4 propane tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

browne07

My new Open Range has 4- 20 pound propane tanks. 2 on each side  with regulators.  I do not see a switch between the two sides so I assume it will draw off both if I left all the tanks in the open position.  Right now I am just working one side. My plan is to use the two outside tanks until the regulators say they are empty and switch to inside and fill up the outside tanks. Am I thinking correctly here? The dealer said the law is only 3 tanks can be used and the 4th is an extra. I hooked it up anyway.

I'm not aware of any such law (or NFPA code or DOT regulation) that would prohibit 4 LPG tanks in a vehicle, but I don't profess to be an expert in gas regulations. However, I've been researching LPG rules and regs with respect to RV usage for the last 15 years and nothing like that has come to my attention.  I have read that there are some DOT regs that kick in when the total quantity of LPG in a vehicle exceeds 90 lbs, but 4 x 20 is under that.

Sadly, even the industry pundits have a hard time sorting out the maze of federal and NFPA LPG regulations to figure out just what applies to RVs.

Forget what the dealer said.  Do what works for you, it sounds right to me.  FYI, propane nomenclature - 20#-100# are cylinders (DOT approved), motorhomes usually have a (Typ) 25gal horizontal tank and portable BBQs run on bottles.

Lady Fitzgerald said:
I wouldn't put much credence in anything a dealer says.

Well.. Considering my dealer said the motor home I ordered was going to be equipped with a Ford V-10 and an Allison Transmission (Allison trannies fit GM engines, not fords)....

If not for the fact I agree with you fully.... I would be forced to agree with you fully.

Oh, by the way, I did get the Allison.. and as I am not a Ford fan I'm very happy with my Chevy 8.1L Vortec V-8.

I guess I am not worried about the law and using 4 20 pounders. I was just wondering how the two sides interacted in drawing propane.

It all depends on how closely the regulators are matched to each other.  If they're the same you'll draw equally from both sides.  If one is set slightly higher than the other, you'll draw down the tanks on the higher side first.

Propane is stored as liquid with a vapor pocket on top.  When you pull vapor from the tank, more liquid boils into vapor to take it's place.  The point is the pressure in the tank stays relatively constant until all of the propane is used up.  It's not like a gas cylinder where you can look at the tank pressure to see how much gas is left.

If it were my set up, I would join each pair of tanks together with hoses and a tee fitting then a hose from each tee to an automatic change over regulator. That way, I would draw off one pair of tanks until empty, then, after the regulator switched over to the second pair of tanks, I could haul in the first pair for refilling. That way, I would be less likely to run all four tanks down at the same time.

Lady Fitzgerald said:
If it were my set up, I would join each pair of tanks together with hoses and a tee fitting then a hose from each tee to an automatic change over regulator. That way, I would draw off one pair of tanks until empty, then, after the regulator switched over to the second pair of tanks, I could haul in the first pair for refilling. That way, I would be less likely to run all four tanks down at the same time.

I too would do that.

I wouldn't both with the auto crossover since it already has a manual valve on each side.  You don't have to wait till the tanks run dry - just wait til the LP supply on one side gets pretty low and close off the valve on that side and open up the other side. Then get the almost empty tanks refilled.

He has a nice, simple system as it is now. Adding more plumbing and an auto crossover just complicates things with only a tiny increase in convenience. Just my opinion...

Gary RV Roamer said:
I wouldn't both with the auto crossover since it already has a manual valve on each side.  You don't have to wait till the tanks run dry - just wait til the LP supply on one side gets pretty low and close off the valve on that side and open up the other side. Then get the almost empty tanks refilled.

He has a nice, simple system as it is now. Adding more plumbing and an auto crossover just complicates things with only a tiny increase in convenience. Just my opinion...

I would prefer the auto changeover so I wouldn't have to keep wondering how low the tanks are, when should I switch tanks, and will the open tanks run out in the middle of the night. I also wouldn't have to make as many trips to refill tanks if I was able to let them get completely empty first. For me, that would be a huge increase in convenience and would be far simpler for me.

We aren't talking about a lot of additional plumbing or expense here. If the OP has two tanks on each side of the RV already hooked up to each other, then he probably has the lines from the two pairs hooked to a tee, then a line going into the regulator. There is a good chance that all that would be needed is to replace the tee and the existing regulator with an auto changeover regulator. Those aren't very expensive.

I would prefer the auto changeover so I wouldn't have to keep wondering how low the tanks are, when should I switch tanks, and will the open tanks run out in the middle of the night. I also wouldn't have to make as many trips to refill tanks if I was able to let them get completely empty first. For me, that would be a huge increase in convenience and would be far simpler for me.

You still have to check the tanks (the crossover indicator) occasionally to see if it has auto-switched. Otherwise you end up with all the tanks empty. It makes little difference if you refill the tanks at 10% full or 0% - it's only approximate anyway.  And 40 lbs of LPG (2 x 20) should last quite awhile unless the furnace runs a lot. And in that case you are going to be making frequent propane runs anyway.

But we all have different perceptions of what is "convenient", so we can agree to disagree!  8)

If the OP has two tanks on each side of the RV already hooked up to each other, then he probably has the lines from the two pairs hooked to a tee, then a line going into the regulator.
He already stated he has two regulators, with separate feeds to the main line.

If you opt for the Marshall changeover valve http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lp-gas-changeover-valve.htm you can get a remote changeover indicator http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/propane-regulator-valve.htm that will warn you with a blinking light inside your unit when the "main" tank is empty and you are using the "reserve" tank.  The remote sensor is hard wired to the changeover valve but does not require any power supply (there is a battery in the indicator unit).  I am a full-timer and installed this system in my motorhome before setting up in an RV park for the winter.  I now use 2-30lb. PNG tanks connected to the changeover valve and keep my full, built-in PNG tank as a reserve.  This works great for me.  The remote changeover indicator means I don't have to visually check the actual changeover valve, a definite advantage with our cold Canadian winters and my aging memory (Did I check the propane today?  :mad: ).

I believe that there is a limit of no more than 3 cylinders supplying propane to an RV.  It came up elsewhere in a conversation on DOT cylinders vs. ASME tanks.

Tunnel limits typically specify an amount of LPG in gallons, not a number of DOT bottles. Ditto for federal regs..

I've hunted for any limit on the number of DOT bottles and can't find anything in the federal regs. Could maybe be something that RVIA has in their member guidelines, but they don't provide those for free so I can't search there. Same problem with the NFPA 1192 LPG standard.

pixurit said:
If you opt for the Marshall changeover valve http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lp-gas-changeover-valve.htm you can get a remote changeover indicator http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/propane-regulator-valve.htm that will warn you with a blinking light inside your unit when the "main" tank is empty and you are using the "reserve" tank.  The remote sensor is hard wired to the changeover valve but does not require any power supply (there is a battery in the indicator unit).  I am a full-timer and installed this system in my motorhome before setting up in an RV park for the winter.  I now use 2-30lb. PNG tanks connected to the changeover valve and keep my full, built-in PNG tank as a reserve.  This works great for me.  The remote changeover indicator means I don't have to visually check the actual changeover valve, a definite advantage with our cold Canadian winters and my aging memory (Did I check the propane today?  :mad: ).

Thanks for those links.

Here is an article on installing an automatic changeover regulator and remote indicator.  The links at the bottom are old and some are no longer stocked where they lead but one can use them to get part numbers to Google to find out where to get them.

Just as an aside, although I have the auto switchover regulator, I have float gauges in my 40# cylinders.  They help a great deal in keeping an eye on the propane situation.

Back
Top Bottom