50 Volt, convert to 30 volt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

disystox

Hi all.  My 5th wheel  is 30 volt.  Is it safe to use a use a 50 volt conversion  cord to 30 volt.  The campground  gave me a a 50 volt camping site instead of a 30 volt that I requested . ..Jim

Jim, I think you mean 30 AMP not 30 VOLT.
Typically every RV pedistal I have seen have at least one 20A, one 30A and if equipped one 50A outlet.  So just plug into the 30A outlet.  If they have a 50A only pedistal go buy a 50/30 adapter.  Its just fine to use.

Yes adapter dogbone cords are fine to use, available at Wal-Mart in the RV aisle, online on Amazon, etc. cost around $25-$30 typically

Here is one that is very cheap on Amazon $7 https://smile.amazon.com/EPICORD-Dogbone-Adapter-Electrical-Converter/dp/B07ZV4CTCW/

Hi All.. thanks for getting me straight  on AMP and volts.  Also thanks for letting  me know it is safe to use A 50 AMP convert to 30 AMP.    Jim

For two years we worked at a campground that had only 50A sites - no 30A outlets on the pedestals.  We supplied 30A-->50A adapters to hundreds of campers with never a problem.

Be aware that converting from a 50 amp outlet to a 30 amp RV is not a simple plug change. The 50 amp outlet is essentially two 50 amp 120 volt circuits, while the 30 amp plug uses just a single 30 amp 120 volt circuit. The commercial adapters, such as those sold at Walmart, are correctly wired to use only one of the two 50 amp circuits for the 30 amp outlet on the adapter. The difference in the current rating is not an issue, since your RV only draws the current it needs, not the full available current. I know of a couple of folks that caused a lot of expensive equipment damage in their RV's when they tried to save a few dollars by cobbling together a mis-wired homemade adapter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom