2500 vs 3500 for close to full timing truck camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Tee_

Hello, everyone.

I'm new to truck camping and currently shopping for a truck and camper.
I've been torn between shopping for a 2500 or 3500 truck. I might be looking to tow a small honda fit (about 2,600lbs) behind the truck as well with the camper loaded on the truck at the same time.
There's a lot more 2500s on the market, but it seems like a 3500 would give the most peace of mind to ensure I don't exeed the payload/tow capacity.

Any additional advice, thoughts, considerations are appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Tee

Welcome to the Forum. Truck campers weight a lot. Depending on the weight of the camper and the cargo/payload capacity of the 3500, even a single wheel one ton may not be enough. You may need a dual wheel 3500. Give us the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW); NOT unloaded weight (UVW), of the camper and we can give you advice. However, note that each 3500 has a different cargo capacity depending on the options on the truck.

You need to shop for the camper that suits your needs and then buy a truck that can carry it. A camper nicely equipped for fulltime use is going to be heavy, so odds are a 3/4 ton (2500) isn't going to cut it. Nor will some 1-ton configurations. If you buy the truck first, get the biggest GVWR & CCC that you can.

You need to shop for the camper that suits your needs and then buy a truck that can carry it. A camper nicely equipped for fulltime use is going to be heavy, so odds are a 3/4 ton (2500) isn't going to cut it. Nor will some 1-ton configurations. If you buy the truck first, get the biggest GVWR & CCC that you can.
^^^ That ^^^

Thank you all so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.

I've been intimidated about duallys because of the extra maintenance with 6 wheels instead of 4. Thoughts on this? Personal experience maintaining duallys?
Is it much more work/cost than single rear wheels?

Thank you all again & Hope you have a great week,

Tee

Duallys will increase your tire replacement cost by an extra third (6 tires vs 4), can reduce your traction when lightly loaded on a wet or slippery road (less weight on the ground per tire). And they can be a hassle to fit in a parking space because those 2 extra tires stick out further. Other than that there isn't much difference between having 2 or 4 rear tires.

Excellent post and spot on. Go find the camper 1st. With the possibility of towing, you will want a diesel engine. The dual rear wheels will help with sway going down the road. Have owned a few dually trucks in the past. Yes, extra cost for 2 more tires to replace. I wanted a dually when I upgraded from a 3/4 ton but since I pull a 5th wheel, decided the extra cost wasn’t needed. Would suggest you compare 3500, 4500 and 5500 trucks to see the difference in capacity. My guess, minimum 4500 for your needs. I used to own a truck camper many years ago. Personally, would never do it again.

3500 dully, MINIMUM. You actually could need more for some of the large Host, Eagle Cap (and other brands) campers.

Don't let this happen to you.

Ram-Snapped-1-1-1024x576.webp

While I like truck campers, I question the desire for extremely large ones with two and three slideouts. Just get a 4x4 conversion on a class C, you will be better off. Off road, duals have the issue of rocks getting caught between the dual wheels, which is why many truck campers are on SRW trucks or are running super singles.

Charles

“Too much truck is almost enough” I’ve heard. Also, you specified truck camper; but have you considered any other options? There’s pros/cons to all options.
Travel Trailers can be towed by pu’s you’re considering
5th wheels can too… especially if you go with the right 350(0)
Motorized RVs can pull a car along

Also, be aware that some RV parks will not let you remove your camper from the truck and leave it in your spot while you take the truck out sightseeing. Do some calling around to check the places you might want to stay at.
I have never even heard of anyone doing that.

I have never even heard of anyone doing that.
And some nicer RV parks will not even allow truck campers at all. But yes, it is common for the truck camper to stay on the truck, The campgrounds are afraid of getting one abandon and no way to move it. This is all in reference to private campgrounds. Would be unusual for a public campground to not allow them to be removed.

Charles

Unless you intend to use the truck for other needs without the camper,,,, a class "C" would be less total money and give you more cargo loading ability as well.. You would also benefit with a shower and larger kitchen/ ease of entry and exit..>>>Dan

Also, be aware that some RV parks will not let you remove your camper from the truck and leave it in your spot while you take the truck out sightseeing. Do some calling around to check the places you might want to stay at.
I've never heard of that, but then I've never had a truck camper. That restriction is as logical as saying that you can't unhitch your TT

My travel buddy and his wife had a RAM 3500 dually and a Lance truck camper when I first met him at work. They had a decent sized boat and he would take the whole rig to (usually) the Pensacola FL area to fish. He would unhitch the boat, offload the camper (Ft Pickens or Big Lagoon) and then take the boat to a ramp and launch it. He did this a couple of times a year. He almost always offloaded the camper when camping. They finally sold the boat, the Lance, and got an Avion, later a Winnebago Micro Minnie, and now a 22ft or so trailer.

I don't think offloading a slide in camper is uncommon, unless you are lazy or nervous about the outcome. 😄

Charles

I've never heard of that, but then I've never had a truck camper. That restriction is as logical as saying that you can't unhitch your TT
Amen on the logic, but a truck camper on stilts is a lot more awkward-looking than a detached trailer. One might even say ugly (if you weren't a TC owner). In the more upscale parks it's probably more a matter of aesthetics rather than logic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom