30 amp coach - 50 amp site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
Yes you would but you should not need it. Most all 50 amp sites also have a 30 amp outlet.

Hello SeilerBird,

The RV park we have in mind has some sites with only 50 amp service.  Those sites are the best in terms of ease of parking, surface texture (grass instead of gravel or mud if it's raining), location, space, etc.  The park itself is not a great place, but it's the only one within 30 miles of where our son lives, and we want to stay there again in the future.  We've been there twice now and realize that the 50 amp only sites are superior for $5 more a day.

So we thought if we added the adaptor to our accessories, we could park in the nicer 50 amp sites with our 30 amp coach!  ;)

Thanks for the reply!

SeilerBird said:
Yes you can use a 30 amp adaptor on a 50 amp site. You still only get 30 amps but that is all you need.

Thanks so much for helping clarify this!  I'm going to order this little gadget so we will be prepared for our next trip!

Appreciate you assistance!  :)

They sell those at Walmart.  I carry adapters to get me down to a regular 115 volt house plug if needed. 

You can never have too many electrical or sewer adapters.

I have seen some strange RV park setups that make you shake your head and wonder who in the heck designed it. Obviously not an RVer.

Arch Hoagland said:
They sell those at Walmart.  I carry adapters to get me down to a regular 115 volt house plug if needed. 

You can never have too many electrical or sewer adapters.

I have seen some strange RV park setups that make you shake your head and wonder who in the heck designed it. Obviously not an RVer.

Good idea to carry several types of adapters!  We have some different ones for our sewer and for cable TV.  Now we'll add the electrical ones as well.  I know what you mean about some rv parks and their setups!  :eek:

SeilerBird said:
Yes you would but you should not need it. Most all 50 amp sites also have a 30 amp outlet.

I've camped at some 50 amp only sites.

Not sure why the park refused to splurge for the 30 amp outlet also, but I've run into same problem, gotta have that 50 amp adapter so you can park where ever and have electric.

I have actually used my adapter just like it several times at sites with both 30A and 50A. 
I find that the 30A outlets are very often used much more and so they get tired and loose

blw2 said:
I have actually used my adapter just like it several times at sites with both 30A and 50A. 
I find that the 30A outlets are very often used much more and so they get tired and loose

Yeah, this ^^^^^^

Always nice to be able to plug into the best looking and fitting outlet.

In some parks the 30A outlet and associated breaker really takes a beating.  Frequent plug/unplugs, often under load, weather, critter nests on terminals, etc.

blw2 said:

The reason is plain and simple, there are many more older RV's on the road then larger and newer ones and the old ones had only a 30 AMPS cord.

MOHOMER729 said:
CAUTION!!!!
Be aware that you are actually hooked to a 50 amp breaker and therefore your 30 amp equipment does not have adequate protection.
Yes it does have adequate protection. All the equipment in the RV must pass through the sub panel located in the RV which is protected by a 30 amp breaker.

The 50 amp breaker will protect the shore line in the event of a short circuit between the pedestal and camper. The 30 amp breaker inside the camper provides overload protection. You're very protected!

MOHOMER729 said:
CAUTION!!!!
Be aware that you are actually hooked to a 50 amp breaker and therefore your 30 amp equipment does not have adequate protection.

Please take the time to explain.  :eek: ::)

But the RV will never reach a 50 amp draw, the next breaker in line is a 30 amp one. If the cable or the adapter itself shorts out before reaching the trailer, that could become a potential problem but it should blow the 50 amp pedestal breaker quickly enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trooper#1
Back
Top Bottom