30 amp shore power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonef

Ok guys,

I'm soooo sorry to ask this but i still cant wrap my head around shore power and genset. So my MH has a 3 prong 30 amp cord designed to work in RV camp sites. I get that. What do people do when they are at home? I have been using a adaptor to a standard 15amp plug. Could this cause the MH to have electrical issues? For example only half the MH electrcal outlets work when plugged into shore 15amp adaptor. When the generator runs everything works!

Thanks guys I owe you all!!!'

E

You have a very odd problem. A 30 amp plug for a RV is a single circuit. There is no reason why, that I can think of, your rig should not work with the correct adapter. Did you purchase this RV new? Could a previous owner have changed out the 50 amp for a 30 amp for some un-known reason? Does your 30 amp cable disconnect from the rig and if so can you take a picture of it, the connector on the rig.

Jay T

What else doesn't work on shore power?  30A is a single phase system so all circuits are powered from the same hot and neutral.  Do you have a transfer switch or do you manually plug the power cord into a generator outlet?

Is it possible that maybe you tried the generator first and everything worked, THEN plugged into shore power and only part of your outlets worked? If so, check your GFCI outlet(s) on your MH and see if they were tripped when you plugged in to shore power. If it tripped the reset button on the GFCI outlet, everything downstream would also be affected.

Agree with the others - there is no way that a standard 30A shore cord could not power all the outlets in the coach. Would have to be a different problem, e.g. a GFCI tripped or a breaker tripped. But either would affect both generator and shore power.

To answer the first question, there is no ill-effect from plugging into a 15A or 20A outlet. You just get less power, meaning you cannot run as many appliances concurrently.

Jay T - I go the RV from my dad who made NO mods to it. The 30amp does not disconnect.

Ned- It's weird, when the genset is running everything works correctly. When the 30amp shore power is connected only the left side of the RV runs correclty. There are no GFI on left side. The plugs on the right side have 2 GFI outlets and the Microwave and Refrig. doent work. Both of those plugs read 120. I have a transfer box.

Thanks guys. This issue is so wierd.

I'm guessing you are missing a common return wire connection (white).  When connected to the generator, I think earth ground and common are connected together so it gets a return through earth ground.  When plugged into a good 30 amp circuit, the same thing happens.  But, if your 15 amp circuit does not have earth ground there would be no return path for the circuit(s) that have an open common.

I told you it was a guess, but I think you need to check out the white wire connections for the circuit(s) that don't work.  And, while you are at it, check out the earth ground (3rd wire - bare or green) on your 15 amp outlet.

I think he wants to know what damage can happen to electrical appliances, etc. if you are pluged into only a 15 amp plug, such as at home. Or when on the road and you stop and visit family and want to plug into their home 15 amp circut.

Scott

Scott-0168 said:
I think he wants to know what damage can happen to electrical appliances, etc. if you are pluged into only a 15 amp plug, such as at home. Or when on the road and you stop and visit family and want to plug into their home 15 amp circut.

Scott

Asked and answered.  See above replies .....................

The question NOW being addressed is the comment about onlu half of the circuits operating on shore power when ALL will operate from the generator.  Molakers' suggestion of two coincidental failures sounds very feasible.

An open neutral (in the failing circuits) would not normally manifest it self without a problem in the source neutral/ground bonding.

A simple three-light circuit tester would expose any bonding problem, and would also show any open neutral in the subject circuits.

To the OP...  Go to HD or Lowe's and get the circuit tester...

Gary RV Roamer said:
Agree with the others - there is no way that a standard 30A shore cord could not power all the outlets in the coach. Would have to be a different problem, e.g. a GFCI tripped or a breaker tripped. But either would affect both generator and shore power.

To answer the first question, there is no ill-effect from plugging into a 15A or 20A outlet. You just get less power, meaning you cannot run as many appliances concurrently.

Sorry for the hi-jack Gary, being new to the Motor Home world myself, I was wondering if you can cause damage to a high voltage appliance such as the AC or is there a safe guard built in somewhere?

Scott

As Gary says there should be no ill effect.  However, if you are running on a 15 AMP outlet it probably won't handle your AC, most likely you will pop a breaker. 

If you are using a long extension cord to plug your RV 30 AMP cord into you are looking for trouble, you will build resistance in the extension cord when drawing power and that will cause a voltage drop, which may cause issues with appliances etc.

If I were you I'd have a 30 (or 50) AMP receptacle installed at the house so you can plug in and get plenty of power.  I did that at both our previous home and where we live now.  With this set up you will be able to safely use anything in the RV.  In the past we've used ours as a "guest house" when family came to visit, and they can use the AC to keep it cool (We live in southern California.)

HI guys,
So I did test each outlet with a 3 light tester. When the gen is running im geting 2 yellow lights (correct connection)
on all outlets.

on the 15amp adaptor i get red/yellow. Which says its " hot/neu reverse. I should mention my 15amp source is a 2000 watt 13.3amp honda portable generator. The storage lot im in doesnthave AC.

But when I was at a camp site 2weeks ago I plugged the 30amp directly into the plug at the box with no adaptor and had the same results.

Thanks

If you are in the Flint MI area I can attack with voltmeter.

Or in another area perhaps someone else is near.

If you have a wire swap situtation.. Then you need to fix that, but even with that if half your outlets are not working,, Well.. the right wire swap will trip the GFCI since it will think there is a problem (Because there IS a problem)

Use that Three Light Tester on the house outlet.. See if it's in the house.

Also get an adapter that lets you plug that adapter into a 30 amp outlet.  Test the park's as well.  Wire swaps are fairly common, epically if it's wired at twilight and the technician can't tell the colors apart.

It is "NORMAL" for not everything to work when connected to shore power. My Coach works that way also. I have a 7KW generator and it runs everything - ie. both AC's etc. When plugged into shore I can only run the front AC and some other outlets.

As far as 15 Amp service, that just means if you use more than that you will trip the house circuit breaker - it will not hurt the RV.

Frank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom