4 pin elect. Trailer plug to 7 way plug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panfish Pa

I recently bought my retirement boat, and the trailer has hyd disk brakes and backup lights. It requires a 7 way plug so the reverse light pulse can release the brakes on the trailer.
So my rig is a low mileage 04' 29ft class C Sunseeker, I had hoped there were splicing points in the oem wiring harness in the rear, but I didnt see any while looking under the coach. The only way I can see accessing the tailight/reverse light wires is through a interior bedroom shelf or by removing the actual tailight. So my question is do I need to splice into them or is there a wire run to the rear bumper via the frame? it seem there should be a aftermarket wire harness for this?

Does your Sunseeker have a trailer plug at all? I'm assuming it doesn't or you wouldn't be asking.

Does your Sunseeker have a trailer plug at all? I'm assuming it doesn't or you wouldn't be asking.
From the thread title, it looks like he has a 4-pin trailer plug(?) and he needs to add the wiring to release the brake using the reverse light?

I have heard of needing backup light power to lock surge brake mechanisms so the surge brakes won't work in reverse, that is what the flat 5 pin connector is for, but never heard of this with electric over hydraulic disk brakes........ or does the trailer have SURGE disk brakes?

As far as separate trailer light/brake wiring, I would think that Ford provided that in '03/'04, but it may be bundled into a harness and never finished out by the upfitter, or Ford possibly did not include it.

Charles

I have heard of needing backup light power to lock surge brake mechanisms so the surge brakes won't work in reverse, that is what the flat 5 pin connector is for, but never heard of this with electric over hydraulic disk brakes........ or does the trailer have SURGE disk brakes?
That's what I was thinking - it must be a surge brake system.

According to the 2004 Sunseeker sales brochure, it comes with a 5000 hitch receiver with a 7-pin plug. The center pin may or may not be wired as a reverse light, though. It's considered to be an optional/auxiliary pin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom