

I agree with the others, go bigger, especially 2 feet you will be happy you did. Personally, I would be looking at something quite a bit larger and class A. Check them out before you settle on a 26 foot C.

Since we are talking about class A vs C let me add a couple of things I have noticed. I first started with an 07 26 foot Itasca Cambria Class C or B+ depending on who is talking. My understanding is it is a class B+ vs a C if there is no overhead bed area but rather an entertainment area.  Due to some major issues, I just traded it for a Class A Vista LX 27N. The difference between the two is the class A is about 2 feet longer, a foot wider and 2 feet taller. The handling was important to me as I am by myself and wanted to have something that I could maneuver  fairly easy by myself including parking/backing up etc.  I have found that the driving of the two are very similar, the class A seems bigger because there is more room and space in the cockpit area and it looks massive but the handling is very similar and it doesn't take up that much more room. You do have to pay attention to the swing in the rear.  I was nervous the first time I drove it home but by the time I got home and the next time out it was real comfortable driving.  Now as for the rest, there is a night and day difference on the inside and out when it comes to storage, roominess etc etc. While I liked the class C/B, I love the class A and am real happy with going with an A rather than another C.

Thank you again, everyone!  We like A classes very much and used to borrow my in-laws' from time to time.  An A class is not the right choice for us though because we would like to have two beds that don't need to be switched into a couch or a table each night. So we are looking for a rear bed plus the cabover.

In a Class C, you're going to also have two beds (sofa and dinette) that have to be changed over daily...and either an over-cab bunk or a rear bedroom. (or both in some larger models)
A class A should have a rear bedroom and the dinette/sofa...and even some bunkhouse models with dedicated bunkbeds. (obviously those will be in larger models)

A large class C "28-32 feet" will give you miracles, just like a private rear bedroom and lots of living space; the negative side is that you won't get as much outside storage as in a class A.

happycamper99 said:
Thank you again, everyone!  We like A classes very much and used to borrow my in-laws' from time to time.  An A class is not the right choice for us though because we would like to have two beds that don't need to be switched into a couch or a table each night. So we are looking for a rear bed plus the cabover.

A couple of the stubby Class As (under 30')  have drop down beds over the cab area.  THOR (A.C.E), Winnebago (Brave, Tribute), and Holiday Rambler (Admiral and Trek) come to mind.

We went from a 22 foot class C to a 26 foot class A and have not found anyplace it won't fit, well except the parking spots in wal-mart. we have to take 2 now. and there is one very old national park campground here that the spots are not always level and one was only 25 feet of level space. front wheels were right on the edge of a very large slope.

I kind of miss the overhead bunk for loading a bunch of stuff into during the day but now I get a bedroom :)

Floor plan really is one of the most important things.

1275gtsport said:
I kind of miss the overhead bunk for loading a bunch of stuff into during the day but now I get a bedroom :)
A small to medium dome tent is great for extra stuff. That's what I used to use, worked great.
                                                            J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxL
Back
Top Bottom