3/4 ton payload question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elkhounds said:
Hey Steve the 2016 Super Duty will be the same as the 2015.  The 2017 will be aluminum body so the payload will go up more like it did on the F-150.  From what I have heard the 2016 model year could be a short run.  Just wanted to let you know.  This came from someone within Ford who knows a few things.

thank you, thats good to know, im a chevy guy but a close 2nd ford guy lol and the new F150 is a game changer for sure im looking forward to the new F350

Thanks for the replies.... it's actually more difficult to find a tow vehicle than it is a fiver, for me at least.

Steve

not really post the 5er you want and we will match is up no problem just leave us your credit card and we will look after everything for you

cheers  :eek:

OMG are we married.... sounds like the wife, hand me your credit card, and I do ;D

I figured I would be in the 1800 lb pin weight, need to put the dish in the bed, load the dog and the wife puts us about 2600 lb on the safe side. *I* would like to stay about a 80% load so this means I need a cargo capacity of about 3250 lbs.

Here is my dilemma, I want a full four door, 4 wheel drive,diesel, SRW truck and I'm having a hard time finding this with 3250lb payload.

Thx,
Steve

I've tried hard to stay away from GM products but I will look at one Monday.

Steve

In all honesty the lines between manufactures becomes more blurred every day with electronics from china/Taiwan motors from Mexico paint from Japan or Germany etc  Assembled who know where lol they are all Ford Chev or Dodge very comparable it boils down to personal preference I'm a Chev guy cause i like the ride and my friend owns the dealership so i get great deals. I like fords because of the interiors and aux switches but hate the solid front end -i like dodge because of the Cummins and interiors and styling but hate the electronics and front ends but really they are excuses and nit picking they are all great trucks 

I think your ratings are incorrect. The payload of a 2500 ram is 3000lbs

See here:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/lineup/?app=bmo&sid=1037056&KWNM=ram+trucks&KWID=6076545676&TR=1&channel=paidsearch

OOOOOOPS, I was incorrect. Payload is just under 2500.

I highly suggest you look at a owners manual for cargo numbers. Then go scale the truck out with all your stuff in it. Then you find the numbers are going to be lower yet.

Everyone is alway so impress with sticker ratings of capacities of all the different brand trucks. But that sad part is that sticker number is based on a totally empty truck with a 150 pound driver and that's it.

Payload in the newer 2500 Rams is lower because of the rear coil spring. I learned that at the Ram dealer.

Buddy110 said:
I think your ratings are incorrect. The payload of a 2500 ram is 3000lbs

See here:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/lineup/?app=bmo&sid=1037056&KWNM=ram+trucks&KWID=6076545676&TR=1&channel=paidsearch

OOOOOOPS, I was incorrect. Payload is just under 2500.

I know what your saying but I'm telling you the actual sticker was way under that. Not even close.

Steve

steveblonde said:
A. 2010 or newer chev 3/4 ton or 1ton will work np cost diff is about $300 read my post above
Cheers

Looked at two 2500hd today, both 6.6 diesel, both crew cab regular bed, both 4x4, Z71, only difference was 18 vs. 20 inch wheels. The payload sticker was a few pound better on the 18" version and was 2468lbs.

I did see one 3500 with a 8 foot bed at just over 3700lbs.

Steve

steveblonde said:
In all honesty the lines between manufactures becomes more blurred every day with electronics from china/Taiwan motors from Mexico paint from Japan or Germany etc  Assembled who know where lol they are all Ford Chev or Dodge very comparable it boils down to personal preference I'm a Chev guy cause i like the ride and my friend owns the dealership so i get great deals. I like fords because of the interiors and aux switches but hate the solid front end -i like dodge because of the Cummins and interiors and styling but hate the electronics and front ends but really they are excuses and nit picking they are all great trucks

Only reason I said that was my Tahoe was a real lemon. I'm sure one in a million but I can still taste it.

Steve

sorry your Tahoe was a Lemon we have all done that lol there are a lot of used 1tons on the market here right now and with the US dollar as strong as it is a number of americans are buying here - if you want one used i know lots of people here that can help you out ( i am in the aftermarket auto business trailer hitches covers wheels tires etc. so all my friends work at dealerships) just let me know

Here are the facts of two that I've seen, now if the labels are wrong that's another story. I assume they are correct per that vehicle. Both were crew cab, 4x4, very well loaded with standard length bed, both diesel. Have to say the Ram was very disappointing by the numbers, only 60lbs more than my 2012 F150.

Funny, I'm not looking for a red truck but everything I look at with the options I want are all red.

Steve

Attachments

• Ram_logo.jpg
    Ram_logo.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Ram_loading.jpg
    Ram_loading.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 28
  • F250_logo.jpg
    F250_logo.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 16
  • F250_loading.jpg
    F250_loading.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 30
At long as this thread is discussing size of vehicles, I have a question regarding SRW or a duly.  I am considering purchasing a 2016 Forest River, Heritage Glen model 337 BAR (39' 7" length) with a hitch weight of 1,990 lbs.  I will also be purchasing a new truck and it will most likely be a new Dodge Ram 1 ton.  My question is with a trailer this size and a 1 ton truck, it is better to have a SRW or a duly?  Does the duly offer any additional stability or any other benefits?  Steveblonde has already been gracious to email me some information offline about removable hitches and have his opinion on my truck question which I really appreciate.  Thank you in advance for your input.

the dually does give more stabilty but not as much as they used too in that all three Dodge, Ford, and Chevy all come with active trailer management systems that sense the trailer is swaying and automatically apply the brake on the opposite side to stop the sway. Back in the olden days lol a dually was needed for the stabilty and the payload today not so much, but some old school people still like them. I used to have a 2008 dually and its way too much truck for what i currently need and it was a pig on fuel and a bear in the winter. But it was a hoot to drive and would pull a city block lol

We have been told at several RV stores we are fine, a 3/4 ton will tow almost anything in the size you're looking at. I also see them up and down the interstate.... what I'm I missing?

Thx,
Steve
  What your missing is trucks out here on the road from a legal standpoint don't carry weight determined by the vehicles GVWR nor a number on the tire placard. DOT isn't concerned with either number for determining a overloaded vehicle.

This is where RAWR/tire load rating come to play.
The tire placard became mandatory in the mid '00s era so many older trucks may not have one.
Which brings up the question what did a truck owner use to determine how much load the truck could carry before the tire placard.  Then.... just as now we used the trucks GAWRs and RAWR in particular as it will carry 99 percent if not all of a trailers hitch weight.
Example;
my 2500 Dodge/Cummins has a 6000 RAWR and weighs 2920 lbs with the 5th wheel hitch which leaves my truck with a 3080 lb payload.

Check out GM online ordering guide which has a weights calculator that figures how much each trucks GAWR and gross weights with selected options...... http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/

My reply above is simply to answer the OP question on what he is missing.

longhaul said:
  What your missing is trucks out here on the road from a legal standpoint don't carry weight determined by the vehicles GVWR nor a number on the tire placard. DOT isn't concerned with either number for determining a overloaded vehicle.

This is where RAWR/tire load rating come to play.
The tire placard became mandatory in the mid '00s era so many older trucks may not have one.
Which brings up the question what did a truck owner use to determine how much load the truck could carry before the tire placard.  Then.... just as now we used the trucks GAWRs and RAWR in particular as it will carry 99 percent if not all of a trailers hitch weight.
Example;
my 2500 Dodge/Cummins has a 6000 RAWR and weighs 2920 lbs with the 5th wheel hitch which leaves my truck with a 3080 lb payload.

Check out GM online ordering guide which has a weights calculator that figures how much each trucks GAWR and gross weights with selected options...... http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/

My reply above is simply to answer the OP question on what he is missing.

Thank you! This link may be what I'm looking for.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom