3 M Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVTom75

Fellow RVers,  anyone out their know how to remove film from the front of motorhome? It's on a 2002 Monaco.

If someone finds an easy solution please let us all know.

I will be diving into this myself probably later this fall or maybe next spring.  Of all the threads I've read on this issue, the one thing that seems to work best (it is not easy in any case) is to use a steamer.  One fellow on IRV2 used a steamer he got from Walmart along with plastic putty knives/scrapers.  Once the film is removed, a solvent is used to remove the adhesive.  Some folks say 'Goof Off' but this fellow used an adhesive remover recommended by an auto parts store which worked for him.  I have a friend who operates a collision repair shop and plan to get his advice on which adhesive remover will work best. 

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/how-to-remove-3m-rv-film-easily-175876.html#post1721515

I had a lot of 3M film to remove for my motorhome to pass Maryland inspection.  The RV shop estimated $300 to remove it.  I went to Good Will and got a great steamer for $15, worked like a charm.  Peeled right off adhesive and all, very easy and quick.

Hope that helps,
Cheryl

I think I must be wrong on what you were asking about.  I thought it was about window tinting, sorry :-[

There is no easy solution to this problem but I just finished doing this myself. I started 18 months ago and worked on it 2-4 hours at atime and finished it up on tuesday after about 60 actual hours invested. I used plastic razor blades to remove the vinyl and the used plastic razor blades and Vinyl Off to remove the glue. This was the most time consuming part. I then hit it with my Dri wash waterless wash and wax and a terry cloth rag to remove the last remnents. Sometimes the plastic blade can be used after the dri wash to assist in getting last bit off. I tried the steamer and the heat gun and either allowed me to take the vinyl and adhesive off together. Probably because mine had so many crackes in it and I had mold growing under it.

mike and pat said:
There is no easy solution to this problem but I just finished doing this myself. I started 18 months ago and worked on it 2-4 hours at atime and finished it up on tuesday after about 60 actual hours invested. I used plastic razor blades to remove the vinyl and the used plastic razor blades and Vinyl Off to remove the glue. This was the most time consuming part. I then hit it with my Dri wash waterless wash and wax and a terry cloth rag to remove the last remnents. Sometimes the plastic blade can be used after the dri wash to assist in getting last bit off. I tried the steamer and the heat gun and either allowed me to take the vinyl and adhesive off together. Probably because mine had so many crackes in it and I had mold growing under it.

Never heard of plastic razor blades.  Where do you get them? 

In the March 2011 discussion called "3M film removel we are having fun NOW!!" I replied (reply #10)

We were at a rally and talked with a fellow who puts 3M film on for a living.  He told us the best way to remove it is on a warm day in the sun and use something like a hair dryer to soften it.  Then you very slowly and carefully pull it off.  He didn't recommend using anything else on it.

ArdraF

Well, been there done that.
Was told the only way to remove rock guard and glue was scrap, scrap and scrap some more. I also got some plastic razor blades from a local graphics shop. Goof Off and Zylene took the glue off. It looked like hammered.....well, you know.

The shop that I am getting it painted at showed me their way of using a body eraser and drill and plastic and glue comes off at the same time. Bottom line, they would have removed and painted for the same price as they are just painting because their way would not have buggered up thing like scraping did.

Good luck !!!! took me about 18 hr to remove.

Plastic razor blades are available in many auto parts stores, hobby shops, woodworker supply stores, Amazon or Ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Hardline-Products-Scraperite-Orange-Plastic/dp/B0022ZI0JY

I just had 3M installed on all my windows in my truck in Lakeland FL. I asked the guy what was the best way to remove the film. He said to take a plastic bag and wet one side of it. Put it on the outside of the window and trim around it to get it the same pattern as the window. Then wet the in side of the window where the film is. Wet the plastic again and then take it and stick it on the inside of the glass covering the film. Let it set for 1 hour in the sun. It should all peel off now including all the adhesive.  The object is to make the glass and plastic sweat as much as possible which loosens up the adhesive.  Let us know how it works.

Thanks Rene, the film is not on the windows, it is on the front of the rv.

I would still try the wet plastic bag trick. You've got nothing to loose and everything to gain. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom