5th wheel hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olpueblo55

I'm trying to decide how to choose the correct hitch for my 2005 F350 super duty LB dwr.  It has had a hitch before so the holes are already drilled.  I'm just not sure which brackets I need for the kit (I see a couple of different configurations and shapes of brackets).  Do most makes (like Reese or Curt) use the a standardized hole pattern for the bed rails?  Also, I see quite a variation in prices for 18,000 lb. rated hitches.  I would very much appreciate any feedback or advice!  Thanks all.

My truck had holes already drilled. I don't know what kind of hitch the previous owner had, buy my new hitch did not match up. The installer told me they are all different.

Curt and Reese use the same rails.  I used a Curt with Reese rails in a GM and RAM. No problems. I don't know about other brands.

Thanks you guys. I think I finally figured out what I need.  Going with the Curt Q20 and recommended install kit with rails, brackets and hardware for year and make of truck.

For some trucks, some hitch manufacturers have two different styles of "custom" kit. With one style, the brackets mount to the outboard side of the truck rails, and installation is fairly easy. The other style mounts to the inboard side of the truck rails. With that style, installation may require dropping the fuel tank and/or a heat shield.

Joel

Thanks Joel.  From what I can tell, it looks like this one mounts from the outboard side of the truck's frame rails.  Good thing to know though.  I've been going back and forth looking under the truck and determining where the holes are and comparing them to the installation schematics of the kits.  I feel fairly confident I've found the right one.  We'll see : )

I installed mine in a Chevy 2500, and then on a 3500 RAM, without needing to drop the tank.  However, both were SRW.

I installed mine in a Chevy 2500, and then on a 3500 RAM, without needing to drop the tank.  However, both were SRW.

Back
Top Bottom