3000 miles; two weeks; 6 people; a 21 year old RV and a tour of the southwest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Life interrupted so I just now finished reading your travel tales.  Just have to tell you again how much I enjoyed reading your narrative.  I hope you continue RVing and continue writing about your trips.

Margi

swinn said:
Gary, the tire advice given here is right on.  Unfortunately I had to learn it myself first hand to really believe it.  An explosion that sounds like a shotgun going off next to your head is enough to smack some sense into a person.  I am thankful it was a rear and not the front.  I can't imagine how violent a front blowout would be.

I really enjoyed your travel log.

Trust me... a front blowout isn't fun at all.  You felt a slight pull when one of the rears blow... it's not 'slight' in the least for the front.  What you need to do in the case of a front blowout is quite the opposite as your instinct might tell you.  You need to get ON the gas a bit to get it back under control, and then ease it over.  You instincts want you to slam your foot on the brake as firmly as you can without locking it up, which, in this scenario, will probably cause more trouble than help.

Scott,

Really enjoyed reading about your adventure and can't wait to read another one soon.

I also live in the San Diego area, East County and it sure has been hot here.

Cheers,

Barry

Great writing style! Loved reading about your adventures. We also lost our fuel pump after going through the south/west CO area. Mechanic who replaced it indicated City Market in the area had bad gas and he had lots of fuel pump failures. Don't know if that is where you got yours but we got some at the City Market in Cortez going to the Grand Canyon and again at the City Market in Cortez coming from the Grand Canyon. He recommended only getting fuel from Conoco, Shell etc when in an unfamiliar area. Basically the big brand names.

You should consider starting a blog to chronicle all your RV adventures. You and your family will really enjoy going back to read them in the future. Especially the kids.

Cheers!
Michelle
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/

micd111 said:
Mechanic who replaced it indicated City Market in the area had bad gas and he had lots of fuel pump failures. Don't know if that is where you got yours but we got some at the City Market in Cortez going to the Grand Canyon and again at the City Market in Cortez coming from the Grand Canyon. He recommended only getting fuel from Conoco, Shell etc when in an unfamiliar area. Basically the big brand names.

I think someone was telling you a story. We live in Cortez. We buy almost all our gas at the City Market there. And we have never had a single fuel problem in any of our vehicles, not the motorhome or the VW or the Ford or the Pontiac or even the lawn mower.

In fact, nearly all the gas in the area comes from Western Refinery and that includes Shell, Conoco, Mobil and all the rest. They use different additives but they get their gas from the same place.

Oh, and one more thing, City Market is part of King Sooper which is part of Kroger so it is a "big brand."

Wendy

You are an excellent writer and enjoyed it very much.  Glad everyone had a great trip, excluding the mechanical problems.  You and the family arrived home safely and that is all that matters.

I started reading this thread last night and couldn't stop.  The writing was so good, I found myself hoping that you kept writing the next installment, sort of a cliffhanger.

But sounds like you had a great trip even with all your "adventures" Hope to read more of your adventures in the future.

I am sitting in a repair facility waiting foor my fuel piump to be delivered and installed in the morning.  No AC problems, the snow on the roof is keeping us cool.  Furnaces running fine.

I missed this thread back when it started, read it all the way thru tinight.  I had a tow of about 120 miles yesterday.  Not fun.

This was the start of it.

Attachments

• 20111107-IMG_9103.jpg
    20111107-IMG_9103.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 29
Bill,

Glad you are safe and sound even with all the $$$$$$$$$$$ involved.  We are hoping you get a quick repair and can head south tomorrow.

I missed this thread too so thanks to PancakeBill for bumping it up.  I have literally Laughed Out Loud while reading about your trip.  DH kept asking what I was laughing at!  I love your writing style and your courage for completing a trip with 6 people in a MH.  There's not much doubt that this trip will be remembered and become legendary.

Soo..when is the next trip??

Back
Top Bottom