2500 vs 3500 for close to full timing truck camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last park I was in only let one TC get unloaded. It was on a Stabile Lift jacking system. It was the first time I had ever seen one. About 6 years later, my daughter decided she wanted a truck camper so she could spend the night in the parking lot of her store on those times when she worked a shift where she got off at Midnight and was scheduled to be back at work at 9AM. We don't live in town. It's a bit of a drive.

The truck she ended up with is a 2500 long bed. Her old Lance is a 185S on a Stabile Lift. The Stabil Lift is worth more than what she paid for the camper. I think she should have gotten a 3500. But given that she bought it just as the Covid prices were kicking in, I think she did okay. The truck handles the camper "okay". But I think a 3500 would do better. And there is no way that her truck can carry her camper PLUS pull my little Jeep (5500lb) on an extended hitch. But then we also rarely take the camper off the truck. We use it when grocery shopping and taking the dog to the local puppy park. Our frozen food makes it home and is still frozen (especially ice cream). And the puppy park, like most places in town, doesn't have a bathroom handy. We've also had to hose mud off the dog several times.

My rule of thumb is take what "they" say you need for a camper and then step it up to the next size. Lance actually SAYS what size truck they recommend for each TC model. It's a good starting place. You'll be able to look at several floor plans and see what size truck they think is needed. Lance Truck Campers | Lance Camper

Most people don't complain that they bought "too much truck". And if you are going to tow a vehicle, then you need a little more than what is recommended just for carrying the camper

I've owned three different size TC some years back.
#1 was a 1480 lb loaded 8" TC on a 1500 chevy.

#2 upgraded to a 2240lb 9' 6" TC on a 2500 GMC.

#3 last one was a 10' 6 ' 3880 lb TC on one of my 3500 Drw trucks.
Point is a TC's todays can weigh from lets say 1800 lbs up to well over 5000+ lbs.

A TC sits ine the trucks bed so having a big RAWR number is more important than a a big payload sticker number that can and has over loaded some TC owners truck rawr.

250/2500 LDTs can rawr ranging from 6000 up to 6600 lbs depending on brands and year models. Thats good for approx 2800-3400 lb sitting in the bed.

350/3500srw LDT can have rawrs ranging from 6340 -7250 lbs depending on brands and year model. Around 3700-3800 lbs is about the most these trucks can carry in the bed (on the rear axle).

350/3500 drw LDT rawrs run in the 9750 -10500 lbs with up to 6800-7000 lb payload in the bed.

Don't bit into a 4xxx lb payload sticker number for any 350/3500 srw trucks. That much in the bed as in a TC will be a overloaded rawr (tires/wheels rear suspension).

AS others mention decide on your dream TC size then figure its wet gross (TC plus a towed hitch weight) will be. Then decide on which truck has the rawr to carry your load.

We had a truck camper for several years. It was obsulutely great for our young family at that time in our lifes. Kids love them. My young son at the time loved crawling up in the overhang queen bed. it got us in back country areas for great trout fishing and in gorgous primitive campgrounds with all the comforts of home. The truck was a 3/4 ton 4x4 and the camper was of modest size...no crazy huge thing with multiple slide outs offered these day...fit well within the payload limits of the truck. Perfect for what we used it for as a young family. I would have never removed the camper at a camp site to go sight seeing. First, the package (truck with camper) drove great down the road so why do this. Second, I would be afraid it would be gone or vandalized when we got back from sightseeing. It was rather tight inside but we used it mostly for short trips. If we did go on a long trip, we could occasionally get a motel/hotel room or visit friends/relatives on our travels, which was another fun experience for everyone especially my son.

When I was in Junior College going to Airplane Mechanic school (like 1978) I lived in a cab over camper on a Datsun pick up. I lived at the glider airport I worked at and commuted to school. About 50-60 miles.

A few years ago I bought a pretty old slide in for $100. It was in restorable shape until I started opening up some water damage from a crunch in the front left. I scrapped that.

I recently contemplated getting a slide in. My prior experience cautioned me away from old slide ins. But I found anything new-ish is elaborate and is really heavy.

Long story short, I wouldn't consider a slide in on anything less than a 250/2500 class and would much prefer a 350/3500. Then by the time you have invested in a hauling vehicle and then a new-ish slide in you are fast approaching Class A money.

I think they really work for hunters and people that are solo or couple that have the truck/need the truck for backs-woodish type stuff and have a need to also tow a toy like a UHV or a boat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom