3000 watt generator rear mount ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rick kl

I was drawn for a seasonal campsite with no power this year and I will be using the generator for three months in one spot so moving it won't be a problem this year but down the road I will be towing with a SUV ( 2006 trailblazer long wheel base 327 motor) putting the generator inside the truck would not be a good idea and rolling it up inside the trailer wouldn't be ideal either.
I know this subject has been beaten to death (I searched and searched) and although the general consensus is that it is a bad idea to mount a 150 lb. Yamaha generator + rack on the back of a 24' lightweight trailer (3800 lbs. dry) has anyone done it and what as the result? Would mounting it on the hitch be better?

Rick kl said:
I was drawn for a seasonal campsite with no power this year and I will be using the generator for three months in one spot so moving it won't be a problem this year but down the road I will be towing with a SUV ( 2006 trailblazer long wheel base 327 motor) putting the generator inside the truck would not be a good idea and rolling it up inside the trailer wouldn't be ideal either.
I know this subject has been beaten to death (I searched and searched) and although the general consensus is that it is a bad idea to mount a 150 lb. Yamaha generator + rack on the back of a 24' lightweight trailer (3800 lbs. dry) has anyone done it and what as the result? Would mounting it on the hitch be better?

Yes, been there done that.  Had our 105Ib genset mounted on our 21' TT in 2005.  Mounted a receiver on the trailer bumper with a cargo carrier.  Lasted like 6mos, on a trip to Upstate NY to visit family, the entire carrier tore off the trailer on Rt15, many sparks and heart-ache.  Lucky... got it pulled over, was close enough for my brother in-law to come and put everything (genset undamaged) in his pickup.  While visiting, had a new bumper welded on and all was well again.  In the next trailer mounted a very nice 1k unit on the front hitch, served us well, larger genset only used after arriving at site on the ground.  Now have 5th wheel, 3.6k is in the back of the truck, when we get to destination and can't have truck close, will put unit on the rack that I'm constructing on the back, not while driving though.  I ran a 10/3 cord under the trailer, so actually do have gen power available if stopped in parking lot or where-ever from back of truck to the 50amp main plug in back of trailer.  Learned a few things over the years.... that's for sure.

How about a frame mounted receiver hitch on the back of the trailer, that is what we did on our 5er.

tvman44 said:
How about a frame mounted receiver hitch on the back of the trailer, that is what we did on our 5er.
Sounds like the "right way" ... my post was to display the "wrong way"!  I have no intention now of hanging again due to the length and exposure of the genset, with the TV and SRX, it's long enough while driving!  ....(in my humble opinion)..

tvman44 said:

did you experience any negative effects of the extra weight on the back of the trailer? Did it make a difference to your handling? The receiver hitch would be ideal as I already have a carrier I will have to check the structure of my trailer and see if it can handle a hitch back there.

Back
Top Bottom