31' or 36' travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h60engineer

Looking for some advice on whether to go to a 36' travel trailer or a smaller 31' as controllability and sway are concerns of mine.  I've been pulling a 40' toy hauler with a DRW F-350 and have enjoyed the stability that it affords.  I will no longer be pulling with the F-350 but with a RAM 2500 with equalizer and sway control.  Has anyone else made a similar transition or has anyone experienced the differences between a 31' and 36' travel trailer.  I have researched and understand that trailer sway is a function of many variables and can largely be eliminated, however would appreciate someone's personal experience between the shorter and longer travel trailers. 

There is absolutely no way would I ever tow a TT over ever again.  No matter what or how expensive a hitch setup youmopt for your still going to have between 1000 and 1500 pounds behind the rear axle which can create handling issues.

i would do it for sure - but it wont handle like a 5er for sure overall length will be similar because you don't have the over hanging front - i would NOT worry about its just a different animal thats all i have done both and had single rear and duallies - while its true the dually offers more stability with all the anti sway and traction controls on todays trucks i cant foresee an issue

I pull a 30' trailer just shy of 8000 lbs with a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Cummins.  Solid as a rock behind me.  As long as you have a substantial enough tow vehicle, the trailer is set up and loaded correctly, and you tow at a prudent speed, you should have zero handling issues.  I don't get an ounce of sway out of my set up.

steveblonde said:
i would do it for sure - but it wont handle like a 5er for sure overall length will be similar because you don't have the over hanging front - i would NOT worry about its just a different animal thats all

Exactly.  It will have different characteristics than a fifth wheel, but you shouldn't have any stability issues unless something is wrong.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!  Ask all the questions you want.  We are here to help.

Does the dealer have a similar size / weight / length TT you could take for a "test tow" to see how they handle?  One test tow is worth a thousand posts.

You will spend the vast majority of your time living in the trailer as opposed to driving it. Maximize it for living makes the most sense to me.

As Frizlefrak stated, it won't tow like a 5er  but if the hitch is setup properly -not an issue of towing a tt  We downsized from a 5er to a 30' tt  -it tows like a dream  we tow it with a ford f-250 diesel

SeilerBird said:
You will spend the vast majority of your time living in the trailer as opposed to driving it. Maximize it for living makes the most sense to me.
I'll throw-in with Seiler on this one.  While I won't go back to the TT, the max length possible would be my move if I were to go down that route.  It's only two of us now, however I just love that space...  For us and at this point in our adventures, the headroom is really great, heck, I can't touch the ceiling if I jump to reach it.

We just upgraded from 24' to 35'-11", or as I call it, 36' last September. I'll use base weight for comparison. 6300lbs dry vs 9100 dry. Had a 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi that actually pulled the new one quite well even in some hilly country in central Ozarks in Missouri. Amazing the power of the Hemi. Also added the Andersen hitch and man do I like it. Anyway, I new I was tipping the max load, but we only did a couple of short runs to see how it pulled and to go "camping"! And last week I took delivery of our new 2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L, fifth wheel and gooseneck prepped (just in case) and just the necessary goodies. The 2010 1500 was a great truck, but this one is a "truck". Can't wait to reset the hitch and take it down the road. Stupid winter time!! :-[
Anyway, we have slowly migrated from an 18' Keystone, to 21', to 24' and now the new one. Love all the space, 3 slides, WD hookup, etc. I would go with the big one and like previously stated, you're buying it to live in basically. With the right TV and set up properly it will be a great rig.

bttravel said:
We just upgraded from 24' to 35'-11", or as I call it, 36' last September. I'll use base weight for comparison. 6300lbs dry vs 9100 dry. Had a 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi that actually pulled the new one quite well even in some hilly country in central Ozarks in Missouri. Amazing the power of the Hemi. Also added the Andersen hitch and man do I like it. Anyway, I new I was tipping the max load, but we only did a couple of short runs to see how it pulled and to go "camping"! And last week I took delivery of our new 2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L, fifth wheel and gooseneck prepped (just in case) and just the necessary goodies. The 2010 1500 was a great truck, but this one is a "truck". Can't wait to reset the hitch and take it down the road. Stupid winter time!! :-[
Anyway, we have slowly migrated from an 18' Keystone, to 21', to 24' and now the new one. Love all the space, 3 slides, WD hookup, etc. I would go with the big one and like previously stated, you're buying it to live in basically. With the right TV and set up properly it will be a great rig.

Excellent choice.  The 6.4 mid duty is a great engine....and it will be night and day difference from how the old one pulled it.  To be honest, when it's time to trade trucks again, I may opt for the 6.4 instead of the Cummins. 

bttravel said:
not to question your judgement - but why a 2500 instead of a 3500?

Oh, you know, 220, 221........  ::) Have pretty much planned to stay with the TT we just bought. We spent a year looking at rigs and this one pretty much covered everything we were looking for. Plenty of room, WD hookup, the layout we wanted, etc. It has the cold weather package, sealed bottom, etc again. We looked at some really nice 5er's, really nice, but holy moly they are big. When I found one of those I really liked it was 40' and had 5 slides. Pretty much going to be the two of us and we just counting the days.

Frizlefrak said:
I pull a 30' trailer just shy of 8000 lbs with a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Cummins.  Solid as a rock behind me.  As long as you have a substantial enough tow vehicle, the trailer is set up and loaded correctly, and you tow at a prudent speed, you should have zero handling issues.  I don't get an ounce of sway out of my set up.

Me too... I tow a 30 ft TT just shy of 10k with a 2500 gmc denali cc 6.6 turbo diesel 4x4  and it's like its not there.  Of course, I am towing about 6k less than what I am rated to tow and I think that makes all the difference.  I only experience sway in heavy winds but I don't have sway bars installed, just a wd hitch.

TruckeeGirl said:
Me too... I tow a 30 ft TT just shy of 10k with a 2500 gmc denali cc 6.6 turbo diesel 4x4  and it's like its not there.  Of course, I am towing about 6k less than what I am rated to tow and I think that makes all the difference.  I only experience sway in heavy winds but I don't have sway bars installed, just a wd hitch.

Hook up your sway control.  I get zero sway even in windy conditions.  If I get a big gust, it moves the truck and trailer as a unit a tiny amount, but even then not much.  If it gets much beyond 25 mph crosswind, I park and wait it out. 

But yes....too much truck is a beautiful thing.  :)

Frizlefrak said:
Hook up your sway control.  I get zero sway even in windy conditions.  If I get a big gust, it moves the truck and trailer as a unit a tiny amount, but even then not much.  If it gets much beyond 25 mph crosswind, I park and wait it out. 

But yes....too much truck is a beautiful thing.  :)

"too much is such a waste - but not enough is a sin" anonymousestache  ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom