30 amp or 50 amp?? Can Anyone tell me, Please..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsilvestrone

Hi everyone, Happy New Year,
  Quick question :
  2006 Alfa class A diesel
In back rear panel is switch that has option for 30amp or 50amp.

Depending what you have at RV park.
What do i put it on when dry camping
With generator running to charge batteries?Put switch to 30 amp or 50 amp?
  Thank you for all replies...  :  )

Generator put it on 50  You may have a label on your generator that says 50 in fact. but generator put it on 50.

Both Air Conditioners should work on 50. on 30 only one works.  Though they may take turns.

Thank you, John..
  Do you think the batteries charge
quicker when 50 amp is selected as
Opposed to 30 amp selected?

rsilvestrone said:
  Do you think the batteries charge
quicker when 50 amp is selected as
Opposed to 30 amp selected?

No, charge rate will be the same. The 50 amp selection deals primarily (or exclusively) with the second air conditioner

The Surge Gaurd is only for shore power, the generator goes direct to the transfer switch. The switch is located behind the C/B panel and under the fridge. 50 Amp shore is needed to run both stage 1 and stage 2 heat pumps.

rsilvestrone said:
Hi everyone, Happy New Year,
  Quick question :
  2006 Alfa class A diesel
In back rear panel is switch that has option for 30amp or 50amp.

Depending what you have at RV park.
What do i put it on when dry camping
With generator running to charge batteries?Put switch to 30 amp or 50 amp?
  Thank you for all replies...  :  )

The label on that switch is a complete misnomer.  It has nothing to do with the coach's power, and it's not a surge guard.

The switch relates only to the basement air system.  There are two compressors for the air conditioner/heat pump.  All that switch does is allow or not allow power to go to the second compressor.

If the switch is set to 50 amps, both compressors will run.  If it's set to 30 amps, only the first compressor will run, and the second compressor will not run because it won't have any power going to it.  None of this changes whether you're on 30-amp shore power, 50-amp shore power, or using the generator.

I think Trivet has hit the nail on the head, at least as far as the 30A/50A switch in an Alfa Leisure coach. Other brands may be different, but that's not relevant here.

The 2006 Alfa brochure may be helpful to rsilvestrone:
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2006_Alfa_See%20Ya.pdf
I see an "Operation & Service" manual for sale as well - might be valuable.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/635706793/alfa-rv-motorhome-service-manual-320pg

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I see an "Operation & Service" manual for sale as well - might be valuable.

That's not a service manual.  It looks like it's the owner's manual, plus some manuals for various appliances, all put on a CD.

Alfa owner's manuals are notoriously inaccurate.  For example, mine doesn't even mention the switch the OP asked about, and which I definitely do have on my coach.  The manual says, "If your motor home is connected to 30-amp service, only one compressor will operate and you must turn off the A/C 2 circuit breaker in the main electrical distribution panel."

The reality is that two compressors WILL operate when the motorhome is connected to 30-amp service UNLESS you turn off the A/C 2 breaker, or set the 30/50 amp switch the OP asked about to 30 amps (the one that's not mentioned in the manual and is labeled in a way that nobody would ever figure it out).

Back
Top Bottom